Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who feels Tesla service is spiraling down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when I was big Tesla fan, I thought some owners were overreacting when they criticized Tesla. Now I can put myself in their positions.

My initial experience was luckily good. I remember when I got my first Model S 2016, they gave me many goodies. Also they set up a nice tables, nice Tesla folder, Tesla cup, Tesla umbrella, pen. And probably better trained representatives with class and they had better attitudes toward customers. They explained in details how to use the car very nicely.

Years later, when I picked up Model 3, I don't remember getting anything, not even a pen, or even a Tesla folder. Quick sign up and I was stranded with the new car. No explanation whatsoever. It was just parked and go drive and bye bye.

Well those are petty. With all price fluctuations, and service confusions, I still could tolerate. At least I could talk to the local customer representatives and tried to get things done. While I never required car wash, they got them done on good will. The loaners were ready and the experience was great.

These days, it takes hours to get hold and even after waiting, they said "hold on please" and then hung up on me on few occasions. Loaners are never available. They said they would tell me the parts would be ready just to find out parts are not ready after 1 day into the service. I had to drive 2+ hours back and forth.

I already mentioned in Model X forum but my car is clearly equipped with FSD package, and they come up with stupid B.S. saying I have EA only and I have to pay monthly subscriptions when I clearly have no software upgrade to make because it is maximized. The service guy pedantically saying Full Self Driving Capability package included means it is only CAPABLE but doesn't mean I have FSD. Long story short, the car is great but the whole company is a mess with communications. They are also confused with the price with $1500 and $2000 infotainment upgrade and tells different prices at different times. One rep says $1500 and other reps say $2000....

As once a huge Tesla fan, I cannot believe I am dealing with nonsense. Anyone else feel frustrated and downward service quality over time?

Yes, Tesla was very nice, answered their phones, and was attentive to its customers. However, it didn't work financially for Tesla as it kept losing money.

As soon as it stops being nice, the profit goes through the roof!

Haha, that is true. So to survive in today's market, I guess you can't be nice anymore. Sad world.

I don't know the whole story about the FSD, but there is a difference in the Computer being able to have FSD and additionally having FSD. Service is hit and miss, always trying to pawn off warranty work on aftermarket or some BS excuse that I have to dispute to get refunds for warranty work done.

Yes, the service is all over the place when it comes to parts arrival and pricing etc. They really are hit and miss. They insist I don't have FSD but car and app shows I have FSD. It is very confusing and nothing has been resolved.

Spiraling down? Nope. They hit bottom years ago. Not much room to get worse where they are now.
I am glad you are having great service compared to years ago. I feel I had better service years ago than now.

Haha, that is true. So to survive in today's market, I guess you can't be nice anymore. Sad world.

It's a matter of demands and supplies.

When Tesla was new, it needed to attract customers. That would be hard if it started with very bad customer service.

Good customer service costs money but as a new company, the focus was to grow and not profits so that's ok.

Once it got enough customers and even more customers than it would have dreamed of, it started to crack down on the customer service department to see if the demand would drop but it didn't. The demand keeps growing so there's no incentive to spend money on customer service.

Thus, we need serious competition to take customers away from Tesla to incentivize it to beef up the customer service.

Reactions: ATPMSD
So, in short, the master plan is:
  1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car

The roadster, S, and X are luxury, low-volume vehicles. The 3 and Y, not so much. Those are the "more affordable" mass-produced car that Elon was talking about. As such, their delivery is not accompanied by a champagne brunch and string quartet.

That said, the exponential sales growth has left Tesla struggling to expand their service infrastructure to match, and it shows. I don't expect white-glove treatment for my mundane auto, but answering the phone and maintaining parts inventory are straightforward logistical issues.

The main interaction/experience was calling in prior to my picking up M3 SRP in Sept and a M3 LR 2 weeks ago and they have been great. And we did a "service" of a tire rotate at the house and that went perfect.

Maybe I am used to dealing with BMW and MB but Tesla is a great.

Reactions: CyberGus
Back when I was big Tesla fan, I thought some owners were overreacting when they criticized Tesla. Now I can put myself in their positions.

