Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how much range or % did you have when you reached Raton?
Just under 10%, as I recall.
now abetterrouteplanner says it can't be done!
I wasn't using ABRP correctly--I had the wrong model selected. It can be done. The issue is weather: cold, wind and rain. If it cooperates, and you don't have a lead foot, you're fine. You have to leave Amarillo at or close to 100%.

I am driving from Austin to Breckenridge in a S75. I am planning to go the long way .. up I35 through Wichita Falls - Amarillo - Tucumcari-Las Vegas etc.. From Trinadad,and then either through Poncha Springs or Colorado Springs. Any advice on how much I should charge up to. Most of these are 125ish apart. Poncha Springs would be 152 miles (and much more scenic).

I am driving from Austin to Breckenridge in a S75. I am planning to go the long way .. up I35 through Wichita Falls - Amarillo - Tucumcari-Las Vegas etc.. From Trinadad,and then either through Poncha Springs or Colorado Springs. Any advice on how much I should charge up to. Most of these are 125ish apart. Poncha Springs would be 152 miles (and much more scenic).
This will tell you what you need to know:
A Better Routeplanner

Been a fan of evtripplanner.com

Sample drive with charging times:
EV Trip Planner Austin to Breckinridge

456CE2E8-6C18-4B35-8E1B-178EBB0350D3.jpeg

Can't wait until that Clayton, NM supercharger goes up. Looks like it's finally happening based on that thread in the Mountain / Southwest channel.

>>> relevant posts quoted below >>>​

I checked the New Mexico permit database and TA-DA!!!

It is permit PRT_2020015945, approved on June 2nd. The location is 315 South 1st Street, which is the Clayton Ranch Market right on US-87.

My son just drove through Clayton, Sunday 8/2 morning, and checked the Ranch Market. He made the block around the market as well as went inside and asked the on duty manager, no indication of construction yet and no knowledge by the store employees at this time.

Hoping it gets online ASAP. Do the drive from Houston to Colorado a few times a year and having the SC @ Clayton will be a godsend for the return journey.

Heading up to CO I do the following hops and it's nice to know there's a way to top-off northbound if one is worried about not being able to make it over the Raton Pass.

Houston → Corsicana SC → Henrietta SC → Amarillo SC → Trinidad SC → CO Destinaion​

For me, the real value is in the return. Previously I'd have to charge up to 100% at the Trinidad SC from ~60% (read: slow!) in order to make the jump to Amarillo. Clayton coming online means I can make the jump from my starting point in CO to Clayton with a sub 20% arrival charge. Then it's just a matter of charging up enough to get to Amarillo or waiting longer to get the juice to make it to Childress.

[old] CO Origin → Trinidad SC → Amarillo SC → Childress SC → Dumas SC → Huntsville SC → Houston
[new] CO Origin → Clayton SC → Childress SC → Dumas SC → Huntsville SC → Houston​

When Henrietta started construction, I went in to ask for details, they had no idea what was going on!

I'll be driving through the area Labor Day Weekend. Hopefully by then we will see movement. I'll report in...

I have friends in Clayton, and they have agreed to send me photos if they spot any construction. Nothing so far .

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.50.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.51.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.48.40 PM.png

I'll be making the drive from Trinidad to Amarillo next week in my Model 3. I'll let everyone if I see anything happening in Clayton.

Here was my experience... left Trinidad Supercharging station at 9:45PM with 280 miles. Car was in Chill mode. Temps were 50-60's for the duration of my trip... no wind. I kept it ~65 mph the entire drive and arrived at the Amarillo Supercharging station with 7 miles left. I glanced over at the future SC in Clayton but there was nothing to see... just the lone construction barrel next to the sidewalk. Sorry I didn't get any pics...

Reactions: rafacq
Here was my experience... left Trinidad Supercharging station at 9:45PM with 280 miles. Car was in Chill mode. Temps were 50-60's for the duration of my trip... no wind. I kept it ~65 mph the entire drive and arrived at the Amarillo Supercharging station with 7 miles left. I glanced over at the future SC in Clayton but there was nothing to see... just the lone construction barrel next to the sidewalk. Sorry I didn't get any pics...

Which model Tesla ?

FWIW, still no permits filed in Clayton, and none of my spotters have seen activity.

What model? I'm about to try this in a performance 3 in about a week and I'd rather not run out of juice!

Driving to Houston in November (Thanksgiving). I’ve looked at ABRP and Plugshare. For the last 20 years I’ve 9 times out of 10 taken the Denver -> Salina, KS -> Houston trip as I find the interstate is easier. But the idea of saving an hour of driving going through Amarillo is appealing.

So Plugshare walks me through:
8C64805E-B176-4CC3-902A-BAADF6DEF035.jpeg

but ABRP says Trinidad -> Amarillo would be dangerous:
6F184884-C0E7-40DE-B50F-E0B5F1835675.jpeg

For those who have done this (based on the posts above - there are a few) - what do you suggest?
Model 3 LR. At 100% - I do get the full 320miles.