TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AM Radio Needs Filter...?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by bakoplan, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bakoplan

bakoplan New Member

I listen to several local AM radio sports talk stations here in LA, but with the new S it's almost impossible as the AM radio is picking up so much interference from the internal electric interface of the car. While it can be entertaining for a short bit to hear the frequency sound increase as the car picks up speed (like a surrogate engine), it gets tiresome very quickly, and all too often I cannot hear the sportscaster on the radio.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, any suggested fixes? My only thought is an AM radio filter, but understandably hesitant to take the car into a Best Buy and ask some installer to monkey with the electronics of the car...

2. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I haven't experienced this problem.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

You can probably listen to the same station streaming over the internet, if you find interference. Have you checked TuneIn/Slacker?

4. Enadler

Enadler Member

I do have the same problem. I have been listening to new radio on Tune In. The only downside is it seems to block local sports events.

5. Joe

Joe Member

Have had the same problem. I drive into NYC and once you are in the canyons, AM is out. Tunein/Slacker also don't quite work smoothly in the city. Talked to the SC and they acknowledged the problem, but not working on a solution.

6. William13

William13 Member

There is no solution. This could be minimized by having the antenna at the front bumper area. Far far away from the sources of EM energy.