Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

amazingly good and bad service experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two Teslas - both Model S. If you have seen any of my posts over the years, these cars are like tanks and saved my three kids lives, so yeah, love them.

Couple weeks ago, our first one (a 2015) died in my garage - Tesla support was great at getting a tow truck out to fish the car out of my garage and get it serviced. Turns out it was an HV battery failure, AC compressor failure and the battery cooler/heater failure. Ouch! Battery was covered under the 8 year warranty but the other items were not. Oh well.

Sourcing parts took a week or so, but honestly, we had the other car so it wasn't a big deal. Love the text message updates. Once the job was done, picked up the car, they even detailed it - nice touch.

I had an errand to run in London ON, so I took this car and I noticed a noise coming from the rear. Pressure was a bit low, so I stopped to top it up but the noise remained. Wheel bearings failing maybe? I don’t know, I thought it I would figure it out once home.

As I was leaving London I was about to pull on the 401 when the noise was just getting progressively worse. Pulled over and found that my rear wheel nuts were COMPLETELY LOOSE!! Are you freaking kidding me? I could turn all the nuts with my fingers. I can't imagine a wheel flying off on the 401......and of course the car doesn't come with a wrench. I'm about to lose my sh*t at the situation, and rightly so, but also lucky as I imagine most wouldn't think to check the nuts.

Just as I am trying to figure out what to do (call CAA??), Brad, the Tesla Mobile Service tech for London area happens to be driving by at that exact moment and pulled over to ask what was up. I explained the situation, and he torqued the wheels and I was back on my way home. He stops anytime someone is pulled over to offer help - what a great guy.

I tried to contact the KW service shop, but they have no direct number. Eventually got through via Dempsey (sp?) @ Mississauga and got an apology saying this never happens, etc. They wanted to make this right with a gesture of goodwill- but then never followed up. I followed up a day later, they had a suggestion but then never followed up. Called Mississauga again and their team, Dempsey (sp?) was super helpful in trying to chase the KW shop, but after a week there continues to be no follow up.

At this point, whatever, I am not going to chase them. Anything that is not in writing is worthless and so I will just chalk this up to a team that has no idea what they are doing.

Moral of the story - check your wheel nuts regularly and don't trust people's word until it is in writing.

Situations like this are the reason why my winter tires are on dedicated rims and I do the seasonal change over myself and carefully torque wrench the lugs to spec. Drive a short while and check again. a few lugs always need a retorque. This I know no garage will ever do or at least he ones I know.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I think the service centres continue to be overwhelmed. My observation over the last five years of ownership is that the quality and attention to detail has reduced a fair bit since the volume of cars on the road has gone up.
It’s logical for this to be the case until more service centres are online and I think we need to be diligent during and after service. Trust but verify. ;)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Those wheel nuts being loose like that, I had that happen at a Ford dealership with my 2012 Mustang. Think it was just straight up tire swap, and it scared the hell outta me when I got a few hundred feet down the road and I was hearing a weird clunk from my front end. Same story: pulled over into a parking lot, had a look and every nut was basically on by one or two threads at best. Hand tightened them as best I could, and went right back. It was the end of the day, but the desk guys called a tech out with a wrench to check (not that he needed it). Filed a complaint, but never got jack in compensation for it.