Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazed by model 3 LR supercharging speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting a whopping 480+ miles an hour charge? What’s more impressive is that the charge rate doesn’t seem to taper until very late, after 90%. I charged from 12 rated miles until 295 in just 45 minutes!

I also had the 100D S for a couple weeks as a loaner but I don’t recall it ever reaching such a high charge rate. The fastest I got was 350 miles per hour. Does the 3LR really charge that much faster than the S?

Overall more and more pleased with purchasing the LR. The range has really come in handy at times (I drive a lot)

In other news I drove 260 miles from Milpitas ca to Tejon ranch in a single charge. That’s with 152s eleveation and cruising down 5 at more than 80 mph (not too much traffic). I did inflate the tires to 45 psi for this though (and arrived with only 12 miles left)

This Google Photos Album has a series of snapshots from my phone I took during a charging session from 121 to 248 miles, which works out to starting out at 39 SoC and ending at 81% (based on 306 miles at 100% SoC). The reported miles/hour is an average through the session while the kW reading is at the moment.

I'm really happy with the charging in my LR too, although I won't turn my nose up at even faster rates from Supercharger 3.0.

Reactions: scaesare
This Google Photos Album has a series of snapshots from my phone I took during a charging session from 121 to 248 miles, which works out to starting out at 39 SoC and ending at 81% (based on 306 miles at 100% SoC). The reported miles/hour is an average through the session while the kW reading is at the moment.

I'm really happy with the charging in my LR too, although I won't turn my nose up at even faster rates from Supercharger 3.0.
Ah, the power is displayed in the phone app... very good.

Your initial charge state when you plug into supercharge has to be around 10% to experience the fastest charging rates.
I have seen 114 kW at 40% SoC, although I do not know if that rate would happen in a session that started at a lower SoC.

121 mile Charge Rate.png

@blincoln have gather some data from user of his website abetterrouteplanner.com and a Model 3 charge close to 120 kW up to about 120 kW.
This is REALLY good data. It works out to ~ 34 kWh at ~ 105 kW while Supercharging hopping at optimized SoC. I get about 4.5 miles/kWh at the speeds I travel, so up to 150 miles between stations while maintaining an average 1.4C charge rate.

I've estimated before that the SR Model 3 will manage about 1.0 - 1.2C average charging on trips. This is really one of the unsung advantages of the LR.

Yup, charge rate (in kW) is pretty much the same for the 3 as S/X.
But the speed at which the Model 3 adds range (in MPH) is dependent on how efficient it is at taking those electrons and moving the car down the road. It is a more efficient car, so it adds charge faster when you look at the charge data in MPH.
The S is more efficient than the X, and will see higher charge speeds (in MPH). But the 3 crushes both of them.

Reactions: Lobstahz
This is REALLY good data. It works out to ~ 34 kWh at ~ 105 kW while Supercharging hopping at optimized SoC. I get about 4.5 miles/kWh at the speeds I travel, so up to 150 miles between stations while maintaining an average 1.4C charge rate.

I've estimated before that the SR Model 3 will manage about 1.0 - 1.2C average charging on trips. This is really one of the unsung advantages of the LR.
Why would the SR charge at a lower C rate? It’s battery is less dense so presumably it would have even better cooling capacity given the same size heat exchangers.

Do you happen to remember how long it took to charge from 121 to 248 Miles? Based on your reported mph I would suspect 15-20 minutes, does that seem close to accurate?

And I don't think we have seen yet the full capabilities of Model 3 charging with the next Supercharger version about to come online.

I bet the next Supercharger version will also come online with self plugging so you don;t even need to get out of the car.

Why would the SR charge at a lower C rate? It’s battery is less dense so presumably it would have even better cooling capacity given the same size heat exchangers.

I've seen this battery density comment repeated before. What do you base it on?

If the answer is pack weight as compared to a S pack, are you accounting for all the other stuff in the mezzanine portion of the 3 pack that's not in an S pack?