Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMA Tesla Advisor about Solar and Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Solar411 Thanks for your participation in this forum. I am in a little of a dilemma at moment as I have 2 quotes for solar and 1 powerwall, 1 from Tesla Energy/SolarCity and 1 from a local authorized installer. Tesla's quote is coming in a little cheaper than the local installer and the TE sales rep told me that Tesla will be getting the new stock of Powerwalls first before delivering them to authorized installer, is there any truth to that? Also, the local authorized is "promising" me a step 3 SGIP rebate where as Tesla is unable to do that. Where is Tesla truly at when it comes to powerwall and SGIP as I am hearing different stories from different Tesla reps. TIA.

What's your LRA (it's on your HVAC's label). Anything over 60A needs more than 2 PWs.

Meantime, if your heat-pump has an inverter motor (as most of the modern high-efficiency units now have), it should be fine without a soft-starter.

It's 61.5 LRA but I'd just leave the heat pump off the battery backup circuit. If the power is out I can do without heat and air for a bit.

I'd rather have my refrigerator on backup and a 120v socket in the garage for emergency car charging (just to be sure I can get to a public L2 or better, I normally charge off of a 14-50 at home but if the power went out before my charge timer kicks in any minimal charge speed would get me to the offsite charging).

So is the soft starter to protect the powerwall or the solar panels or inverter?

This delay was announced back in February I believe. It had to do with a bigger focus on Model 3 productions and making adjustments accordingly with slight changes to the storage tax credit. Also our own learning about what different installations require made us have to adjust, so we focus on easier installs by adjusting install pricing per job. Also just a high volume of orders made it hard to meet all of these needs. From my understanding, we will actively be selling standalone Powerwalls in June. This makes me feel like the adjustments have been made and they will be more plentiful come the end of Q3 and into Q4. This is not set in stone, and I have no more knowledge than simply being an advisor and hearing things through the grapevine in my isolated region of Pennsylvania.

Now THIS is interesting. Am I reading this as Tesla is going to allow people to order up PWs, have them delivered, and then have a third party of their choosing install them?

I'm asking because I had my setup pre-wired for a 4th powerwall, and it would literally be a plug and play scenario for me. Tesla, of course, would have to remotely change the software.

It's 61.5 LRA but I'd just leave the heat pump off the battery backup circuit. If the power is out I can do without heat and air for a bit.

I'd rather have my refrigerator on backup and a 120v socket in the garage for emergency car charging (just to be sure I can get to a public L2 or better, I normally charge off of a 14-50 at home but if the power went out before my charge timer kicks in any minimal charge speed would get me to the offsite charging).

So is the soft starter to protect the powerwall or the solar panels or inverter?
61.5A is iffy for 2 PWs if 7000W peak per PW2 * 2 / 240V puts 2x PW2 max at ~58.3A for spike coverage. Up to 60.8A if your heat-pump is running at 230V.

The soft-starter is to prevent a "brown-out" in your micro-grid due to the LRA spike.

I'm not sure the PW/panels/inverter needs protection from that as it'll be like a grid-outage event to them. Your inverter may switch off as proper response for a few minutes.

@Solar411 Thanks for your participation in this forum. I am in a little of a dilemma at moment as I have 2 quotes for solar and 1 powerwall, 1 from Tesla Energy/SolarCity and 1 from a local authorized installer. Tesla's quote is coming in a little cheaper than the local installer and the TE sales rep told me that Tesla will be getting the new stock of Powerwalls first before delivering them to authorized installer, is there any truth to that? Also, the local authorized is "promising" me a step 3 SGIP rebate where as Tesla is unable to do that. Where is Tesla truly at when it comes to powerwall and SGIP as I am hearing different stories from different Tesla reps. TIA.

Your local advisor sounds well informed, and I would continue to work with him.

Everyone it was nice chatting here. As I have mentioned previously, I will have to maintain my own responsibilities and allow our support, marketing, and communications to provide any support and handle questions. Energy Products Support | Tesla This will be the website to handle any support oriented questions.

Feel free to private message me here if you do need an advisor personally to begin the exploration process into solar and storage for your home.