Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM radio. On various two lane roads in Oregon, assign will read if lights flashing there’s a warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AM radio. On various two lane roads in Oregon, a sign will read “if lights flashing there’s a traffic issue ahead. Tune to AM 1650. I can’t figure out if my 2020 Model 3 has the capability to tune in to an AM radio station. Help!!

Not to mention that the interference in AM reception caused by electric vehicles makes it pretty useless.
Nonsense. On some electric vehicles (e.g. BMW i3), that's an issue.

The AM radios work fine on my '13 Leaf and '19 Bolt.

As I posted in another forum in Dec 2019:
-- begin quote --
FWIW, on Saturday night, I stumbled across 1070 AM on my Bolt while in San Jose. I listened more carefully and the highways mentioned weren't familiar to me. I listened more and heard temps for Burbank, LA and one more So Cal city. This is all while driving around. After listening more, I confirmed it was KNX 1070 AM: KNX 1070.

On Sunday night, I was able to tune to the same station on my Leaf's AM radio while also driving around. I did eventually confirm it was again KNX 1070 AM.

If the coordinates at KNX (AM) - Wikipedia are right, the transmitters are in Torrance, CA, about 345 miles away by car.

So... terrible or whatever and EVs and all, I was able to listen to an AM radio station over 300 miles away on both my EVs w/their factory stereos. Wikipedia claims it's a 50 kW station.
-- end quote --

Model S for first the few years also included AM radio.

In doing research to reply to another post, as I posted at No AM radio?, I found that the Niro EV, Kona Electric and i-Pace all have AM radios, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXLRplus
Thanks for the clarification. I believe I read somewhere (and this may be wrong also) that the Am radio that was included on the early versions of the model S was prone to interference, hence it was discontinued. Although I could be wrong, and it was an obnoxious choice by someone (Elon?) who thought it was antiquated, like the aux jack that was also removed. I seem to recall an interview with EM where when asked about the paucity of input choices on the cars, he said that everyone streams stuff from their phones nowadays, so no need for anything else.

one of my hangups holding me back...Not a primary issue, but in my daily driver I listen to AM about ...oh maybe 98.5% of the time that I drive..... It's probably a majority of folks don't use AM radio, but still some of us do....

I'm sure Google maps and waze will have emergency issues up ahead shown.
And in the rare case I'd they don't, you do have eyes...

For listening to things. There are like a million channels and podcasts etc available. You have GOTTA be able to find something.

As they say. The benefits FAR outweigh the risks.

No am radio.

There are some local stations available via internet seamlessly integrated. Takes awhile to find new good stations though. Not one you do, you make them "favorite" and then it's easy.

No am radio.

There are some local stations available via internet seamlessly integrated. Takes awhile to find new good stations though. Not one you do, you make them "favorite" and then it's easy.
1. Most of the stations I listen to are AM, not FM.

2. When I travel, I scan the AM stations for the syndicated shows that I listen to during the day, but I cannot do this with that "Tune In" device.

3. "Tune In" inserts constant advertising for itself, replacing the local ads (which are more useful).

Nonsense. On some electric vehicles (e.g. BMW i3), that's an issue.

The AM radios work fine on my '13 Leaf and '19 Bolt.

As I posted in another forum in Dec 2019:
-- begin quote --
FWIW, on Saturday night, I stumbled across 1070 AM on my Bolt while in San Jose. I listened more carefully and the highways mentioned weren't familiar to me. I listened more and heard temps for Burbank, LA and one more So Cal city. This is all while driving around. After listening more, I confirmed it was KNX 1070 AM: KNX 1070.

On Sunday night, I was able to tune to the same station on my Leaf's AM radio while also driving around. I did eventually confirm it was again KNX 1070 AM.

If the coordinates at KNX (AM) - Wikipedia are right, the transmitters are in Torrance, CA, about 345 miles away by car.

So... terrible or whatever and EVs and all, I was able to listen to an AM radio station over 300 miles away on both my EVs w/their factory stereos. Wikipedia claims it's a 50 kW station.
-- end quote --

Model S for first the few years also included AM radio.

In doing research to reply to another post, as I posted at No AM radio?, I found that the Niro EV, Kona Electric and i-Pace all have AM radios, as well.
That "Tune In" gadget is NOT a "radio"!

It cannot receive AM broadcasts (nor emergency messages),
and there is no way to scan for local stations.

Instead of receiving local advertising (which are sometimes useful when traveling),
"Tune In" replaces them with constant advertising for itself!