Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I wrong in wishing FSD Beta had a lane change confirmation option like NOA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must admit that a couple days ago in freeway NOA I was almost ready to switch to Confirmation mode, but I was too busy madly cursing and cancelling a whole series of insane lane change attempts across solid white lines. That's never happened before.
I sent the FSD Beta team a detailed report instead :cool: .

I've only had FSD a few days but I am having a lane switching problem with my Model Y. Here's an example:

I am driving in the right lane of a 4-lane divided highway at the posted 60 mph limit. I wish to remain in the right lane and my route does not require me to turn for at least 10 miles. No other cars are around and I don't need to pass anyone. All of a sudden the left blinker goes on and the car initiates a lane change to the left lane. WTF? I flick the turn signal to the right which cancels the turn. And then a minute later the same thing happens again. It's like the car wants to get in the left lane even though there's no reason to do so. It also happens when more vehicles are around. In one instance, it commenced a lane change as a car was coming up on the left to pass me. That's when I used the steering wheel to pull the car back into the right lane, exiting from FSD.

Maybe you're wondering what happens if I just allow the car to change lanes. I tried that and as you would suspect, the car moved over to the left lane and just stayed there.

Does this sound like the same problem other folks are describing? I checked my settings and my car is set to "require lane change confirmation." This never happened before I got the FSD download a few days ago. Anything else that I'm missing before I report it to Tesla as a bug? Thanks.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I'm having an issue getting FSD beta to change lanes faster. It really waits until the last possible second to get into the right/left hand lane to do a turn. I'd be in the left lane with a right turn coming up in 0.2 miles and the car would literally try to attempt the turn from the wrong lane. I'm not sure what is going on but it honestly has me thinking that I'll get a ticket one of these days using it because of how frequently it happens.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I’ve submitted tickets to FSD team for similar. On my route I must take a right hand turn. Consistently the car will move out of the right lane, into the left lane 0.2miles from the intersection I need to take a right at. One Time I had a few extra minutes so I let it get into the left lane. The car then got to the light I needed to take a right at and turned on the right turn signal. I took over and went into a part of town I’ve never visited (since locals friends have told not me to go there). I didn’t die, so that’s good.

Anyway, FSD has always made this silly mistake. I usually deactivate around the intersection by consistently refusing the lane change (by turning the turn signal off). It will usually try 2-3 times.

Update:

Lane changes still happen in Chill mode. On two lane road (each direction) yesterday and I was in the left lane and going to turn left into a parking lot as were many others. FSDbeta tried automatically switching to the free right lane. I cancelled it.

Note that I'm not using NoA.
I have the same problem.. Following a car doing 10 over the limit (my sweet spot), and the car constantly switches to the open left lane, but can't pass... I don't get it. I switch of fsd and just use autopilot to stay in the right lane.. That and hugging the yellow line drives me crazy

I use these Navigate on Autopilot settings and FSD Beta requires a lane change confirmation as well as NoA:
Under: Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot
Speed Based Lane Changes: Mild
Exit Passing Lane: Yes
Require Lane Change Confirmation: Yes

I use these Navigate on Autopilot settings and FSD Beta requires a lane change confirmation as well as NoA:
Correction:
Speed Based Lane Changes: Disabled

Correction:

On streets, fsd beta will change lanes by itself. And as far as I can tell, the only thing we can change is how assertive or chill fsd is.

The settings you listed above are for freeway driving (or anytime you don’t see the new updated visualizations with yellow and red lines). You can test this by using fsd on streets and changing lanes into the wrong lane. When you get close to your turn, fsd will change lanes by itself.

Last edited:
I don't want my car to change lanes on me at all so I disable the Exit Passing Lane feature.

Exit Passing Lane: No

I blip the trottle. If I'm in the front of the line, then I floor it until I hit the speed limit.

I wish we could select the option to be more assertive when accelerating from a stop and less assertive with lane changes or be able to change those settings manually.