Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding from another thread is that there are rear heated seats that will be activated with an OTA update. I didn't get that directly from Tesla, so, perhaps you have something more definitive from Tesla you can share.....
I don't believe with this first production version there are any rear heated seats or will be through an OTA update. If you read through the Model 3 Manual, it only makes a reference to the front seats having a heating element in them (Page 20 "Seat Heaters") and no mention of the rear seats:

"The front seats are equipped with heating pads that operate at three levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest).To operate the seat heaters, see Climate Controls on page 84."

Under controlling climate (Page 84) again only front seats mentioned:

"If equipped with the Premium Package, the front seats are equipped with seat heaters that operate at three setting levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest). When operating, the seat icon turns red and displays the setting level number using twisting red lines. "

On our early 2017 Model S we purchased a separate subzero cold weather package for an extra $1000 to get the rear seat heating, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters. Tesla has since made that part of the Model S PUP package. The PUP package changes features every so often sometimes later including things as standard so it's entirely possible come Model 3 third production (AWD) or sometime there after the rear seats will get heating as an option. I think they are trying to streamline the Model 3 production as much as they can until order levels aren't so overwhelming to fill.

I don't believe with this first production version there are any rear heated seats or will be through an OTA update. If you read through the Model 3 Manual, it only makes a reference to the front seats having a heating element in them (Page 20 "Seat Heaters") and no mention of the rear seats:

"The front seats are equipped with heating pads that operate at three levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest).To operate the seat heaters, see Climate Controls on page 84."

Under controlling climate (Page 84) again only front seats mentioned:

"If equipped with the Premium Package, the front seats are equipped with seat heaters that operate at three setting levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest). When operating, the seat icon turns red and displays the setting level number using twisting red lines. "

On our early 2017 Model S we purchased a separate subzero cold weather package for an extra $1000 to get the rear seat heating, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters. Tesla has since made that part of the Model S PUP package. The PUP package changes features every so often sometimes including things as standard so it's entirely possible come Model 3 third production (AWD) or sometime there after the rear seats will get heating as an option. I think they are trying to streamline the Model 3 production as much as they can until order levels aren't so overwhelming to fill.

hmm... would be interesting to find out if that Model 3 manual mentioned the automatic wipers before the OTA that activated them.

hmm... would be interesting to find out if that Model 3 manual mentioned the automatic wipers before the OTA that activated them.

I think I get the point you are trying to make there but with the rear seats if they don't have the wiring to them, no OTA software update will matter. Believe I read a third party company took apart the rear seats on their Model 3 (for recovering and customizing) and stated there was no wiring in them. Unless someone else discovers something to the contrary, not likely until then. But this is all getting off the topic of the thread which is the headliner.

The talk about the headliner irrelevancy is indication of what part of the production ramp we're in. People need something to talk about so will seize on anything. So right now, that discussion is generally 95% useless nonsense - after everyone has their car, that drops to about 94%.

Exactly.

It sounds as though people are complaining because Tesla changed something between the first "production" display cars or even the first production cars, and now. If your contract promised Alcantara and you got cloth instead, you have grounds for complaint. Otherwise Tesla is entirely within its rights to make changes that it views as improvements. But for me, I'm so glad that Tesla has gone 100% vegan that I don't care a whit whether the headliner and the dash cover are fake leather or cloth. I absolutely prefer cloth seats, but by all reports I'm going to love this car regardless.

In a year or two, if I decide to upgrade to P-AWD, I'll order it without the glass roof and with cloth seats. I'll take whichever headliner and dashboard material comes standard.

Funny. When I ordered my 2013 S85 in early 2013, I ordered the Premium interior (to get all leather on seats and dash etc) and Tech Package (such as they were back then), and got my car in May 2013. I did not pay attention to the headliner material. The headliner is a tan fabric--looks fine to me when I care to stare up (and remember I have a bit of a unicorn with the solid roof--no pano). When we ordered my wife's 2015 S70D, and she wanted the Premium interior, which included the next-gen leather seats, Alcantara headliner and Alcantara trimmed dash. She did not like the Alcantara, as it would show a heterogeneous pattern if it was rubbed/brushed in a nonuniform manner. She/we were able to get an unofficial 'off the build list' delete of the Alcantara dash, which was then covered fully in leather (like my 2013 model). At the end of the day, it was not the headliner texture/material (that she/I don't look at a lot), but what was in front of our faces (the dash).

That said, I get it when folks see something and expect it on their build/vehicle, and it is not there due to some unannounced transition in production (even if there was no explicit statement in the order or on the Monroney).

