Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be heading from Fort Worth to Denver in a LR RWD 3 in 2 weeks. Subscribing to this thread so I can review if there is anything I need to worry about. It seems tough for any other car than mine, but hopefully should be fine. Fort Worth to Childress and Amarillo to Trinidad seem like I will just have to watch my driving habits.
Charge up before leaving and crank the A/C while plugged in. If you keep your speed under control, you won't have a problem making Childress. The real test is Amarillo to Trinidad, which I haven't personally done. The RV parks on PlugShare will be your backup. Use abetterrouteplanner.com to plan your trip. On the way back, charging to 95% in Childress should get you home, but again, watch your speed. I choose to not use AP because I can do better than cruise control going faster downhill and slower uphill, but YMMV. Enjoy that trip!

Charge up before leaving and crank the A/C while plugged in. If you keep your speed under control, you won't have a problem making Childress. The real test is Amarillo to Trinidad, which I haven't personally done. The RV parks on PlugShare will be your backup. Use abetterrouteplanner.com to plan your trip. On the way back, charging to 95% in Childress should get you home, but again, watch your speed. I choose to not use AP because I can do better than cruise control going faster downhill and slower uphill, but YMMV. Enjoy that trip!

Just drove the Amarillo to Trinidad leg earlier this week in my P3- going from Oklahoma to Colorado (and back).

Charged to 98% at Amarillo. Drove speed limit plus a few mph with AC cranked (it was 100 degrees outside). Made it to Trinidad with 8%. Only surprises were wet roads from Raton Pass to Trinidad from mountain thunderstorms. Since that part is downhill, it was not an issue affecting range. The reverse direction is easy since it’s mostly downhill.

I am going to be heading from Fort Worth to Denver in a LR RWD 3 in 2 weeks. Subscribing to this thread so I can review if there is anything I need to worry about. It seems tough for any other car than mine, but hopefully should be fine. Fort Worth to Childress and Amarillo to Trinidad seem like I will just have to watch my driving habits.

Safe travels. If you need a little boost before climbing Raton Pass, it seems the KOA in Raton is a good place to get a little juice before climbing the mountain.

abetterrouteplanner indicates the Oklahoma route north and west into colorado is the 2nd option for this trip. I will proceed as is for the Amarillo route. I may stop overnight at Palo Duro to check it out and might do a small morning hike, but I have no plans to do anything crazy in Texas during the summer out there.

I will add that if you guys saw the articles about the missing Texas hiker lost in Arkansas for 6 days, that was my roommate. I have no plans for that to happen on my end. I don't have a gps messenger yet, but that will be my plan next time I do any major offgrid hiking.

Missing Texas hiker is found alive after almost a week - CNN

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
will add that if you guys saw the articles about the missing Texas hiker lost in Arkansas for 6 days, that was my roommate.
Yikes! I'm glad that had a happy ending. Is he doing well?

OT: In the 1980s, I attempted a similar hike in that same area. I made it half a day before throwing in the towel when I realized maps of the logging roads would not only be helpful, but essential. That was my last wilderness hike.

Did Amarillo to Trinidad a few weeks ago in an S90D, 21'' wheels. A little too close for comfort. Probably wouldn't recommend anyone attempt this without being prepared to slow down beneath the speed limit.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_140610.jpg
    IMG_20190629_140610.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 88
Did Amarillo to Trinidad a few weeks ago in an S90D, 21'' wheels. A little too close for comfort. Probably wouldn't recommend anyone attempt this without being prepared to slow down beneath the speed limit.

Which leg of your trip are you referring to? Amarillo to Raton? The image you posted shows you had concerns from Trinidad to Denver, not sure why as there are Superchargers in Colorado Springs!

There are only 2 sections where you have to be careful, Southlake, TX to Childress, TX and Amarillo, TX to Trinidad, CO. From your image, seeif you were stressed Trinidad to Denver, it was because you failed to stop at Colorado Springs!
00770A68-B01C-49E1-8B6E-31336DE6703D.png

Which leg of your trip are you referring to? Amarillo to Raton? The image you posted shows you had concerns from Trinidad to Denver, not sure why as there are Superchargers in Colorado Springs!

