TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Amazed by model 3 LR supercharging speeds

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Muhammad, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

Anyone else getting a whopping 480+ miles an hour charge? What’s more impressive is that the charge rate doesn’t seem to taper until very late, after 90%. I charged from 12 rated miles until 295 in just 45 minutes!

I also had the 100D S for a couple weeks as a loaner but I don’t recall it ever reaching such a high charge rate. The fastest I got was 350 miles per hour. Does the 3LR really charge that much faster than the S?

Overall more and more pleased with purchasing the LR. The range has really come in handy at times (I drive a lot)

In other news I drove 260 miles from Milpitas ca to Tejon ranch in a single charge. That’s with 152s eleveation and cruising down 5 at more than 80 mph (not too much traffic). I did inflate the tires to 45 psi for this though (and arrived with only 12 miles left)

• Like x 4
  2. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

Totally beat the 170 miles in 30 minutes &@$#

3. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Yep, just got 490mi/hr yesterday at the Yermo station....was amazing!!

4. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

Your initial charge state when you plug into supercharge has to be around 10% to experience the fastest charging rates.

5. vigge50

vigge50 Member

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  6. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

I posted something similar earlier, and I agree 100%. Just got back from another road trip and I am still amazed at how fast the M3 charges. I easily make up the charge times with driving faster than the speed limit, so that now when I google map something and it says 5 or 6 hours, I know that is all it will take including SuperCharging.

• Like x 3
  7. JulienW

JulienW Member

Is this math correct?

310 miles with 75kWh is 4.133 miles per kWh or 242Wh per mile

So 480/4.133 or 480x242=116kW charge rate

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

I haven't tried in a while, but I think the option in the S to view charge rates in KW (along with voltage and current) is no longer there... I assume it's not in the 3 as well?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

This Google Photos Album has a series of snapshots from my phone I took during a charging session from 121 to 248 miles, which works out to starting out at 39 SoC and ending at 81% (based on 306 miles at 100% SoC). The reported miles/hour is an average through the session while the kW reading is at the moment.

I'm really happy with the charging in my LR too, although I won't turn my nose up at even faster rates from Supercharger 3.0.

• Like x 1
  10. scaesare

Ah, the power is displayed in the phone app... very good.

11. SageBrush

I have seen 114 kW at 40% SoC, although I do not know if that rate would happen in a session that started at a lower SoC.

121 mile Charge Rate.png

12. SageBrush

This is REALLY good data. It works out to ~ 34 kWh at ~ 105 kW while Supercharging hopping at optimized SoC. I get about 4.5 miles/kWh at the speeds I travel, so up to 150 miles between stations while maintaining an average 1.4C charge rate.

I've estimated before that the SR Model 3 will manage about 1.0 - 1.2C average charging on trips. This is really one of the unsung advantages of the LR.

13. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Yup, charge rate (in kW) is pretty much the same for the 3 as S/X.
    But the speed at which the Model 3 adds range (in MPH) is dependent on how efficient it is at taking those electrons and moving the car down the road. It is a more efficient car, so it adds charge faster when you look at the charge data in MPH.
    The S is more efficient than the X, and will see higher charge speeds (in MPH). But the 3 crushes both of them.

• Like x 1
  14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In my S, it shows both now -- instantaneous kW and longer duration mph.

15. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

Why would the SR charge at a lower C rate? It’s battery is less dense so presumably it would have even better cooling capacity given the same size heat exchangers.

16. SageBrush

I was unclear -- average C rate. Owners will periodically have to incur charge tapering to reach the next Supercharger.

17. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

Do you happen to remember how long it took to charge from 121 to 248 Miles? Based on your reported mph I would suspect 15-20 minutes, does that seem close to accurate?

18. SageBrush

Yep

• Like x 1
  19. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

And I don't think we have seen yet the full capabilities of Model 3 charging with the next Supercharger version about to come online.

I bet the next Supercharger version will also come online with self plugging so you don;t even need to get out of the car.

20. scaesare

I've seen this battery density comment repeated before. What do you base it on?

If the answer is pack weight as compared to a S pack, are you accounting for all the other stuff in the mezzanine portion of the 3 pack that's not in an S pack?