Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who ordered the five seat configuration??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are expecting our first child in September...which is hopefully around the time we get our 90d.

I read the forums daily and I was all set to order a six seat configuration after reading all the back and forth on TMC but my wife quickly put the kabash on that idea. Her rationale is that she wants to be able to sit next to the carseat (middle seat) while I'm driving and not have to lean across the gap to comfort the baby. Seeing as how we don't have several children to cart around we definitely don't need the seven seater and so I can't really argue with her logic. It also saves some money.

Anyone have any counterpoints that I'm not considering??

I briefly contemplated the 5 seater based on price; with my initial sticker shock. However, I had reserved early (was production #1104) and the note saying that it wouldn't be available until later made me worried that my car would arrive even later in the year!

5 seat configuration

My wife and I are expecting our first child in September...which is hopefully around the time we get our 90d.

I read the forums daily and I was all set to order a six seat configuration after reading all the back and forth on TMC but my wife quickly put the kabash on that idea. Her rationale is that she wants to be able to sit next to the carseat (middle seat) while I'm driving and not have to lean across the gap to comfort the baby. Seeing as how we don't have several children to cart around we definitely don't need the seven seater and so I can't really argue with her logic. It also saves some money.

ve

I am approximately 13,000 on the wait list. I configured the 5 seat because I wanted the extra room for skis and golf clubs, and the fact that it is $3,000 saved is not chicken feed. We did order most of the other options. Unfortunately, the 5 seat configuration will be produced later in the year. The plus side of that is some early production problems will probably be corrected.

NCEP: We met you and your wife at the Triangle Tesla meeting on Saturday and we're the couple that have the X ordered and a VIN.

After we left, my wife and I discussed your wife's rationale about sitting close to the infant--and that is definitely important. Leaning over that big gap in the 6 seater would be uncomfortable. But then we thought about it more, and the window of time that you need to be able to comfort an infant in the car seat is super short. Most of the time they fall asleep, and then they are quickly old enough not to need much comforting (except on a long drive). If she's driving she'll have to pull over to get to the child no matter the seat configuration.

I'm not trying to change your decision, as everyone has a different need/opinion. However, I'd hate for you to make a decision based on something that only lasts a tiny amount of time, and then regret it later. That's just my thought on it--I hope it helps as it seems you are still contemplating your decision.

BTW, does that mean you had the six-pack and configured your order??

- - - Updated - - -

ve

I am approximately 13,000 on the wait list. I configured the 5 seat because I wanted the extra room for skis and golf clubs, and the fact that it is $3,000 saved is not chicken feed. We did order most of the other options. Unfortunately, the 5 seat configuration will be produced later in the year. The plus side of that is some early production problems will probably be corrected.

Howrayg: The 5 seater seems like it would definitely be better for golf clubs, but skis you may have a problem--I don't think there's enough length space to fit skis. I would ask someone who has the seven seat version already to measure the depth.

ve

We are a retired couple and I wanted six seats because I thought they looked better than 5 seats. My wife wanted 5 so that's what we ordered. $3,000 more is a very big deal when you are spending at least 50k more than you can afford. We are a few hundred more than 13,000 so hopefully we can get delivery in September.

I checked in the Model S and the skis fit. The second row in the X will fold down, or at least partially fold , allowing the skis to fit. Thanks for your response.
The second row does not fold at all. It can tilt a bit, but the only way to fit a long item like skis is to try to fit it in between the gap with one of the seats all the way forward and the other seat all the way back. I would caution expecting things to work out based on the Model S as the seats are not the same.

Last edited:
I will share my two cents, for what they are worth. My wife and I have had six SUV/CUVs over the years: One Explorer, three Grand Cherokees and two FX35s. All have been four doors with liftgates. All have been five seaters. All have allowed the second row to fold flat for extended cargo. Since there are just the two of us; since we have never needed to carry seven people; and since the second row of the MX does not fold down flat for carrying extended cargo, we ordered the six seater so that skis/surfboards/lumber can slide up the middle of the MX. A five seater or seven seater will not easily allow for extended cargo. With that being said, had Tesla not had the six seater option as a compromise solution for extended cargo and people, the lack of fold-down second row would have been a deal killer for a MX, for us.

