Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll see, but I doubt it. They're probably just implying the sheetmetal wont change. The larger eTron is extremely toned down and bland compared to initial concepts and I can't imagine they've had a change of heart for this cheaper model. Why would they make it significantly more attractive and modern than the flagship? They wont. All of that fancy lower bodywork will be generic like the larger eTron, and if those headlights are indeed production (doubt it) they wont pass US regulations anyway. I can tell just looking at them.

Proportionally, I believe this concept is production ready...but once you remove the modern details and exaggerated bumpers and lights...its a very generic design that looks like every other Audi suv...just like the larger eTron does. Its attractive but generic. The Model Y is weird but much cooler (imo).

The problem with the original etron is, that the PPE isn’t ready and will be based on the Porsche J1 tech and the MEB wasn’t ready either.

So for synergies, they had to make it in a way, that they can build it with the Q5. That leads to the very toned down exterior looks.

Also, Audi has no problems with putting newer tech in non flagship vehicles. The A4 was the first with the virtual cockpit, before they had it in the A6, or higher.

TSLA Stock dropped by over $15 today, so yeah there is probably not much love for the MY.

Tesla has always been a "sell the news" stock. I think they did exactly what they needed to do with the MY and that it will sell well. Getting the car into production will be a lot easier than the model 3.

The issue here is Tesla as an entertainment company. The reveal was not nearly as exciting as the semi + roadster event.

Th E-tron will take some higher end Y sales, but the "warts" of these new EVs have mostly not yet been revealed. In many ways they are a generation behind Tesla.

I am surprised by the amount of people complaining that it looks like a stretched version of the Model 3. Isn't that the whole point? The commonality of parts will make production much easier, and design language is common to many car lines (like BMW's grille shape).

Porsche did the same stretch thing with their SUV after all.

ULlEOS6.png

It's OK I guess. What really should exist is this: Remetz Shooting Brake

I think you really meant this: the Qwest Shooting Brake

Last edited:
OK, that's going way too far. I said I thought all SUVs were ugly, but you picked the ugliest of the ugly. That thing should win a Nobel prize for bad design. I wonder if the whole design team got fired after its release.
I disagree. It was universally panned for being ugly back then because it was so unique. Now a days it isn't that far off some of the SUV and CUV designs out there. Doesn't look near as bad in retrospect. My opinion of course.

"The biggest problem with the E-Tron is the Electrify America network isn't anywhere close to the size, and number of stalls that the Supercharger network has."

By 2021 when most mere mortals are in a position to drive away with a Y expect the CCS fast-charge network in the US to be viable. Not at parity with Tesla, but viable.

As far as the the looks, the problem with the Y is that it has an expanded glass area and a shortened front hood. This gives it swolen proportions that start to evoke memories of the AMC Pacer. If we had nothing to compare it to, then it would be easier to accept the design as-is. Seeing it right next to a 3 seems to give it an uncanny-valley effect, like you're seeing almost a twin brother that is slightly "off".

What they should have probably done is give the Y more of its own unique identity beyond chrome-delete, especially the front fascia. I actually think both the 3 and Y should drop the duckface and go with something more Porsche-like. Musk himself responded to a Porsche photoshop suggestion for the 3 and said the front was going to be altered, but all they did was soften the diagonal creases but otherwise leave the duckface.

Given that the Y isn't coming out for some time any change to the front fascia could be part of a stylistic refresh anyway.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on here. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300+ mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the market is custom tailored to the Y.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

A WHITE w/WHITE interior Y Performance with black anodized trim & full tinted unobstructed Sky Roof = Very Nice!!!

White Y.jpg

I just want to make clear that even I said all SUVs are ugly I do believe the Model Y will be successful. A puffed up Model 3 is still way better looking and performing then anything the competition can come up with. I have no use for an SUV, but 10 of millions of other buyers do and I think if you compare the numbers the Model Y looks nearly untouchable. No one that I've seen can match the price vs. performance of the Model Y in that market space.

I think around the side windows they need to add a new option: “chrome-delete: delete”

For me the chrome frame around the side windows creates a kind of face for the car by defining its eyeline (maybe that’s why women’s makeup calls them eyeliner pencils, haw) and with it blacked out, the Y’s face is rather subdued. Black out the same chrome from the 3 and you’d see what I mean.

I think it looks great, but after having been reamed by Tesla for buying the performance 3 early and double reamed after adding imaginary full self driving to save money, and triple reamed by prepaying for a spoiler that is only available to those who did not prepay for it, my early adopter phase is now officially over.

I would like a slightly bigger car and my wife needs a replacement for her MDX, We were all set to put down deposits on a couple of model Y's but after the Model 3 fiasco we have cooled our jets

So being a potential Audi [Q4 E-tron] customer, do you think the legacy automakers are breathing a sigh of relief after last night's unveil? Feels like they've almost been given a chance to catch up...
Completely trouncing them would be counter to Tesla's mission.

If only some of these other companies would start building supercharger equivalents. Until they do as well as make self driving features a priority, they will remain Yugo equivalents.

Looking at the bezel on the Macan's "panoramic" roof, I can safely say that the Model Y is far ahead in the looks department. If your phone had a bezel that thick, you would be ridiculed on YouTube.

View attachment 386589

Same deal with the X3. Huge bezel on the roof. Has the ugly sharkfin on top. There are edges sticking out everywhere. Fake grills. I don't think Tesla has to worry about the competition when it comes to looks.
View attachment 386594
What is a bezel on a car? My watch has one, but I don't know what part of a car would be a bezel.

That "ugly shark fin" probably gives the Macan good radio reception, something no Tesla has.