Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMA Tesla Advisor about Solar and Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work for Tesla as an Energy Advisor, and have been with the company since SolarCity for the last two years. I found this forum and seemed like there is some good information here, but also some questions about some things. I am pretty well informed about how things work and would be happy to see about some of the rules and regulations in your area and even look into your own home to see how it would work. Feel free to ask me anything.
Thanks so much for starting this thread and making yourself available for questions! As a TSLA shareholder, multiple Tesla owner, and Powerwall owner, I really appreciate it.

Here is my question: what is involved in replacing one of the first generation 6.4kWh Powerwalls with one or two 14kWh Powerwalls? My 5.4kWh Powerwall and SolarEdge US-7600 inverter with 9.8kW of panels (not Solar City panels) were installed in August 2016. I am happy with the performance of my system. My long term plan is to replace my Powerwall with at least one V2 Powerwall to provide greater emergency backup capacity. What is involved in doing that? Thank you.

A couple questions- if I install the solar panels before I install the battery: can the power wall be compatible with other solar panel companies?

Also is the 30% rebate applicable for batteries if they are installed later on?

How much room is their to negotiate on the price? The quote I got was ridiculously high (like $4/kW) and when I mentioned that the advisor said they will match a competitors price. How far down will they come?

Also how much (if anything) has changed with the switch to Tesla?

A couple questions- if I install the solar panels before I install the battery: can the power wall be compatible with other solar panel companies?

Also is the 30% rebate applicable for batteries if they are installed later on?

I can answer these as I'm exactly in this situation. The Powerwall 2 system is compatible with other solar systems. I have a system with a SolarEdge inverter and LG panels installed by another contractor and the Powerwall install was smooth. The powerwalls are now working perfectly. Since the Powerwall 2s are AC coupled, the integration is a lot easier than if they were DC coupled.

The ITC is also available for batteries installed separately from the solar system. Note that to qualify for the ITC, the batteries must be charged purely from the solar panels. They cannot be charged from the grid. Tesla's firmware is programmed to enforce this in the US.

I can answer these as I'm exactly in this situation. The Powerwall 2 system is compatible with other solar systems. I have a system with a SolarEdge inverter and LG panels installed by another contractor and the Powerwall install was smooth. The powerwalls are now working perfectly. Since the Powerwall 2s are AC coupled, the integration is a lot easier than if they were DC coupled.

The ITC is also available for batteries installed separately from the solar system. Note that to qualify for the ITC, the batteries must be charged purely from the solar panels. They cannot be charged from the grid. Tesla's firmware is programmed to enforce this in the US.

thanks for the help. if you don't mind me asking, does tesla negotiate with prices for power wall? I have heard about panels they are able to price match. also how long does it take for the power wall from once you buy? how many power walls would you get if you setup a 18kw panels? I want to offset most of my electric needs with power wall. thanks!

Do you have access to the installation manual? If so, what are the exact measurements for the wall bracket attachment bolts from the floor/ground when Powerwall 2s are stacked? Would you be able to post or send the installation manual so I can properly place the cement pad for an outdoor stacked Powerwall 2 install. Thanks!

Thanks so much for starting this thread and making yourself available for questions! As a TSLA shareholder, multiple Tesla owner, and Powerwall owner, I really appreciate it.

Here is my question: what is involved in replacing one of the first generation 6.4kWh Powerwalls with one or two 14kWh Powerwalls? My 5.4kWh Powerwall and SolarEdge US-7600 inverter with 9.8kW of panels (not Solar City panels) were installed in August 2016. I am happy with the performance of my system. My long term plan is to replace my Powerwall with at least one V2 Powerwall to provide greater emergency backup capacity. What is involved in doing that? Thank you.

We would likely be able to sell you two new Powerwall 2's. I am happy to help with this and you can message me whenever you would be ready at Solar411.

In regards to what you would do about your existing battery in this situation, there may be a a resale market and this would be a nice sized battery for someone very efficient to take advantage of. I would be happy to talk privately as I will not be able to keep up with this forum any longer, but buying a battery now could be very smart with changing tax credits. Feel free to reach out. If you want more of a support oriented response about what you would like to do with the existing Powerwall, I can work with you to find options, but our support team would be the best place for anyone on this site to reach out to our team for project specific questions: Energy Products Support | Tesla

Do you have access to the installation manual? If so, what are the exact measurements for the wall bracket attachment bolts from the floor/ground when Powerwall 2s are stacked? Would you be able to post or send the installation manual so I can properly place the cement pad for an outdoor stacked Powerwall 2 install. Thanks!
Please reach out to Energy Products Support | Tesla for project specific questions

Please feel to reach out to me to discuss timing and management of a project by private message Solar411

thanks for the help. if you don't mind me asking, does tesla negotiate with prices for power wall? I have heard about panels they are able to price match. also how long does it take for the power wall from once you buy? how many power walls would you get if you setup a 18kw panels? I want to offset most of my electric needs with power wall. thanks!

I do not believe there is any negotiating for Powerwall 2. 1 Powerwall would do the essentials with backing up every circuit at 30 amps or below. 2 Powerwalls would provide more storage and back up circuits below 60 amps. 3 Powerwalls would do 90 amps. 4 Powerwall's would be able to take care of anything up to 120 amps and would essentially be a whole home back up for you if you are covering 100% of your usage.

