Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the volcano tip, although the NPS website says it is closed due to damage to the road -- I assume recently.

It would be a hard sell for me to go 11 miles out of my way on that leg in my MS75D.:eek:

One other thing to note was I tried using autopilot up the volcano and it did okay up until the part where the road zig-zags near the top like a sine wave. Autopilot could not handle that. It is roads like this that highlight where autopilot still needs improvement.I will say that autopilot seems much better at slowing down going into turns than it did on my road trip to Big Bend ranch in February. I had a lot of issues going too fast into turns on that trip and autopilot was much better 6 months later, but I still found an area for it to improve on the road up to capulin volcano. Definitely keep your hands on the wheel for this one.

• Informative
Reactions: reddy
One other thing to note was I tried using autopilot up the volcano and it did okay up until the part where the road zig-zags near the top like a sine wave. Autopilot could not handle that. It is roads like this that highlight where autopilot still needs improvement.I will say that autopilot seems much better at slowing down going into turns than it did on my road trip to Big Bend ranch in February. I had a lot of issues going too fast into turns on that trip and autopilot was much better 6 months later, but I still found an area for it to improve on the road up to capulin volcano. Definitely keep your hands on the wheel for this one.

I'm impressed that you even ATTEMPTED to use autopilot there at the top. I don't have AP on my 2013 Model S, but in my brief tryouts in my wife's Model 3, I would have feared going over the side of the volcano.

I'm impressed that you even ATTEMPTED to use autopilot there at the top. I don't have AP on my 2013 Model S, but in my brief tryouts in my wife's Model 3, I would have feared going over the side of the volcano.

I definitely noticed lots of improvement on autopilot compared to my roadtrip in February. On that trip I would see autopilot occasionally drive onto the median line when doing wide right turns on 2 lane highways which made me take over anytime it did that. That behavior is no longer an issue after driving 2120 miles on this trip. After driving lots of mountain roads I figured I would say how well it could handle the volcano and found its limitation. I still see plenty of middle of the expanded lane tracking issues with autopilot, but otherwise it has improved considerably in 6 months.

This behavior is why I think the FSD hardware upgrade will be totally worth it. With a 21x faster processor it should have far more advanced resolution for processing data along with way more advanced algorithms that the current hardware can't match. Autopilot is pretty impressive in general, but it could be night vs day with the new hardware. I bit the bullet at the $2k upgrade and finally paid it off this month. I can't wait to see how much it improves over the next year. If it can handle capulin volcano up to the top I will know it has improved.

• Informative
I was wondering... Tesla installed 12 chargers in Henrietta. I would have been fine if they only had installed 6 and put the other 6 in Clayton NM!

Any comments?
I agree, but I'm guessing the incremental costs of additional charging stations at a particular site is miniscule compared to negotiating the site, planning the layout, getting power to the site, and installing the first charging station. Heck, I would have settled for three chargers in each location. :D

Reactions: rafacq
I agree, but I'm guessing the incremental costs of additional charging stations at a particular site is miniscule compared to negotiating the site, planning the layout, getting power to the site, and installing the first charging station. Heck, I would have settled for three chargers in each location. :D[/

I was thinking the same. Totally agree on only 3 in Henrietta and 3 in Clayton!

Would a Model 3 LR RWD make it from Amarillo to Trinidad without much hassle?

Driving 241 miles on a full charge with 300+mile rated range should be technically doable under most conditions. Winter might be tough. Anyone has done this?

I check the excavation permits at least once a week for Union County, and nothing as of yesterday. I also have been checking for Lubbock and Clovis, and nothing there as well.

Yes, having Clayton will fill in a big hole in the Texas to Colorado route. For now, stopping for a brief top up at the Dalhart public RV site is my best option.

Reactions: Dr. J and rafacq
Would a Model 3 LR RWD make it from Amarillo to Trinidad without much hassle?

Driving 241 miles on a full charge with 300+mile rated range should be technically doable under most conditions. Winter might be tough. Anyone has done this?
Yes, I did it two weeks ago in favorable weather. Left Amarillo with 99%, arrived Trinidad with 15% charge. If you make it to Raton, you're probably home free. But I would check the weather carefully.

Made this trip yesterday in a P90 (converted P85) .. left amarillo with 275rated miles and got to trinidad with 16 miles left... there were 10 to 20MPH headwind so i drafted a truck going 60mph most of the trip.. next time ill plan an overnight trip in dumas at a destination charger or hopefully the clayton SC will be open by then

I'm looking to do a trip from Dallas to Crested Butte in a few weeks and came across this thread. Thoughts on doing Amarillo to Trinidad in a 2020 Model S long range? ABRP says I can but wanted to see if anyone else has made the trip in a similar car.

We just left Amarillo to Trinidad in our Model 3. We did not obey the 65 mph Tesla warned us about.

This caused us to charge in Raton, so we could make it up the grade to the super charger in Trinidad.

There is now a paid charging stand that uses the Tesla adapter sae j1772. This is located at the oasis hotel and restaurant in Raton.

I will be heading this way again over the weekend, but my plan is just capulin volcano for the new moon after Palo duro on Saturday. I will be staying in the capulin rv park to fully charge overnight and then may head to santa fe afterwards. Still figuring that out, but at least theTesla supercharger map says Clayton gets a supercharger in 2020. Otherwise this route does require abiding by the speed limit or less to make it to Trinidad without stopping.

• Funny
Reactions: rafacq
I will be heading this way again over the weekend, but my plan is just capulin volcano for the new moon after Palo duro on Saturday. I will be staying in the capulin rv park to fully charge overnight and then may head to santa fe afterwards. Still figuring that out, but at least theTesla supercharger map says Clayton gets a supercharger in 2020. Otherwise this route does require abiding by the speed limit or less to make it to Trinidad without stopping.

Clayton SC has been coming soon, I believe, for the last 4 years!

We just left Amarillo to Trinidad in our Model 3. We did not obey the 65 mph Tesla warned us about.

This caused us to charge in Raton, so we could make it up the grade to the super charger in Trinidad.

There is now a paid charging stand that uses the Tesla adapter sae j1772. This is located at the oasis hotel and restaurant in Raton.
What was your state of charge leaving Amarillo, and what was the direction and speed of the wind?

Thanks for the heads up on the Oasis hotel charger.

i would have thought with Model 3 LR, one could go directly to Trinidad without stopping for charge.

On a slow L2 how long did you end up charging? Considering that extra time do you think you would have been better off slowing down and driving directly to Trinidad without stopping at Raton?

i would have thought with Model 3 LR, one could go directly to Trinidad without stopping for charge.
I would have thought so, too, and I actually did it in September 2019, but now abetterrouteplanner says it can't be done! Although he has changed the UI so it could be I just don't understand how to use it anymore. We ended up in Trinidad with more battery than we left Raton, although there is an uphill stretch at the start. I think if you've got ~10% in Raton, you're probably safe to make it, by as always YMMV.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electroman
I would have thought so, too, and I actually did it in September 2019, but now abetterrouteplanner says it can't be done! Although he has changed the UI so it could be I just don't understand how to use it anymore. We ended up in Trinidad with more battery than we left Raton, although there is an uphill stretch at the start. I think if you've got ~10% in Raton, you're probably safe to make it, by as always YMMV.
So how much range or % did you have when you reached Raton?