Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazing example of Tesla's ability to characterize obstacles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like it would need to know the difference between a pedestrian next to a STOP sign, and a road worker holding a STOP sign to do the correct thing on auto drive.

There are three things pictured: the STOP sign, the person, and an orange traffic cone. I suspect the traffic cone means road work, and would not be present if the system correctly identified the pedestrian and STOP sign combination.

There are three things pictured: the STOP sign, the person, and an orange traffic cone. I suspect the traffic cone means road work, and would not be present if the system correctly identified the pedestrian and STOP sign combination.

I suspect the mans yellow/reflective jumpsuit is what is causing the cone to depict. Otherwise it would have to be a very tiny cone, to be below his shin level.

The images are continually improving which is great but I wish it could see further. Vehicles coming from behind are not detected until they are within 10 feet. It would be good to see this distance increased.
I agree! Just recently on the freeway I have had a vehicle in my left hand blind spot for quite awhile! The rear sensor did not see it until it was right beside me. By that time I could actually see the car beside me. The sensor needs to have a longer range to display on the screen before it gets to the blind spot.
Another idea would be to have the rear looking camera pop on on the correct side when a vehicle approaches slowly. The camera is already available when in reverse. Seems like there would be a way to activate to prevent an accident.

Reactions: rxlawdude