Feel free to reach out to me for any solution for you by private message Solar411

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Thanks for the assist! Please note, not all companies are guaranteed to be compatible either.

I am signing off. Great discussion here. Look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to reach out. Thanks for accepting me into your club and look forward to participating in future discussions on here. Some great information from all of you guys, and glad to help disseminate information to help you with best practices in getting answers or getting assistance. We are always learning and not all team members have the same information about things and I think this is important to understand. We all want to help you and are all skilled differently in what we do. We always appreciate your patience and will do everything we can to give you the patience with your project you deserve as well. Timing is important though, and we also want to do is right by you as well. Thanks for all the great questions!

Reactions: NuShrike
Mr Solar411 is one class act, I wished all TA from Tesla would learn a great deal from his comments and answers to questions, all customers just want some sincerity from a business stand point that’s all. Back in the old days a good handshake was just like signing a contract,now a signed contract can mean nothing! Bravo Mr Solar411 we still have true American business persons in the USA. THIS FORUM THANKS YOU!!!!

Mr. Solar411 I have a question my first Tesla/ SolarCity adviser sent me a quote on email after an on-site evaluation for two Powerwalls because I wanted a full whole house backup, my installation price was 2900 $ , my service panel 120 amp service is not even a year old as this was installed with my solar arrays this year ,no SGIP is offered because they have no more funds, I elected one Powerwall with partial backup instead yet the installation cost only went down to 2600$, I than ask for a parts list so I can see exactly what was involved in the installation process and a week later I received an email from some other (assistant) that now the new TA will be handling my local authorities permit , is this process of having more than one adviser handled your purchase typical? And is this installation price for one Powerwall correct? Thank you

Mr. Solar411 I have a question my first Tesla/ SolarCity adviser sent me a quote on email after an on-site evaluation for two Powerwalls because I wanted a full whole house backup, my installation price was 2900 $ , my service panel 120 amp service is not even a year old as this was installed with my solar arrays this year ,no SGIP is offered because they have no more funds, I elected one Powerwall with partial backup instead yet the installation cost only went down to 2600$, I than ask for a parts list so I can see exactly what was involved in the installation process and a week later I received an email from some other (assistant) that now the new TA will be handling my local authorities permit , is this process of having more than one adviser handled your purchase typical? And is this installation price for one Powerwall correct? Thank you

This is typical, and each Powerwall installation has to be assessed a little differently now based on different requirements. I would not want to interfere and would recommend working with your current advisor to go over any of these costs.

Mr Solar411 is one class act, I wished all TA from Tesla would learn a great deal from his comments and answers to questions, all customers just want some sincerity from a business stand point that’s all. Back in the old days a good handshake was just like signing a contract,now a signed contract can mean nothing! Bravo Mr Solar411 we still have true American business persons in the USA. THIS FORUM THANKS YOU!!!!

Thank you for the kind words. I feel giving a perspective of what we do in the field can provide some level of clarity to create real change in people to bring these products further into our lives.

I have a 20 SEER / 9 HSPF 2 stage heat pump that is slightly oversized (I often run 1st stage only for the vast majority of my use) would I even need a "soft start" device?

Please reach out to Energy Products Support | Tesla for project specific questions like this or feel free to inbox me if you would like to look into starting a project, and I will work to get these answers for you throughout our project together.

I have a 20 SEER / 9 HSPF 2 stage heat pump that is slightly oversized (I often run 1st stage only for the vast majority of my use) would I even need a "soft start" device?
What's your LRA (it's on your HVAC's label). Anything over 60A needs more than 2 PWs.

Meantime, if your heat-pump has an inverter motor (as most of the modern high-efficiency units now have), it should be fine without a soft-starter.

Solar411, can you shine any light on the Powerwall II production schedule? Recently a lot of people who have made deposits for Powerwalls have been informed that there will be a 3 to 6 month delay on top of the already fairly long ETA provided at the time the estimate was provided. This 3 to 6 month extra delay was added to my estimated project completion date and my contractor said that Tesla provided no explanation as to the reason. People on this forum have discussed the possibility of a Powerwall III at some point, and with such long delays presently for Powerwall IIs, I’m wondering if there is a design change in the works for a new Powerwall model. Any information that you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Solar411, can you shine any light on the Powerwall II production schedule? Recently a lot of people who have made deposits for Powerwalls have been informed that there will be a 3 to 6 month delay on top of the already fairly long ETA provided at the time the estimate was provided. This 3 to 6 month extra delay was added to my estimated project completion date and my contractor said that Tesla provided no explanation as to the reason. People on this forum have discussed the possibility of a Powerwall III at some point, and with such long delays presently for Powerwall IIs, I’m wondering if there is a design change in the works for a new Powerwall model. Any information that you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

This delay was announced back in February I believe. It had to do with a bigger focus on Model 3 productions and making adjustments accordingly with slight changes to the storage tax credit. Also our own learning about what different installations require made us have to adjust, so we focus on easier installs by adjusting install pricing per job. Also just a high volume of orders made it hard to meet all of these needs. From my understanding, we will actively be selling standalone Powerwalls in June. This makes me feel like the adjustments have been made and they will be more plentiful come the end of Q3 and into Q4. This is not set in stone, and I have no more knowledge than simply being an advisor and hearing things through the grapevine in my isolated region of Pennsylvania.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet