Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM radio. On various two lane roads in Oregon, assign will read if lights flashing there’s a warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A full FM receiver can be integrated onto a radio chip with little effort. It's standard 'for free' on most of Broadcom's WiFi+Bluetooth chips.

An AM receiver requires a physically long antenna, and likely some simple but comparatively large external components. It might also require an extra audio mixer chip. The components are cheap, but the circuit board area and antenna connection isn't.

Reactions: GZDongles
That "Tune In" gadget is NOT a "radio"!

It cannot receive AM broadcasts (nor emergency messages),
and there is no way to scan for local stations.

Instead of receiving local advertising (which are sometimes useful when traveling),
"Tune In" replaces them with constant advertising for itself!
I hear you. You like AM radio.

For emergency things it's way outdated with Google and waze around.

For shows/talk there are SO many on tune in. You gotta be able to find what you want, albeit it being a bit different. And during commercials, which I do hate how it advertises itself so much, you can switch stations.

It seems so simple and I'm also frustrated they couldn't figure out a simple way to keep it.
I'm REALLY curious to hear from tesla as to how that wasn't possible or cost effective.

But I have survived my last 4 years of my MX ownership, adjusted quiet easily.

Reactions: GZDongles
A full FM receiver can be integrated onto a radio chip with little effort. It's standard 'for free' on most of Broadcom's WiFi+Bluetooth chips.

An AM receiver requires a physically long antenna, and likely some simple but comparatively large external components. It might also require an extra audio mixer chip. The components are cheap, but the circuit board area and antenna connection isn't.
that is not quite true. You can make a fox hole radio pretty darn cheap. Yes, for real. I did it as a kid. Enhance it with a diode replacing the pencil lead and razor blade plus a bit of say 40ga wire wrapped around a tp roll for a coil (for tuning). Connect earphones and you're all set. I'm thinking a semi-conductor equivalent could be had pretty cheap as well. And very small. You already have amplifiers so that's no issue.

Antenna? What's that? Haven't seen one in one of my cars since the 90s. Yeah, the windshield perhaps but a little thin wire could be run all sorts of places. Or not. Plenty of the old transistor radios didn't have external antennas.

that is not quite true. You can make a fox hole radio pretty darn cheap. Yes, for real. I did it as a kid. Enhance it with a diode replacing the pencil lead and razor blade plus a bit of say 40ga wire wrapped around a tp roll for a coil (for tuning). Connect earphones and you're all set. I'm thinking a semi-conductor equivalent could be had pretty cheap as well. And very small. You already have amplifiers so that's no issue.

Antenna? What's that? Haven't seen one in one of my cars since the 90s. Yeah, the windshield perhaps but a little thin wire could be run all sorts of places. Or not. Plenty of the old transistor radios didn't have external antennas.

So... how does that integrate onto an integrated circuit?
(Answer: not at all.)

An AM antenna is comparatively expensive because it needs to be longer than the other antennas and thus needs to be substantially different than the WiFi, Bluetooth and cell antenna.

It's not that would have been especially difficult or expensive to implement an AM receiver, or even AM C-QUAM, it's that very few people care and that small percentage is decreasing.

How does anything get integrated? By design of course. If your question is more of how would EM get an AM in to a Tesla while using off the shelf chips (because if not off the shelf, he could of course spec it) then why integrate it in to an IC? No one cares about integration. They care about the result. So let's see. Any available audio ports? Of course. If none others, use a USB interface. That'll work. Plug your AM receiver in to a USB port to inegrate into the audio.

So what's left? An antenna. Think they could find an inch or two for a small ferrite antenna?

You're probably right about decreasing desirability but that's not the same as suggesting it would be difficult to do.