Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who ordered the five seat configuration??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Proven,
I brought them up to my wife one by one and she said something to the effect of "I don't care we are getting the five seater". I think that means case closed for me. But it's going to be her daily driver and I'm already spoiled by the model S. I'm just happy she has bought in to the Tesla revolution and really glad she and the baby will be in a super safe car. Also she is saving me money which is unusual....hmm, makes me suspicious.
I think this means it does not make any difference what you buy. If it's not right later it's your fault.:smile:

You know there are women on this forum and the boys club jokes get a bit tiresome...:wink:

You're right, sorry about that. Will be more mindful.

I was just walking the dog and started wondering if the money "saved" on the five seat configuration should be applied towards a p90d...see this is the problem with being slightly obsessed, logic no longer applies.

In all seriousness I don't think we ever need to carry long objects (we don't go snowboarding or surfing much anymore, it just seems like a lot of work now)so I'm comfortable with the five seater. In a pinch we could fold the seats down in the S if we really needed to move something.

Hey Proven,
Thanks for the input. Yep, I knocked back a bourbon, closed my eyes, and hit the order button.

Good points by all. I brought them up to my wife one by one and she said something to the effect of "I don't care we are getting the five seater". I think that means case closed for me. But it's going to be her daily driver and I'm already spoiled by the model S. I'm just happy she has bought in to the Tesla revolution and really glad she and the baby will be in a super safe car. Also she is saving me money which is unusual....hmm, makes me suspicious.

Whatever the decision, at least you can feel like you explored all the options before drinking and ordering!

Ordered the 5 seat. Just two of us and the dogs on trips. No need for the back two seats.

Something I haven't seen mentioned (and pure speculation on my part). Without the third row seats the floor of the cargo area should be level with the floor of the second row. This is because the third row sits on a hump in order to allow leg room for the third row. No third row seats...no hump! So long items (e.g. skis) should be able to slide under the pedestal second row seat.

[Unless something really important such as the rear motor is under that hump. In which case I refer to my disclaimer "pure speculation on my part".]

tesla-model-x-04-ppp.jpg
2016-TESLA-Model-X-14.jpg

Attachments

• tesla-model-x-04-ppp.jpg
    tesla-model-x-04-ppp.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 96
Yeah, I imagine there is a motor under there but you bring up an interesting point with the third picture. It looks like you could move the seats forward in a five seater and possibly be able to slide long thin objects underneath the seats (hard to tell what the angle would be like).

It has been confirmed elsewhere that the "hump" will still be there, and for some reason will be at a higher height than the seat base in the 3-row version. That is, the hump will be as high as if you had a 3rd row, but had it folded "flat". Postulate at will, but the most reasonable answer I saw what that they have the cargo tray setup for "leveling" at the levels of: flush with transom, flush with folded seats, in base of compartment. Moving that seems trivial to me, but who knows..

Either way, a 5 seater will still be burdened with the bump in the back, which is why to me, the savings appear to be the only benefit to that configuration.

It has been confirmed elsewhere that the "hump" will still be there, and for some reason will be at a higher height than the seat base in the 3-row version. That is, the hump will be as high as if you had a 3rd row, but had it folded "flat". Postulate at will, but the most reasonable answer I saw what that they have the cargo tray setup for "leveling" at the levels of: flush with transom, flush with folded seats, in base of compartment. Moving that seems trivial to me, but who knows..

Either way, a 5 seater will still be burdened with the bump in the back, which is why to me, the savings appear to be the only benefit to that configuration.

No. The hump will be there but will NOT be the same height as the folded seats. The folded seats are level with the UPPER shelf position of the rear cargo shelf. When there are no 3rd row seats the hump will be level with the LOWER shelf position. Confirmed by the guys at the factory meet the X event.

I checked in the Model S and the skis fit. The second row in the X will fold down, or at least partially fold , allowing the skis to fit. Thanks for your response.

I want to correct the above statement. The second row wil partially fold, which means that skis will fit in on an angle,and there will be seating for 2 persons only. I had to change the configuration to the 6 seat version, and to my dismay, Tesla did not waive the $500 change fee. This is no way to satisfy customers, particularly as there is no definitive information from Tesla about the ability of the second row to fold down in the 5 seat version.

I want to correct the above statement. The second row wil partially fold, which means that skis will fit in on an angle,and there will be seating for 2 persons only. I had to change the configuration to the 6 seat version, and to my dismay, Tesla did not waive the $500 change fee. This is no way to satisfy customers, particularly as there is no definitive information from Tesla about the ability of the second row to fold down in the 5 seat version.
If you got the 6 seat then why do you need to move the 2nd row and tilt it at all? Just put the skis between the seats on a box or something. That's what I am planning on doing until some enterprising company (TSportsline I am looking at you) makes a center console I can rest them on.