Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I unplugging the wrong way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the latest software Monday night. Ever since, I can unplug just by pressing the button and waiting a second. Perhaps this was one of the unspecified bug fixes. Or just a coincidence.
When you say "pressing the button" you mean tapping it? Or press-and-hold? If you mean tapping, it would be interesting to know if this works even if you ensure the car is drawing current (for example, by having it start charging, or by turning on climate control).

When I picked up my Tesla a few weeks back I was told that the amount of time I kept the button pressed was directly related to how long the cable would be unlocked for, he suggested 3-5 seconds so I could unplug without a hassle. I was told if I just pressed the button I could experience the car locking the cable again before I had time to unplug it. Not sure if that is the official way to do it or if it's just what they tell the newbies without a clue though. :p

I've noticed this finickiness as well. My solution has been when I walk up to the car if the handles don't autopresent I make sure to touch the passenger door handle that's near the charge port to 'wake up' the car and make sure it's unlocked. Once you do that it should respond instantly to pressing the button on the charging handle.

OP here. I retract my earlier conjecture that this was fixed by the new software; in fact nothing has changed. It would be nice if the simple approach described by others - just hold down the button - worked in all cases, but that's not my experience. There are lots of permutations and combinations of factors: Is the car on or not (whatever "on" really means in a vehicle without an engine), button held down or just pressed, handles out or in; power flowing through the cable or not, battery reporting full charge or not; light ring solid green, slow flashing green, fast flashing green or dark when approaching it. Too many cases to explore fully, at least not in an unheated garage in January.

I often have occasion to put a leash on a family dog. Sometimes he holds his head still to accept it. Sometimes he squirms around, and it takes me several tries, even though he really wants to go out. Taking the Tesla off its leash feels a lot like putting the dog on his. Good dog. Good car. Just a little mischievous sometimes.

This problem is now gone for me. I think it was fixed in the Autopilot software update [Why aren't there comprehensive release notes?], but it's also possible I've gotten better at this with practice. As with much of life, perhaps it's all in the wrist.