Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Admittedly, my experience with 'upscale' is ... shall we say, limited, but the one and only car I have ever sat in that truly impressed me with the cabin materials was the BMW i3 top trim. Every other car has been some variation on economy -- and I am fine with that.

Last edited:
I know this place is a echo chamber for many things, but can you imagine the echo chamber in the marketing meeting that came up with that press release?
"Yeah, yeah, tell them it was planned, that will make them think it wasn't a mistake"
"Best tell them the new stuff is premium and the same across 3,S & X"
"What do you mean S&X use the old stuff, OK, new press release for S&X then, that will fix that one"

I hope they get better at this communication lark, their feet must be getting tired of all the bullet holes by now.
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Fanatics are hard to please.

I found this vid awhile ago when everyone was going crazy with this Alcantara stuff. I couldn't say it better than this guy:

If the alcantara material is not expensive at all like he claims on the video. It give absolutely no excuses for Tesla to replace it with some cheap cloth. Why would Tesla do that? Alcantara looks so much more high end. Is Tesla doing this just to save a few dollars per car or something??

To the OP: You should care. The textile is a beeyotch to clean, looks cheap, and does not wear well. Further, if that's now the "premium" material in the PUP package, I shudder to think of what the base material will be.

Other than that, sure, ignorance is bliss. Not calling you ignorant. Having had both materials in two cars, I can tell you that if textile is the only option, it's just another reason to pursue a CPO RWD AP1 S85 as a bridge car for the next 3 years rather than to take a shot with a Model 3 and the higher TCO thereof.

To the OP: You should care. The textile is a beeyotch to clean, looks cheap, and does not wear well. Further, if that's now the "premium" material in the PUP package, I shudder to think of what the base material will be.

Other than that, sure, ignorance is bliss. Not calling you ignorant. Having had both materials in two cars, I can tell you that if textile is the only option, it's just another reason to pursue a CPO RWD AP1 S85 as a bridge car for the next 3 years rather than to take a shot with a Model 3 and the higher TCO thereof.

I don't understand the wear thing. Do you rub your hands lovingly on your headliner? Are you so tall your head rubs on the roof?

I don't understand the wear thing. Do you rub your hands lovingly on your headliner? Are you so tall your head rubs on the roof?

Let’s see if we can educate that lack of understanding a bit:

Actually, most of the smudges came from service visits.

The wear is most obviously seen at the B-Pillars. Those being the ones George Blankenship said would be replaced as needed. Search this very site for those threads and his post.

The Alcantera tends to wear better and it for sure fits/is held by the molding better.

I’m willing to bet the new grey waffle weave holds up better than the old tan textile. Because nothing could be worse.

Except perhaps for whatever will serve as the new base textile product. Half expect that the “premium” headliner material will be base as well. Then they’ll just configure the PUP differently which would be an easy out.

In fifty-plus years of driving and buying new cars, I have never ever met or heard of anyone who cared about what kind of cloth is on the headliner. I have never heard of anyone canceling a Toyota or Honda or Chevy order because the headliner was one kind of material or another. To me this is just barely conceivable, that people "who care" would worry about such things. Would people not buy their Toyota or Mercedes because the headliner was cotton or suede? Does one have a choice of headliners when one buys a Ford?

Amazing. Not right or wrong. I assume you know the thread count on your sheets, the type of cotton in your shirts, and the type of rubber in the sole and heel of your shoes. I've never met anyone like that. Which proves that I've led a sheltered life, I guess.

I picked up my new 3 this afternoon. Honestly, I did not notice what kind of headliner it has. Never noticed my S headliner, either, after 5 years.

Agree! I could not tell you what the headliner material was in any of the cars I've ever owned, except the CJ-5 Jeep which had no headliner, just a bare sheet-metal cabin. I could not tell you, without going out to the garage to look, what the headliner is in my Prius, and if I looked, I probably still wouldn't know what it is. The Roadster, like the old Jeep, has no headliner because it's got the cloth soft top that comes off, which I love, so it's cloth, but a pretty darn strong cloth.

I couldn't care less (there is no level of care below what I feel) for what Tesla chooses to line the head of my Model 3. I grant that people have a right to care about what they care about, and I strongly urge those for whom this is an important issue to cancel their reservations. You will not be happy with the car and you should not buy a car you will be unhappy with.

