Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

amazing balancing after 145k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Balancing happens at all SOCs, but the calibration of BMS happens at 90-100% SOC.

I think you have that backwards:
Cell balancing.png

Or I guess you might be right that the balancing may be occuring all over the SOC, but my graph only shows the charge power lowered because a cell hit the voltage ceiling.

In any case, BMS calibration has to happen at low SOC as well, I would think that BMS is always calibrating the capacity by comparing the voltage to predefined values, then resetting or re-weighting the coloumb counting from there.

(Coloumb counting is a way to actually measure and add up how much watt or amps goes in and out of the battery, just measuring the voltage will not help when the battery is in use, as the voltage is very 'elastic' on different loads)

Another note about the cell difference, if you watch the app closely, any time you load the battery, either with driving the car or just idling with the HVAC on, you will notice that the different bars are updating quite slowly. And also, the battery KW numbers are very noisiy/full of vibrations, so the 'cell diff' readings are pretty much useless unless the car is completely asleep. But I guess you will get useful readings just stationary with the HVAC turned off.

- Amund7, developer of Scan My Tesla
PS. Saw someone posted Sharkcookie.ev's TM Spy video, he just made one for my app as well:

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Interesting, this Scan My Tesla has all the data to show real-time efficiency - Wheel power / Battery power.
I didn't see this amongst all the gauges, is it there?

It doesn't, but that could be a very interesting calculation. Question is, what do you want to see? Battery power (including HVAC, lights, the lot), or just the drive unit efficiency?
We also have drive unit 'dissipation' showing kw going in, but that reading is very low res/jagged/inaccurate. I'll see what can be done with these.