Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don’t care how it’s made, it’s amazing anyway. I’m just disappointed it is not being offered right now. They took it out in early 2016 for a while so who knows how long before it’s back. They are probably working on getting a new supplier. It isn’t as big of a deal on the 3’s but the S and X deserve better.

There is a global squeeze on Alcantara. Their supplier (who probably already disliked them, based on the common knowledge of how Tesla treat suppliers) decided to tell them to take a hike with their relatively small orders (with a delayed volume ramp up as a further annoyance) and instead decided to focus on their larger clients like BMW, VW, etc...... AKA they decided Tesla wasn't worth the headache.

What common knowledge? And what shortsightedness by those suppliers.

Great article! Thanks for posting.

Having Ultrasuede made in Italy under a more luxurious-sounding name was a great idea. In fact, it won Okamato an award:

Both materials are made in the same manner and to the same specifications with the only difference being the products color range and appearance. "After Ultrasuede started being produced in Italy under its European name, Alcantara, Okamoto would be named recipient of the Leonardo Prize, for contributing to the global luster of MADE IN ITALY."

See? Want a Leonardo award? Make something Japanese in Italy under an Italian name! Isn't that sort of what Marco Polo did with pasta?

Reminder that we have this other big thread on the headliner change:
Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???
I am concerned about the picture of the new material being pinched:
pinched1.png

What's up with that?!

Reactions: zmarty

Very little substance there. Just a few short paragraphs claiming that Tesla "throws suppliers under the bus" and blames them for Tesla's own mistakes when, according to the author, those suppliers are excellent, competent manufacturers that work just fine with "other car makers." There are no citations for his claims or any evidence offered. Just the anecdote about the disastrous two-speed transmission in the original Roadster. (Which I thought was a bad idea at the time, and said so the day I was given a ride in an engineering prototype.) And which Tesla ended up doing away with.

And on the other side from the very short hatchet article linked above is the car company that single-handedly created the electric revolution, that without any doubt builds the best electric cars on the market, and which I would say are the best cars on the market, period. And its CEO who also leads the first private company ever to successfully deliver payloads to the ISS, and I believe is also the first to ever land a rocket booster for re-use.

Why would a supplier want to work with Tesla? To be part of the transportation revolution going forward and potentially be part of the exponential growth of a new industry. Only one other car company (Nissan) has shown itself to be really serious about electric cars, and its technology is far behind Tesla's.

that without any doubt builds the best electric cars on the market, and which I would say are the best cars on the market, period.
I think you are really stretching your point there. I like Tesla’s and have three but I don’t think even Tesla enthusiasts would go as far as "best cars on the market, period", that’s getting silly. You can argue about "electric" but not cars in general. It makes your whole argument seem less realistic when you start saying things like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
that without any doubt builds the best electric cars on the market, and which I would say are the best cars on the market, period.

I think you are really stretching your point there. I like Tesla’s and have three but I don’t think even Tesla enthusiasts would go as far as "best cars on the market, period", that’s getting silly. You can argue about "electric" but not cars in general. It makes your whole argument seem less realistic when you start saying things like that.

Note that while I made the statement about "best electric cars" categorical, I made the statement about "best cars on the market" an expression of my opinion. That is my opinion, based on what matters to me in a car: safety and environmental impact.

I will admit that I've been chided before on my automotive opinions. I drove a 1989 Honda Civic for a number of years and one friend of mine laughed (good-naturedly) when I said it was the best car on the road: It was very fuel-efficient for its time, never broke down, handled well, was fun to drive (stick shift), and the station-wagon body style was enormously useful and practical.

So while I am aware that not everyone shares my opinion, I do think that Tesla is making the best cars on the market today. If someone gave me [insert anybody's favorite non-Tesla car here] I would sell it and keep driving my Roadster until my Model 3 comes. BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Lambo, Bugatti, Porsche; I'll take a Tesla over any of them. (Though I do wish that the Model 3 were a foot shorter and half a foot narrower. My ideal would be a Tesla Model S scaled down to the size of my old '89 Civic.)

After my earlier post in which I said i have alcantara in my S and don't like it, i have now been noticing it every time I drive. I realize that I *really* don't like it. It looks....tacky ... compared to the leather dash in my previous Jag XJ. In fact, I prefer the interior of the ELR to the S. The steering wheel on the ELR has Ultrasuede that also looks sloppy but at least it offers good grip and isn't as cold to the touch in winter.

Elon, save the alcantaras!
Hmmm, so in your argument that we should all get over accepting a lower quality headliner you say that you now notice on a daily basis how much you dislike the Alcantara in your S as compared to the more premium quality of the leather dash in your Jag and overall interior in your Caddy. Interesting.

And on the other side from the very short hatchet article linked above is the car company that single-handedly created the electric revolution, that without any doubt builds the best electric cars on the market, and which I would say are the best cars on the market, period. And its CEO who also leads the first private company ever to successfully deliver payloads to the ISS, and I believe is also the first to ever land a rocket booster for re-use.
I understand this is your opinion, to which you are entitled, but I disagree. Tesla has a lot of work to do before anyone can proclaim that it builds the "best cars on the market, period." You need to define what you mean by "best". Do you mean acceleration/performance? Do you mean comfort/luxury? Do you mean initial quality? Build quality? Features? How is it "the best"?