It's amazing that with all the intense dissatisfaction with every aspect of this car, there are still half a million people on the waiting list.

If the alcantara material is not expensive at all like he claims on the video. It give absolutely no excuses for Tesla to replace it with some cheap cloth. Why would Tesla do that? Alcantara looks so much more high end. Is Tesla doing this just to save a few dollars per car or something??

They probably made the change because they felt the cloth was a better material. Obviously, some people who've never seen the cloth disagree.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Get a Model S instead. You will be much happier with it. The S is bigger, fancier, has two screens, and is better in every way. Do NOT buy a car that you will not be happy with.

Seriously, people, do not buy a car that you will not be happy with.

Agree! I could not tell you what the headliner material was in any of the cars I've ever owned, except the CJ-5 Jeep which had no headliner, just a bare sheet-metal cabin. I could not tell you, without going out to the garage to look, what the headliner is in my Prius, and if I looked, I probably still wouldn't know what it is. The Roadster, like the old Jeep, has no headliner because it's got the cloth soft top that comes off, which I love, so it's cloth, but a pretty darn strong cloth.

I couldn't care less (there is no level of care below what I feel) for what Tesla chooses to line the head of my Model 3. I grant that people have a right to care about what they care about, and I strongly urge those for whom this is an important issue to cancel their reservations. You will not be happy with the car and you should not buy a car you will be unhappy with.

It's amazing that with all the intense dissatisfaction with every aspect of this car, there are still half a million people on the waiting list.

They probably made the change because they felt the cloth was a better material. Obviously, some people who've never seen the cloth disagree.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Get a Model S instead. You will be much happier with it. The S is bigger, fancier, has two screens, and is better in every way. Do NOT buy a car that you will not be happy with.

Seriously, people, do not buy a car that you will not be happy with.
But what do you REALLY think?

Let’s see if we can educate that lack of understanding a bit:

Actually, most of the smudges came from service visits.

The wear is most obviously seen at the B-Pillars. Those being the ones George Blankenship said would be replaced as needed. Search this very site for those threads and his post.

The Alcantera tends to wear better and it for sure fits/is held by the molding better.

I’m willing to bet the new grey waffle weave holds up better than the old tan textile. Because nothing could be worse.

Except perhaps for whatever will serve as the new base textile product. Half expect that the “premium” headliner material will be base as well. Then they’ll just configure the PUP differently which would be an easy out.

Five years on my Model S and I’ve never had the slightest problem with my headliner. I’m not particularly worried.

If you post on TMC you've probably had a pretty decent life...so who freaking cares if your state of the art electric car has a fake suede(oh...I mean Alcantara...from the rare and mythical creature of the same name) or cloth for a headliner? To appease the masses, an easy Tesla fix could simply rebrand the new headliner material. How about "Corinthian Cloth"?

"Tesla uses the finest, rich Corinthian Cloth on the Model 3 headliner. Handspun by virgins from the Corinthian Islands, this material is not only durable but will give your Tesla that certain "je ne sais quoi". (vs. that 68% polyester/32% polyurethane fake suede stuff")

I care. I have an early 2013 model S that came with Cloth headliner. The cloth was frayed and damaged @ the windshield on delivery day. They agreed to replace the cloth with Alcantara for free. The job was flawless. I now like Alcantara. The cabin is a little more quiet as it insulates better. I also like the look. I would like Alcantara in my model 3. Could have ordered in December but waiting for Tesla to iron out the kinks and also thinking about all wheel drive.

Just a personal preference, I would like Alcantara.

LOL....There is no way on god's green earth this was a voluntary change by Tesla.

Actually, I can easily envision such a scenario. You see an entire car, but there the responsibilities are divided into systems, with responsible design/release and chief engineers, such as Body, Interior, Powertrain, Suspension, Brakes, etc. Interior is likely divided into seating, IP/Doortrim, Applied Trim/Headliner, or some similar scheme. As the headliner engineer started to realize that he was off-target for cost, or quality, or even weight as production-intent parts were arriving, there may have been a quick (and sometimes desperate) effort to develop a target recovery plan, such as a material or supplier change. Once P&S identifies an alternative, it's PPAP'd, a CN is written and off we go with some other headliner arriving at the plant for final assembly. Did they notify PR or Marketing....who knows? I recall changes in production in my stint managing both cars and trucks when that was missed at the right time.