Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazed at all the 'disappointment ' threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably $5k luxury package + AP + FSD

Yet the statement was that Elon didn't "show" a $35K car, all the ones "shown were $59,000".

Since elon didn't go over the luxury package, AP, or FSD in any detail I'd say you can just as easily say the cars "shown" were $44,000, $45,000, and $46,500 depending on color and wheel size.

And for those complaining the $35,000 variant isn't out today. The Press kit says it is out in a few months

Standard Battery
  • Deliveries begin: Fall 2017
Long Range Battery
  • Deliveries begin: July 2017

Wow. Admire your retro-ness. Try a smart phone. You don't have to lug it, they are quite small.
I really just have no use for one. I guess it's my lifestyle or something. It would be just another burden for me, and another expense.
If there's a phone that's the size of my fob and fits into the watch pocket of my jeans and requires only a yearly battery change, please let me know. Seriously. I havn't cancelled yet - no rush on that. I'm really hoping there's some other options.
BTW, just a few weeks ago I had to get a replacement for my metal credit card. Worn out and no longer worked. In light of that, the card option doesn't wow me.

Last edited:
Reactions: N5329K
I admit to feeling a bit let down by the official event's stream. Started out good, then, well, it ended. So I watched a number of the live streams on YouTube from the folks that were there, and realized that I was being rather selfish about the whole thing. Look at all the cheering folks taking rides, talking with their old friends and new acquaintances, and relaxing with some good food. This event wasn't done for my benefit. It was a milestone event for the folks who bought the first 30 cars, and for the folks who made that possible (the Tesla employees in Fremont and Sparks). This was their event, to which we were privileged to be able to attend.

All the details that would have been part of a traditionally external-focused event were provided to the various press sites beforehand, and released as the event concluded. It's all there. Specs, options, prices, first-drive reports. The Internet is your buffet table; go grazing and enjoy. Meanwhile, let's let the incredible team at Tesla have an evening to celebrate what they have accomplished, and to recharge their spiritual batteries for the "hell" that remains ahead of them as the production ramps.

Entry Level Model S

2013 .................................................... Today

Price*...........................................$69,500 ................................................ $69,500

EPA Range ..................................218 miles ..............................................249 miles
0-60 mph* ...................................5.5 seconds ..........................................4.3 seconds
Smart Air Suspension ............... option ($thousands) ............................ Included

Power Liftgate .............................option package items ......................... Included
Ambient Interior Lighting ........... part of a total package**
Nav w/real time traffic ............... cost ~$4.5K
HomeLink

Center Console ............................option ~$1K ........................................ Included

Active Safety Tech

-Collision Avoidance ........................all............................................................all
-Auto. Emergency Braking ..........unavailable........................................... Included
-other a.s.t.

Side Mirrors
-Power folding .................................all ..........................................................all
-auto dimming ........................... unavailable ........................................... Included
-heated

LED turning lights ..................... available (?) ......................................... Included

LED Fog Lights ......................... option.................................................... Included

Here's my point, limits to my TMC chart-making skills notwithstanding,

I was hoping for more range on the base model myself, but, I don't see Tesla's strategy as trying to game the public by offering as little as possible for as much as possible. Consider all the value added to the entry Model S over the past 4 years was without ANY competing long range EVs reaching the market in the Model S' class to date. That is, Tesla enhanced value by adding many many features, battery size, and improving performance for the same price, not because the market place required them to, but because with the passage of time, Tesla was able to add more capability to the Model S for less cost.

Similarly, in time, with the GF and Fremont reaching volume production (which means markedly lower costs for Tesla to produce the Model 3), it is all but certain that Tesla will offer more value because they will be able to. Producing an affordable EV that is compelling to as much of the market as possible is an ongoing process, and the tax incentives are there to help accelerate the process (yes, I realize not everyone qualifies for them, they are not perfect).

As I said, I was hoping myself for something like 240 miles of range for $35K, so I "feel that pain" some myself. If these specs are a deal breaker for anyone, that's their own call. Maybe you buy another car, or maybe you wait to see what kind of value Tesla will offer you in a couple of years. That said, I strongly sense that this is simply about the path to producing compelling mass market EVs being challenging, rather than Tesla trying to offer as little as possible for as much as possible.

* a few of these numbers on the 2013 Model S 60 are based off memory and may be slightly off.

** I'm not sure if all the parts of the original total package are now all included in the base vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
Press Kit | Tesla

$44,000 for the Model 3 Extended range
$1,000 more if it wasn't black
$1,500 more if it had 19" wheels

Where the heck are you getting $59,000 from?

$5,000 Premium Upgrades Package
$5,000 Enhanced Autopilot
$3,000 Full Self-Driving Capability

Total = $59,500

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
$5,000 Premium Upgrades Package
$5,000 Enhanced Autopilot
$3,000 Full Self-Driving Capability

Total = $59,500

The Autopilot and FSD packages were not used or demonstrated in any of the Model 3 test drives, including those given to the press.

