Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazing transformation of my leather interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a new to me 2015 Model S. Car was a CPO with 31k miles from Florida, but the leather was looking a bit haggard. Steering wheel was extremely shiny, the seats were shiny also and had sunscreen stains on them. Unfortunately I don't have any good before shots, but here are a few from the CPO pic provided by tesla

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 4.47.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 4.48.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 4.58.43 PM.png

After applying leatherique rejuvenator and letting it bake with the heater on hi for about 3 hrs while the car was parked in the garage, I removed it by spraying pristine clean on the leather and working it with a microfiber pad intended for wax and sealant application, rinsing and wringing it out in a bucket of warm, clean water and finally buffing them out with a clean microfiber towel.

The results are stunning! It may not be as dramatic of a change in the pics, but in real life there is a significant difference. The leather now looks and feels supple and matte like it's new again. The steering wheel probably experienced the most significant transformation, but the seats are not far behind. Wish I had better before shots, but I was not expecting this big of a change based on my experience with leatherique in my 911 turbo and various bmw interiors. Perhaps it's just because this one is black, but I felt like I had to share this with the rest of you; it only takes a bit of elbow grease to bring your interior back to life.
IMG_3237.jpeg
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3239.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3241.jpeg

I did the same last weekend on my CPO 85D except I let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. The results are astounding. A lot of the creases and wrinkles on the seats disappeared, or the appearance was softened. The leather was left with a supple matte finish that looked like it rolled off the showroom.

I did the same last weekend on my CPO 85D except I let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. The results are astounding. A lot of the creases and wrinkles on the seats disappeared, or the appearance was softened. The leather was left with a supple matte finish that looked like it rolled off the showroom.
Congrats on the new ride. Glad to hear I’m not the only one with the same experience.
Wow that looks great. My tan seats have seen better days and I think I’m going to give this a try.
Give this a shot :)
Nice!

Besides the seats and steering wheel, where else is there actual leather (dash, door panels, other)? I'd hate to use leather conditioner on leather-look vinyl.
I have the premium upgrades package, so not sure if it’s different, but the upper section of the door panels and the center cards are definitely leather, arm rests in the center console too. I applied it to the whole door panel and center console though and it worked well; leatherique can be used on vinyl too, btw.
Magic Eraser. Gently. You won't believe your eyes.
Magic eraser is actually very abrasive. It may look like it works, but you’re damaging your seats.

I have the premium upgrades package, so not sure if it’s different, but the upper section of the door panels and the center cards are definitely leather, arm rests in the center console too. I applied it to the whole door panel and center console though and it worked well; leatherique can be used on vinyl too, btw.

Good info for my PUP MS. On the flat surfaces, it's hard to tell what is and isn't leather. Thanks!

Leatherique sounds like a good product...even better than used cooking oil. o_O

Reactions: PDFS
Agree with this. People don't realize that leather seats are not just leather -- they have a protective urethane coating. Remove the coating and remove the protection.
If you are able to do it gently, it will not strip away the coating. Rubbing very hard with a microfiber cloth will strip away the coating too. Also try Lexol leather cleaner and apply with medium pressure in a microfiber cloth. Does wonders

I think the fake leather became available only on face lifted cars, but the easiest way has got to be by checking your car’s options. go to ev-cpo.com and click on ‘option code lookup’ in the nav bar and put your VIN in.

Our cars are the same age.
Bought Lexol kit two years ago, following advise from TMC owners.
Did a first pass then and was very happy with the result. Like having new seats. :eek:
Today once more, did the front seats and the steering wheel.
It’s indeed work, and not always easy to take time for this, but the result is great.
Will do the back seats... soon.
Plan to keep the car as long as I can, and it’s just great that the leather holds up so well.
Not to mention the car altogether :)