If the extended cargo is not an issue, then the decision for choosing the 5 seater or 7 seater would be the same for the MX as it is the MS, in my opinion, as two full sized adults can fit in the third row of both, but realistically speaking - not comfortably or unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

We are retired and ordered the 5 seat configuration because we never have more than 4 people in our cars and do not need the 3rd row. The extra money for more seats is something we did not want to spend.

With that being said, had Tesla not had the six seater option as a compromise solution for extended cargo and people, the lack of fold-down second row would have been a deal killer for a MX, for us.
Same here. We were going to wait for a possible folding second row but after looking at the 6 seater at the reveal felt we could make that work OK. But not as good as a true folding second row would. (ie I can get skis in between the seats but cannot put bikes in the back of the car.

Ordered the 5 seat configuration, as when I have 5 or 6 people going on a trip, we will need to use all the storage we can get behind the middle row seats for all the stuff we usually take along.

Currently have a 5 seat config in my Grand Cherokee and find we need the space in the rear when we pick up people from the airport.

When we have family with small kids, they also need the rear space for fold up strollers and baby bags.

ve

It's true only if the seat folds which no one knows for sure at this moment. BTW what we do know now is 6 seat configuration would allow you to do that.

I ordered a 5 seat configuration. Just the two of us and two dogs. I wanted the back area free of seats so the dogs could ride back there. We don't have four passengers very often. Maybe 5 times a year, so it just made sense to get the 5 seat configuration.

Two adults, one small dog. We are hoping for a bit more space without the 3rd row. We too really hoped for a folding second row. I would love for a four seat version. Seems possible, the six seat minus the third row. I would have space for skis, other long items.

This was the exact reason the wife adamantly refuses to consider the 6 seat version. We did a trip to Denver when our minivan was in the shop and we had to borrow my parents SUV which is a 6 seater with a massive console between the 2 second row seats. She didn't like leaning over and preferred how she can sit right next to the rear facing infant seat in both our minivan and sedan. So we are going with 7 seat, which will run 5 seat most of the time, and 7 seats for occasional short runs.

I ordered a 5 seat configuration as well. We have two teenagers and we find a five seat works just fine. We have not become the neighborhood taxi service anyway as things have evolved so I don't see the need to pay extra. Plus I find third row seats quite claustrophobic. I haven't actually sat in the MX but I can't imagine it would be any different feeling.

NCEP: We met you and your wife at the Triangle Tesla meeting on Saturday and we're the couple that have the X ordered and a VIN.

After we left, my wife and I discussed your wife's rationale about sitting close to the infant--and that is definitely important. Leaning over that big gap in the 6 seater would be uncomfortable. But then we thought about it more, and the window of time that you need to be able to comfort an infant in the car seat is super short. Most of the time they fall asleep, and then they are quickly old enough not to need much comforting (except on a long drive). If she's driving she'll have to pull over to get to the child no matter the seat configuration.

I'm not trying to change your decision, as everyone has a different need/opinion. However, I'd hate for you to make a decision based on something that only lasts a tiny amount of time, and then regret it later. That's just my thought on it--I hope it helps as it seems you are still contemplating your decision.

BTW, does that mean you had the six-pack and configured your order??

- - - Updated - - -

Howrayg: The 5 seater seems like it would definitely be better for golf clubs, but skis you may have a problem--I don't think there's enough length space to fit skis. I would ask someone who has the seven seat version already to measure the depth.

Hey Proven,
Thanks for the input. Yep, I knocked back a bourbon, closed my eyes, and hit the order button.

Good points by all. I brought them up to my wife one by one and she said something to the effect of "I don't care we are getting the five seater". I think that means case closed for me. But it's going to be her daily driver and I'm already spoiled by the model S. I'm just happy she has bought in to the Tesla revolution and really glad she and the baby will be in a super safe car. Also she is saving me money which is unusual....hmm, makes me suspicious.