I love my Model S, but the best car on the market it certainly is not.

Reactions: zmarty
... You need to define what you mean by "best"...

I mean that I like them the best. :) They burn no gasoline, which right there makes them better than any car with an ICE, and the 5-star-in-every-category safety ratings completes it. You gotta realize that for me, any car that burns fossil fuel is evil. Cars that burn used fry oil are an intermediate category, but I don't think there's enough used fry oil to make a real dent in transportation. I make no bones about the fact that I'm a Tesla fanboy.

I don't care about luxury features. Heck, my old Zap Xebra was a piece of sh!t, and it was a better car than anything that burns gas or diesel. So, I hold a minority point of view, but I'll shout it to the rooftops. :D

I understand this is your opinion, to which you are entitled, but I disagree. Tesla has a lot of work to do before anyone can proclaim that it builds the "best cars on the market, period." You need to define what you mean by "best". Do you mean acceleration/performance? Do you mean comfort/luxury? Do you mean initial quality? Build quality? Features? How is it "the best"?

I love my Model S, but the best car on the market it certainly is not.

For me it is responsive performance. Any car that has any sort of transmission is automatically disqualified.

Reactions: Krugerrand
For me, the way Tesla handled this material change was unethical at best, and criminal at worst. Sure they never stated that any particular material was included, but nor did Tesla tell any of the thousands of people and the Press who they demo'd the "production car" that it was not going to be provided as shown.

Crappy way to do business even if you do have half a million people's reservations. Not how Tesla should reward us who loyally supported them for over 20 months.

What next, will Tesla slow the acceleration down and reduce the battery size, to just meet the published and EPA range numbers?

I’ve seen in some posts people waking up to this being a bait-and-switch, class actionable, and some are noting possibly criminal situation.

They’re missing how wide the deception from Tesla is, and on far more important issues than headliner.

How about the battery size and the range of these cars? Just a little important in an EV, right?

Tesla lies to us here. Elon explicitly tweeted the Model 3 cannot have a battery size larger than 75 kWh. What are they shipping? 80.5 kWh. If that’s not bad enough, apparently the usable capacity is 78.2 kWh. Yup even the usable capacity is more than the 75 kWh pack size Elon told us was the limit.

Tesla even was so bold as to blatantly change EPA numbers on range. EPA range rating on the LR Mod 3? 334 miles. Yet Tesla somehow got the EPA to suppress those numbers and make the public rating 310 miles.

Ugh, that confounded showy handling!!!

Tesla never gave us any warning that the Model 3 would have handling that makes us look like we think we’re better than people with BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc. I was told about an EV with good (but not too good!) range, not a hedonistic driving experience that’s going to shake up people’s ideas about the kind of performance possible that in this class of car. If this thing was going to be saddled with the handling of a BMW M3, Tesla should of told us in advance. Get it straight Elon, learn to underpromise and overdeliver.

Don’t get me started on the trunk opening!

Tesla quite clearly showed us a trunk opening at the reveal that was compact and modest. Now review after review comments on the oddity of the trunk opening that is disturbingly almost hatchback wide. It’s not just making the car less appealing, it’s this pattern of not even telling us they might deliver something other than what we were shown.

0-60 times which Tesla had to know some car shoppers obsess over?

Now that the car is getting out to more than Tesla/SpaceX employees, this looks like yet another bait-and-switch. That 5.1 second 0-60 they promised? Multiple reports using VBOXs of the actual time being on the other, the wrong, side of 5 seconds.

How many times has Tesla told us they’d learn from the Model X and not try to add too much tech into the Model 3?

This brings us to windshield-wiper-gate. We all saw the videos of the first couple thousand Model 3s. We all saw Tesla kept the control of those wipers to the driver only... no over-techy programming having the car try to handle the rain for you. Changed. Not only changed without advance notice, changed on those first few thousand cars already built and already enjoyed without this nonsense via an OTA update.

Look I get that some people like the look of the alacantara and prefer that it be there. From the photos I’ve seen, I think I’m one of them myself. I’m not saying anyone should not give their feedback. I just wonder about adding to feedback and seeking a response from Tesla to their concerns, ideas like outrage, intent to exploit the customer, criminality, etc.

This is the most important point. Some people didn't care about headliner, XM, AM, wheels or other stuff. Some do!
How would you feel if after 2 year wait, 1 month after you configured your car and paid the non-refundable second deposit you come to pick up your car and something you cared about and expected it there is not, yet there is another car just like your sitting next to it with that option present and you are told that thats somebody else car and we decided to upgrade your car by removing the option you liked without letting you know and charging you the same money. How is this fair? What does it look like to you when they ask you to sign all the documents and pay the balance before they show you your car ?