Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you post on TMC you've probably had a pretty decent life...so who freaking cares if your state of the art electric car has a fake suede(oh...I mean Alcantara...from the rare and mythical creature of the same name) or cloth for a headliner? To appease the masses, an easy Tesla fix could simply rebrand the new headliner material. How about "Corinthian Cloth"?

"Tesla uses the finest, rich Corinthian Cloth on the Model 3 headliner. Handspun by virgins from the Corinthian Islands, this material is not only durable but will give your Tesla that certain "je ne sais quoi". (vs. that 68% polyester/32% polyurethane fake suede stuff")

That's because it is cheap. Alot of people have a misconception of Alcantara. Between it and Cloth, give me cloth anyday!
It’s all about perception, it just looks and feels nicer so people like it. It may not cost much more as the material costs are minimal, it’s just makes for a nicer final product. Electric propulsion is cheaper to build, no difficult pesky emissions to meet and so many fewer parts, but it is spun as more expensive. It’s just perception.

I care a little ...
Given a choice, I want cloth

That is regarding the headliner. The plastic upholstery makes me unhappy; I just hope it will not kill the deal when we see it in person. My wife has already forced me to return a Lexus a couple years ago in part due to the plastic upholstery and I do not care to repeat the experience.

Last edited:
It’s all about perception, it just looks and feels nicer so people like it. It may not cost much more as the material costs are minimal, it’s just makes for a nicer final product. Electric propulsion is cheaper to build, no difficult pesky emissions to meet and so many fewer parts, but it is spun as more expensive. It’s just perception.

I found this vid awhile ago when everyone was going crazy with this Alcantara stuff. I couldn't say it better than this guy:

He's wrong about it wearing quickly, you know. I certainly picks up more dirt than leather, but is every easy to clean. Its really meant to be more durable than cloth, fire-retardant and provide seat grip for a performance car. I track my performance car - so that's why its there (picture shows on the seats and wheel on a car driven hard for the last 5 years) . I'm sure for a commuter car like the Model 3 - no need for it.
IMG_1684.JPG

He's wrong about it wearing quickly, you know. I certainly picks up more dirt than leather, but is every easy to clean. Its really meant to be more durable than cloth, fire-retardant and provide seat grip for a performance car. I track my performance car - so that's why its there (picture shows on the seats and wheel on a car driven hard for the last 5 years) . I'm sure for a commuter car like the Model 3 - no need for it.
View attachment 272715
No question about it, it definitely gave the car a punch well above it’s weight class. It’s all about the final aesthetics. Nice interior, that’s what Tesla should aim for.

If you post on TMC you've probably had a pretty decent life...so who freaking cares if your state of the art electric car has a fake suede(oh...I mean Alcantara...from the rare and mythical creature of the same name) or cloth for a headliner? To appease the masses, an easy Tesla fix could simply rebrand the new headliner material. How about "Corinthian Cloth"?

"Tesla uses the finest, rich Corinthian Cloth on the Model 3 headliner. Handspun by virgins from the Corinthian Islands, this material is not only durable but will give your Tesla that certain "je ne sais quoi". (vs. that 68% polyester/32% polyurethane fake suede stuff")

Oh great ANOTHER alcantara thread!

If you post on this site, you probably come here willingly. Nobody forces you to read the alcantara thread. And nobody forces you to care about it. If you don't like alcantara, good for you.

But complaining that others complain? What's next? A thread with people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about not having alcantara?

Wait, that's what I'm doing right now! Look what you made me do @Hotlobstah, look what you made me do!

Last edited:
I know this place is a echo chamber for many things, but can you imagine the echo chamber in the marketing meeting that came up with that press release?
"Yeah, yeah, tell them it was planned, that will make them think it wasn't a mistake"
"Best tell them the new stuff is premium and the same across 3,S & X"
"What do you mean S&X use the old stuff, OK, new press release for S&X then, that will fix that one"

I hope they get better at this communication lark, their feet must be getting tired of all the bullet holes by now.