In addition, the range did not factor into the test drives in the slightest. If you found a 300 mile Model 3 test drive, please enlighten us. The acceleration factored in, but only slightly.

That means that of all the cars demonstrated, your average joe-schmoe watching the stream at home could spend $40k and experience the exact same thing (sans slightly less acceleration).

You might as well say all of the cars cost $836,000 because the guy driving the car has a net worth of $796,000.

The Autopilot and FSD packages were not used or demonstrated in any of the Model 3 test drives, including those given to the press.

In addition, the range did not factor into the test drives in the slightest. If you found a 300 mile Model 3 test drive, please enlighten us. The acceleration factored in, but only slightly.

That means that of all the cars demonstrated, your average joe-schmoe watching the stream at home could spend $40k and experience the exact same thing (sans slightly less acceleration).

You might as well say all of the cars cost $836,000 because the guy driving the car has a net worth of $796,000.
What?

My whole purpose was to add up all of the options. I don't know where all of the other conversation is coming from.

Reactions: hckyplyr
It's funny how much the extended range option has ruined the base for me. I felt the base was fine (and likely still is) until I saw what the big battery option could get for me distance wise. Essentially Tesla has created range anxiety for me that wasn't there until yesterday. I realize this is all somewhat silly, but the 9K for the extended option doesn't feel silly to my checkbook.

The event sucked, but the car, the product, the offering, is awesome.

Model 3, in every configuration, is just great value, well above the competition. Go to www.bmw.de, www.mercedes-benz.com or www.audi.de and configure a similar optioned car in terms of features and power train. Then calculate the cost for gas and compare. Model 3 is king. What a breakthrough for automobiles! There was a world of automobiles before today, and a world after now.

I am excited Model 3 is on schedule and even more models with AWD will come soon.

For other EVs, there is no real ompetition in sight. Model 3 is a premium car. There is no other EV Premium mass market car right now. Bolt is an ugly plastic car GM doesn't want to sell anyway. It is also not a premium car. Same goes for Leaf and Zoe. There is no other AWD mass makred EV in sight at all. Also, there is no EV with autonomy on the horizon. Things are looking good for Tesla. They are years ahead. Advantage is growing, not melting.

Their only problem might be slowing down Model S sales. Model S is too big for a lot of markets. European roads and parking garages are a better fit for Model 3 than S. With the premium and range package, Model 3 seems the better car to me for Europeans, beside the lower price.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mhan00
The event sucked, but the car, the product, the offering, is awesome.

Model 3, in every configuration, is just great value, well above the competition. Go to www.bmw.de, www.mercedes-benz.com or www.audi.de and configure a similar optioned car in terms of features and power train. Then calculate the cost for gas and compare. Model 3 is king. What a breakthrough for automobiles! There was a world of automobiles before today, and a world after now.

I am excited Model 3 is on schedule and even more models with AWD will come soon.

For other EVs, there is no real ompetition in sight. Model 3 is a premium car. There is no other EV Premium mass market car right now. Bolt is an ugly plastic car GM doesn't want to sell anyway. It is also not a premium car. Same goes for Leaf and Zoe. There is no other AWD mass makred EV in sight at all. Also, there is no EV with autonomy on the horizon. Things are looking good for Tesla. They are years ahead. Advantage is growing, not melting.

Their only problem might be slowing down Model S sales. Model S is too big for a lot of markets. European roads and paking garages are a better fit for Model 3 than S. With the premium and range package, Model 3 seems the better car to me for Europeans, beside the lower price.
Since yesterday..... I am having a difficult time placing the Model 3 in an "affordable" class of car.

Those car brands you listed aren't in what I call an "affordable" class of cars. People keep changing the Model 3 classification based on the conversation on the table "at the moment".

The Bolt is an affordable car and fully optioned remains affordable. Do I want one? No. I don't mind exiting the affordable class into an AUDI , BMW or Mercedes.

The Model 3's price starts off affordable, however the options that make it a Tesla puts the car out of the "affordable" class.

If you check sales charts of developed countries, BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Mercedes Benz C-class are obviously affordable for the big masses, these are models in the top 20 for a lot of countries.
America is a very well developed country and those cars are not considered affordable here. I'm not going to move to another country to buy an affordable car by that countries standards.

I'm thinking maybe both. Otherwise - how is summon and remote HVAC going to work?
yeah - there's two different things going on. the Bluetooth is the signal the car is looking for to know you are coming back to it and for it to wake up or to relax and take a nap when you are out of range.
The app to pre-condition it before you get to the car is using cell signals to communicate with it. not sure about summons...

yeah - there's two different things going on. the Bluetooth is the signal the car is looking for to know you are coming back to it and for it to wake up or to relax and take a nap when you are out of range.
The app to pre-condition it before you get to the car is using cell signals to communicate with it. not sure about summons...
Another thing..

I have Bose Bluetooth headphones that are normally paired with my phone. I hope my phone isn't paired with those headphones when I expect my phone to lock my car....unless my phone can double Bluetooth with multiple things at once. Or maybe.......

Arggghhh... This is too much thinking.

Reactions: melindav