I think I get the point you are trying to make there but with the rear seats if they don't have the wiring to them, no OTA software update will matter. Believe I read a third party company took apart the rear seats on their Model 3 (for recovering and customizing) and stated there was no wiring in them. Unless someone else discovers something to the contrary, not likely until then. But this is all getting off the topic of the thread which is the headliner.

As part of the Alcantara controversy, an official Tesla email mentioned the heated rear seats as part of the Premium upgrade package, while justifying its value.

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!

As part of the Alcantara controversy, an official Tesla email mentioned the heated rear seats as part of the Premium upgrade package, while justifying its value.
If the headliner change created this much grief and controversy, imagine how much there will be on them walking back on heated rear seats. People made enough stink about not having a heated steering wheel.

If the headliner change created this much grief and controversy, imagine how much there will be on them walking back on heated rear seats. People made enough stink about not having a heated steering wheel.
What! There's no heated steering wheel !!

Ok, I did know about that :D:D
I love that in my Leaf, but of course I need it there because turning on the heater reduces range by 50% in winter, and that means 45-50 miles total. My Model 3 will be able to heat to 80F without impacting my daily drive.

In fifty-plus years of driving and buying new cars, I have never ever met or heard of anyone who cared about what kind of cloth is on the headliner. I have never heard of anyone canceling a Toyota or Honda or Chevy order because the headliner was one kind of material or another. To me this is just barely conceivable, that people "who care" would worry about such things. Would people not buy their Toyota or Mercedes because the headliner was cotton or suede? Does one have a choice of headliners when one buys a Ford?

Amazing. Not right or wrong. I assume you know the thread count on your sheets, the type of cotton in your shirts, and the type of rubber in the sole and heel of your shoes. I've never met anyone like that. Which proves that I've led a sheltered life, I guess.

I picked up my new 3 this afternoon. Honestly, I did not notice what kind of headliner it has. Never noticed my S headliner, either, after 5 years.

Last edited:
In fifty-plus years of driving and buying new cars, I have never ever met or heard of anyone who cared about what kind of cloth is on the headliner. I have never heard of anyone canceling a Toyota or Honda or Chevy order because the headliner was one kind of material or another. To me this is just barely conceivable, that people "who care" would worry about such things. Would people not buy their Toyota or Mercedes because the headliner was cotton or suede? Does one have a choice of headliners when one buys a Ford?

Amazing. Not right or wrong. I assume you know the thread count on your sheets, the type of cotton in your shirts, and the type of rubber in the sole and heel of your shoes. I've never met anyone like that. Which proves that I've led a sheltered life, I guess.

I picked up my new 3 this afternoon. Honestly, I did not notice what kind of headliner it has.
Congrats on the 3! Who gets the 3 and who gets the S?

@roblab FYI just to comment in general, headliner selection is totally a thing in premium cars. Most Germans premiums have several choices - for example a base cloth, a base cloth in a different color, some different higher-end textile, and then Alcantara as the line topper and on the extreme the quilted leather on the Chiron - and its ilk - is on the other end of the spectrum... What is available where depends of course on the price and car class...

The headliner is, after all, rather visible and vast area of the car. Tesla is not comparable to Toyota or Honda, brand-wise, though interior customization wise I agree they are.

I picked up my new 3 this afternoon. Honestly, I did not notice what kind of headliner it has. Never noticed my S headliner, either, after 5 years.
That certainly does not mean that other people shouldn't be concerned about their headliners.

Are you saying that people shouldn't be concerned......because you are older....or that everyone should be like yourself?

My friend's probably don't know that I'm concerned about headliners in a car. Why? Because that's not what my guy friends talk about.

Reactions: kablammyman
Other options were not typically available in other cars. Other car manufacturers did not advertise, give out for review, and present one headliner material then downgrade and deliver something else. Also it's not just the headliner, the pillars will also be cloth. Alcatara is a tesla thing, so it's not really something you can compare to other cars.

Other options were not typically available in other cars. Other car manufacturers did not advertise, give out for review, and present one headliner material then downgrade and deliver something else. Also it's not just the headliner, the pillars will also be cloth. Alcatara is a tesla thing, so it's not really something you can compare to other cars.

It very much is not a Tesla thing.

From the Model 3 web page: "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout,..."
Model 3

If you want to argue that they meant "heated [front] seating and premium cabin materials throughout" I'd say that's a bit hard to swallow. If the "throughout" didn't apply to the heating in Tesla's quote, the second part would mean that they have "cabin materials throughout," which is meaningless. The only sane interpretation of what it says on their web page is that the "throughout" applies to the seating and cabin materials, and that the "premium" applies to all of it.

That's on the website right now and has been there since before general deliveries started.