There are only 2 sections where you have to be careful, Southlake, TX to Childress, TX and Amarillo, TX to Trinidad, CO. From your image, seeif you were stressed Trinidad to Denver, it was because you failed to stop at Colorado Springs!
View attachment 436160
I think you might have misinterpreted the image or looked at the wrong things. It shows tayl arriving at the Trinidad supercharger from Amarillo with only 9 mi. (3% SoC) of range remaining, hence the understandable anxiety.

Reactions: rafacq
I think you might have misinterpreted the image or looked at the wrong things. It shows tayl arriving at the Trinidad supercharger from Amarillo with only 9 mi. (3% SoC) of range remaining, hence the understandable anxiety.

This is a screen capture of the photo he loaded to his post. Look at the map, did I misread it. Shows he is at Trinidad and the destination is Denver.
upload_2019-8-1_21-28-42.png

This is a screen capture of the photo he loaded to his post. Look at the map, did I misread it. Shows he is at Trinidad and the destination is Denver.
I didn't say you misread the map, I said you misinterpreted the image. Yes, it shows the final/next destination as Denver. But in a comment on the range anxiety of reaching Trinidad from Amarillo, the routing to subsequent locations is irrelevant info. IMO, that detail was unintentionally included because it was, by force, contained in the frame when capturing both the trip graph on the center screen and the driver's binnacle display in a single picture. Basically, you should have ignored it. The trip graph--showing the previous leg of their trip, i.e. Amarillo to Trinidad--shows their arrival at Trinidad was at 3%. Plus the very final bit to make it over Raton Pass even included a small drop below the original estimation, which probably provided a bit of extra concern at the time. In the other part of the original image, you can see in the binnacle that they only had 9 miles of range remaining once they got to plug in at Trinidad.

Their comment wasn't about any challenge to reach Denver from Trinidad. Thankfully, as there is and was none. Their car had 3% at the time and in the image the navigation was showing arrival to Denver, had they left at that instant, would have been at -73%. So, for their vehicle and driving conditions, it was calculating 76% as the needed charge to make it. Even with a healthy 15% margin, making it on a single charge would only have necessitated them to charge to just barely over 90% at Trinidad. Still eminently possible if a slower approach than doing the obvious and adding a charging session at Colorado Springs. Regardless, no reason for anxiety.

I didn't say you misread the map, I said you misinterpreted the image. Yes, it shows the final/next destination as Denver. But in a comment on the range anxiety of reaching Trinidad from Amarillo, the routing to subsequent locations is irrelevant info. IMO, that detail was unintentionally included because it was, by force, contained in the frame when capturing both the trip graph on the center screen and the driver's binnacle display in a single picture. Basically, you should have ignored it. The trip graph--showing the previous leg of their trip, i.e. Amarillo to Trinidad--shows their arrival at Trinidad was at 3%. Plus the very final bit to make it over Raton Pass even included a small drop below the original estimation, which probably provided a bit of extra concern at the time. In the other part of the original image, you can see in the binnacle that they only had 9 miles of range remaining once they got to plug in at Trinidad.

Their comment wasn't about any challenge to reach Denver from Trinidad. Thankfully, as there is and was none. Their car had 3% at the time and in the image the navigation was showing arrival to Denver, had they left at that instant, would have been at -73%. So, for their vehicle and driving conditions, it was calculating 76% as the needed charge to make it. Even with a healthy 15% margin, making it on a single charge would only have necessitated them to charge to just barely over 90% at Trinidad. Still eminently possible if a slower approach than doing the obvious and adding a charging session at Colorado Springs. Regardless, no reason for anxiety.

I read the comment and could not find any mention of Amarillo to Trinidad in the image! The comment talked one thing, the image, to me, showed another. Glad you are the able to figure it perfectly!

No major issues on my trip. I did 2120 miles from Fort Worth to Amarillo SC, to Palo Duro, to Amarillo SC to Trinidad then to Salida SC to hit Black Canyon of the Gunnison and back to Salida SC. Then Denver, Colorado Springs, then stopped at Capulin Volcano on the way back between Trinidad and Amarillo and back home. For my 2120 miles in my LR RWD Model 3 I averaged 251 wh/m and used 532 kwh.

