Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y is another disappointment but I guess that is what they are going for now a days. They are mass producing cars that all look the same in the same colors with the same boring 2 color interiors. They all look cookie cutter and there is less and less separation from the models and nothing unique about them anymore.

Finally someone here that is not a diehard fanboy and sees the things as they are !

Doesn't look tall enough. More like a hatchback than a crossover.

The more I think about it Elon should rename it the Tesla Hatchback.

I was thinking the exact same way, they call it a SUV but I don't see it anywhere a SUV, except being a hatchback with an AWD option

Reactions: austinmichaeld
Finally someone here that is not a diehard fanboy and sees the things as they are !

I was thinking the exact same way, they call it a SUV but I don't see it anywhere a SUV, except being a hatchback with an AWD option

Not impressed either. Not that I dislike the Y per we, just that introducing this after the 3 and it being an almost identical copycat even down to using the same wheels is lame.

This is probably what they should have made all along, instead of the 3. The small suv/hatchback will have much larger appeal.

Doesn't look tall enough. More like a hatchback than a crossover.

The more I think about it Elon should rename it the Tesla Hatchback.
Not impressed either. Not that I dislike the Y per we, just that introducing this after the 3 and it being an almost identical copycat even down to using the same wheels is lame.

This is probably what they should have made all along, instead of the 3. The small suv/hatchback will have much larger appeal.

Agree, maybe they should have made this from day one instead of the model 3
It's the same s**t anyway

I saw the Y in person for quite a bit and rode in it.

It looks great to me.

Since I don’t have appearance complaints about the 3, the Y being similar is not an issue to me.

Are those who think the Y looks to close to the 3 wiling to pay for an X to differiante themselves? I think not.

Y borrows from the 3 as much as possible.
Y has to be as cheap as possible.
Y has to be released as soon as possible.

The car has done its job by being a very nice CUV while being cheap for a Tesla.

Objectively speaking, the difference X and S is far greater than 3 and Y.

Last edited:
Do you understand the concept of aesthetics & subjectivity? Because someone might like a particular design does not automatically make them a ‘fanboy’. Similarly, if someone dislikes a design it doesn’t necessarily make them a ‘hater’ of the company either. Good grief.

Your approach is ‘my way or the highway’.

Tesla is not becoming sexy in terms of design but rather bland and boring
Model Y is a copy-paste of the Model 3
It's a rather boring looking "SUV" for that price tag ...
All they focus on is "price reduction" and how to make vehicles cheaper for them to produce
There was nothing "wow" about the reveal of the Y, no new tech, nothing, just BORING BORING BORING

Did anyone really expect to be wow'd by the Model Y reveal?

It was already stated beforehand that it would share most of its components with the Model 3 in order to save costs and production complexity. So the result they presented totally reflected that.

While I don't think the Model Y is the most beautiful car on the planet I don't find it ugly either. Certainly not as bloated as the Model X, which from many angles (granted, not from the front) to me looks like a bowling ball on wheels.

It’s been said before more eloquently but it’s not a good looking vehicle in my opinion however there aren’t too many CUV type vehicles that are well proportioned. The roadster and S are beautiful designs. The 3 is good. The X is ugly and this is somewhere between the 3 and X.

That being said I like that it’s a hatch and if it has more ground clearance than my 3 if have to consider it. This winter in Minneapolis has needed ground clearance.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and pjoseph
I'm not so much concerned about the looks. An SUV is utilitarian. Will it work? Is the seating position higher? Is the second row more spacious than the dreadful second row in Model 3? Those are the kind of things I was hoping to learn, and did not.

As much as it's a piece of junk
It's pretty hard to make any SUV look good. I haven't seen one ever that is "attractive". They're all boxes on wheels in my book. I think the Y is about as good as it gets for an SUV.

As much as it's probably a piece of junk and I would never buy one (unless they made it electric), I think the Nissan Murano is about as good-looking of an SUV you can get -->

12658_cc0640_001_KAD.jpg

Will you cut it with your bezel already ?

The X3 and Macan are much better looking, especially on the interior,
And I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but the next generation Macan will be electric only, Tesla is going to have a hard time if they are becoming so bland and stop innovating in both performance,tech and design

Just be realistic and stop acting like a tesla fanboy, model Y is uninspired and ugly
If it was the design of a 25.000$ car I would have said YES, but for a car starting at 39.000$ it's a big NO

Sorry but you need to keep up with current trends. For apartments, it is floor to ceiling windows, and simple sleek design. Same for phones. Tesla is pioneering this for cars as well.

The model Y will easily be very popular with people who can afford it. Not everyone wants their cars to look like a transformer. Only a small segment and alot of those people only buy used anyway.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I’m not a big fan of the design either. This falls more in line with the x1, gla, etc style and height wise. I’m a fan of the Audi suvs. I would consider the q4 etron that’s coming around the same time. Probably will directly compete with this size and price point wise.

I’m not a big fan of the design either. This falls more in line with the x1, gla, etc style and height wise. I’m a fan of the Audi suvs. I would consider the q4 etron that’s coming around the same time. Probably will directly compete with this size and price point wise.

Question, what about the X1 is similar to the Model 3 when it comes to height?

From a spec perspective the E-tron died last night. I can understand some people may prefer Audi as a brand and will feel at home in the luxurious interior, but $75K starting and 250 mi of range vs. $39K or $47K for 230/300 mi? Yikes.

Reactions: Olle and abasile