Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one...

Am I?

• Yes, you are the only cheap one around here

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No, I am totally checking the upgrades menu every waking hour

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming Q2 profit as everyone's expecting, I don't think you're gonna see any end-of-q discounting of anything going forward.

Why? Is someone expecting a bad Q2 profit number?

They are building 2 factories ( Germany and Austin Tx. ) and expanding another ( China ) amidst a pandemic during the most consistently worst quarter for the automotive industry throughout all of history.

At $2K, it's not worth it as a 2019 P3D Stealth was just a $2,500 extra cost.

Had I known that I could have purchased a stealth model last year, I'd have picked up a model 3 one year earlier and gotten the P3D-.

Therefore, I refuse to pay the full price for the boost knowing the above.

So a couple issues there:

1) The '19 was only about that price if you were lucky enough to find one in inventory with the exact color/wheels/interior you wanted- otherwise you were paying more for things you didn't want and/or not getting the actual car you wanted... you couldn't order the exact config in 2019. (You COULD in 2018 but it cost $11,000 more initially- $6000 more retroactively- making 2k for 1/2 the performance improvement a good deal).

2) Unless you have a time machine, what it cost in 2019 is irrelevant since it's 2020- and the P3D- isn't even sold anymore (and when it WAS sold in 2020, it costs the same as the P3D+, which is $8000 more than the LR AWD. Making 2k to get 1/2 the performance bump a great deal.

So a couple issues there:

1) The '19 was only about that price if you were lucky enough to find one in inventory with the exact color/wheels/interior you wanted- otherwise you were paying more for things you didn't want and/or not getting the actual car you wanted... you couldn't order the exact config in 2019. (You COULD in 2018 but it cost $11,000 more initially- $6000 more retroactively- making 2k for 1/2 the performance improvement a good deal).

2) Unless you have a time machine, what it cost in 2019 is irrelevant since it's 2020- and the P3D- isn't even sold anymore (and when it WAS sold in 2020, it costs the same as the P3D+, which is $8000 more than the LR AWD. Making 2k to get 1/2 the performance bump a great deal.

I know. And more importantly, I agree with both of your points above.

My point is that I feel like I missed out on an actual deal (P3D Stealth, which was a small fee more than LR AWD). Paying $2K now would still not get me a car as fast as a P3D-.

I know. And more importantly, I agree with both of your points above.

My point is that I feel like I missed out on an actual deal (P3D Stealth, which was a small fee more than LR AWD). Paying $2K now would still not get me a car as fast as a P3D-.

This! Had to pass up on a sleeper M3P in July 2019 and ended up buying LR AWD in October. Knowing that $2k could have unlocked the full M3P capability, I cannot bring myself to buy the acceleration boost at the same price. Oh well, my car is plenty fast too :)

True- and wouldn't get you track mode either.

But it'd get you (and apologies for this being somewhat less relevant since you're north of the border- still I expect the principle would stand up even if not the exact dollar amount) the quickest sub-$50,000 car sold in the US today.

You could also send $1100 to the electrified garage and get the $2000 boost for almost half price, if you're ok with the potential risks associated with that route.

True- and wouldn't get you track mode either.

But it'd get you (and apologies for this being somewhat less relevant since you're north of the border- still I expect the principle would stand up even if not the exact dollar amount) the quickest sub-$50,000 car sold in the US today.

You could also send $1100 to the electrified garage and get the $2000 boost for almost half price, if you're ok with the potential risks associated with that route.

When you put it in this perspective, it makes sense to get the acceleration boost. Do you have one? If so, was it worth it to you?

I would never go the hack route. The $900 "savings" is not worth the additional risk, even if I was out of warranty. I like getting updates and that is one feature that sets Tesla apart and makes us want to love our Tesla despites its (few) flaws.

Tesla has been reasonable.
If they offer full stealth unlock on LR AWD for $3000, for example, they would let existing boost buyers pay $1000 for full unlock.
I use it everyday, every stop light when I am at the front of the line, every freeway entrance when no one is in front, every quiet street where no one is around, every chance I get. I stomp on it and it takes off. 3.5 sec to 60 mph.