On the way there I had 3 full charges leaving my house, Amarillo, and Salida. The Amarillo to Trinidad left me with 12% battey and I had to drive under the speed limit a little doing 72 in a 75 to not eat up my remaining % of arrival. I was a little worried heading to Gunnison NP since it was 245 miles round trip into the mountains, but ended up with plenty of charge remaining. The Fort Worth to Childress leg was was the toughest length and used 312 to 33 miles there and 303-34 miles back which was the longest legs of the trip. Colorado is also 3x as expensive to charge as Texas since they charge per kwh vs per minute in Texas.

Overall I definitely hope they get a couple more superchargers built quickly since it would be much tougher or not possible with smaller battery packs to make this trip. I jotted down plenty of data on the trip legs so I will just add that for anyone curious. My 3 maxes out at 312 miles of range.

Fort Worth to Childress (24% remaining battery % dropped to 12% during the drive)
312-33 miles at 278 wh/m 220.8 miles driven
Childress to Amarillo (47kwh charge)
230-57 miles at 318 wh/m 120.8 miles driven
Amarillo to Palo Duro and back (33kwh charge, and It was 107 degrees outside when I left. I realized its time for tint and car shades now.)
197-85 miles 287 wh/m 83.2 miles driven
Amarillo to Trinidad (53kwh to top off)
312-39 miles (12% remaning and used this as my governing percentage on determining speed) 266 wh/m at 225.6 miles
Total so far 803 miles 279 wh/m 224 kwh used
Trinidad to Salida (52kwh charge)
259-75 miles 266 wh/m 152.5 miles driven
Salida (Poncha Springs SC) to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and back (55 kwh to top off and 122 miles each way)
312-62 miles I did check if the Gunnison NP RV outlet was working and had no issues also
Did not keep track of data on that section, but somewhere around 250 milesdriven and could have got 300 on the charge.

After that the only charges that mattered were Trinidad to Amarillo 304- 59 miles of range (236.4 miles at 227 wh/m) with a quick stop at Capulin volcano (totally worth the stop if you have time and range) which used 11 miles of range from the highway and back. The Childress to Fort Worth route used 303-34 miles of range. On that I was conservative to keep 12% of range most of the way and went slightly above the speed limit the last 2 hours, but every time I take this route cops are searching a car near bridgeport on the way back from Colorado late at night 30 minutes away from home.

The total trip was 2120 miles using 532 kwh at 251 wh/m. My normal average in Texas was 291 wh/m, but dropped to 286 after this. That's mainly from a quick daily commute on the highway everyday.

I took pictures of the charging stops so I had an abundance of data, but the main point is that we need a couple superchargers on the drive from DFW to Colorado otherwise you have to take 35 north then west into Colorado. Gunnison NP would also be tough with limited range unless you have an rv spot booked.

Anyways, great trip overall.

Fort Worth to Childress (24% remaining battery % dropped to 12% during the drive)
312-33 miles at 278 wh/m 220.8 miles driven
Childress to Amarillo (47kwh charge)
230-57 miles at 318 wh/m 120.8 miles driven
Amarillo to Palo Duro and back (33kwh charge, and It was 107 degrees outside when I left. I realized its time for tint and car shades now.)
197-85 miles 287 wh/m 83.2 miles driven
Amarillo to Trinidad (53kwh to top off)
312-39 miles (12% remaning and used this as my governing percentage on determining speed) 266 wh/m at 225.6 miles
Total so far 803 miles 279 wh/m 224 kwh used
Trinidad to Salida (52kwh charge)
259-75 miles 266 wh/m 152.5 miles driven
Salida (Poncha Springs SC) to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and back (55 kwh to top off and 122 miles each way)
312-62 miles I did check if the Gunnison NP RV outlet was working and had no issues also
Did not keep track of data on that section, but somewhere around 250 milesdriven and could have got 300 on the charge.