My initial experience was luckily good. I remember when I got my first Model S 2016, they gave me many goodies. Also they set up a nice tables, nice Tesla folder, Tesla cup, Tesla umbrella, pen. And probably better trained representatives with class and they had better attitudes toward customers. They explained in details how to use the car very nicely.

Years later, when I picked up Model 3, I don't remember getting anything, not even a pen, or even a Tesla folder. Quick sign up and I was stranded with the new car. No explanation whatsoever. It was just parked and go drive and bye bye.

Well those are petty. With all price fluctuations, and service confusions, I still could tolerate. At least I could talk to the local customer representatives and tried to get things done. While I never required car wash, they got them done on good will. The loaners were ready and the experience was great.

These days, it takes hours to get hold and even after waiting, they said "hold on please" and then hung up on me on few occasions. Loaners are never available. They said they would tell me the parts would be ready just to find out parts are not ready after 1 day into the service. I had to drive 2+ hours back and forth.

I already mentioned in Model X forum but my car is clearly equipped with FSD package, and they come up with stupid B.S. saying I have EA only and I have to pay monthly subscriptions when I clearly have no software upgrade to make because it is maximized. The service guy pedantically saying Full Self Driving Capability package included means it is only CAPABLE but doesn't mean I have FSD. Long story short, the car is great but the whole company is a mess with communications. They are also confused with the price with $1500 and $2000 infotainment upgrade and tells different prices at different times. One rep says $1500 and other reps say $2000....

As once a huge Tesla fan, I cannot believe I am dealing with nonsense. Anyone else feel frustrated and downward service quality over time?
The BIG problem I have had is there is no way to talk to a person. No phone number to call and ask any type of question; except maybe if you select purchase a new car.

I have a neighbor friend that just bought a loaded Model 3 but his wife hates the car and refuses to get near it, drive it or ride in it because she cannot call and ask a question. He is so upset I think he will get rid of it without using it.

My experience with my S is; the no communication problem first, otherwise they are slow, and expensive. The work they have done has been excellent; once I finally get them to do it.

The facility is attractive and the people are professional and polite, that is, if you can actually get to talk to someone. My local, 1 1/2 hr away, service center is horribly overloaded with cars in for service, every inch is double parked Teslas crammed as close together as possible. It is obvious they need more service centers and a phone number to call to see whether or if or if they can or should fix something.

I would point out that BMW, Volvo and Mazda dealers have been worse, dishonest, damaging my cars and shoddy workmanship, however, you can call them and get lip service.

I’ve been very happy wh the local service. Before the Spokane service center I had a couple visits by our local ranger (Hector!!) Who was great. And after the service center went in Ihave had nothing but quick, courteous, and competent service.

Next month the replacement center opens up in Liberty Lake, WA which is only 15 miles from home. Hope my good luck continues.

john

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I’ve been very happy wh the local service. Before the Spokane service center I had a couple visits by our local ranger (Hector!!) Who was great. And after the service center went in Ihave had nothing but quick, courteous, and competent service.

Next month the replacement center opens up in Liberty Lake, WA which is only 15 miles from home. Hope my good luck continues.

john

100%. Nothing but satisfied with Tesla. BTW what is a "replacement center"?

100%. Nothing but satisfied with Tesla. BTW what is a "replacement center"?
The current service center is too small so they are replacing it with a new and much larger showroom and service center (and superchargers) opening up next month.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Just an update that I do have FSD after upgrades.
Service in Dedham lied. Full Self Driving Capabilities on the dashboard means Full Self Driving.
Bunch of idiots & crooks with their bromance running the center. They think customers are retards and probably think they can get away.
I will never visit Dedham, MA center, ever again. I would rather drive to Rhode Islands with longer drive distance because they are honest and more professional.

Last edited:
It’s been in a downward spiral for a long time no matter how many times Tesla/Elon comes out and says it is something they’re working on.
The more cars they produce and deliver, the worse the service experience had become because the service network just can’t grow fast enough along with the sales.

Mandatory Uber credits…
WTF how they think we’re going to take our little kids to school in an Uber.
I finally got a Polestar rental from Enterprise (for our Model X in the shop) after 3 days in our most recent service visit. Really small car, btw, coming from a Model X.

Reactions: Maximilien
My experience is Tesla can’t even service a defective 12v battery…

They don’t set their teams up for success… just set them up for bare minimum.