After that the only charges that mattered were Trinidad to Amarillo 304- 59 miles of range (236.4 miles at 227 wh/m) with a quick stop at Capulin volcano (totally worth the stop if you have time and range) which used 11 miles of range from the highway and back. The Childress to Fort Worth route used 303-34 miles of range. On that I was conservative to keep 12% of range most of the way and went slightly above the speed limit the last 2 hours, but every time I take this route cops are searching a car near bridgeport on the way back from Colorado late at night 30 minutes away from home.

The total trip was 2120 miles using 532 kwh at 251 wh/m. My normal average in Texas was 291 wh/m, but dropped to 286 after this. That's mainly from a quick daily commute on the highway everyday.

I took pictures of the charging stops so I had an abundance of data, but the main point is that we need a couple superchargers on the drive from DFW to Colorado otherwise you have to take 35 north then west into Colorado. Gunnison NP would also be tough with limited range unless you have an rv spot booked.

Anyways, great trip overall.

Great trip. Yes, Henrietta is in progress and with some luck, it will open in 4 to 6 weeks! Clayton NM is another story, Tesla announced plans for over 2 years now, but I understand there is no evidence of it happening anytime soon.

I’m a bit confused on your numbers.
“Fort Worth to Childress (24% remaining battery % dropped to 12% during the drive)
312-33 miles at 278 wh/m 220.8 miles driven”.

Here’s what I think you meant, left FW at 24% SOC but arrived Childress with only 12%.
Not sure what 312-33 at 278 wh/m means.

Thanks for the post!

I’m a bit confused on your numbers.
“Fort Worth to Childress (24% remaining battery % dropped to 12% during the drive)
312-33 miles at 278 wh/m 220.8 miles driven”.

Here’s what I think you meant, left FW at 24% SOC but arrived Childress with only 12%.
Not sure what 312-33 at 278 wh/m means.
I don't think he means that--no way could he get from FW to Childress on 12% of the battery. I think he means he charged at home in FW to 312 miles (~100%), arrived Childress at 33 miles, and on the way his guess-o-meter said he would arrive Childress with 24% SOC, which dropped along the way to 12% at the final destination. I think the %/miles conversions check out, interpreted that way.

@rideincircles wrote:
"The Fort Worth to Childress leg was was the toughest length and used 312 to 33 miles there and 303-34 miles back which was the longest legs of the trip."
I'm surprised that Fort Worth-Childress was more challenging than Amarillo-Trinidad.

Correct on the last post. I fully charged to 312 miles on 3 legs of the trip heading that way, and was more confident on the way home to not worry about fully charging it. Main issue with with Fort Worth to Childress is just Texas highway speeds starts eating up SOC. I watched my SOC on Amarillo to Trinidad more and did far less of a reduction to eat up my SOC. Otherwise I just was more efficient on the Trinidad route. Also, if you ever get the chance to stop by, check out the view at Capulin Volcano. It is now $20 to stop by, but worth the view IMO.

Correct on the last post. I fully charged to 312 miles on 3 legs of the trip heading that way, and was more confident on the way home to not worry about fully charging it. Main issue with with Fort Worth to Childress is just Texas highway speeds starts eating up SOC. I watched my SOC on Amarillo to Trinidad more and did far less of a reduction to eat up my SOC. Otherwise I just was more efficient on the Trinidad route. Also, if you ever get the chance to stop by, check out the view at Capulin Volcano. It is now $20 to stop by, but worth the view IMO.
Thanks for the volcano tip, although the NPS website says it is closed due to damage to the road -- I assume recently.

It would be a hard sell for me to go 11 miles out of my way on that leg in my MS75D.:eek:

I did the trip to Colorado Springs back in June from Frisco. While I don't have the exact numbers I knew right away that I had to slow down as the initial estimates for the arrival SOC kept dropping. With staying 5 mph under the speed limit I was actually fine and arrived in Childress with 10% SOC left. Similar with the leg from Amarillo to Trinidad although getting closer to Raton I started matching the speed limit as I could see that I would arrive with enough charge left.

The problem would be really in rain or snow and strong head winds. I don't see how my Model 3 LR RWD could have made that.

Reactions: rafacq