Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as fit goes your going to want one that fits the refresh. I have been looking for a while now and cant find one that looks like the one Tesla offers for P editions. One dead give a way is any car in these photos that has a chrome defuser at the bottom of the bumper is an original (prerefresh) version, and wont fit your car.
They all seem to say 2012-2016. Has anybody ordered a 2016-2017 refresh specific one?

So... I'm pretty ticked here... My spoiler is leaking a white goo that dries to the car, looks like crap, is rough, and if I try to remove it; 1. damages the paint of the car and 2. comes back next time I wash it or it rains.

Is anyone else having this issue?! I'm going to have to remove it at this point, as I see no other way to stop this run off of glue type stuff. I plan to contact the seller today and see what can be done.

I'm guessing it came from using that "adhesion prompter" that crap needs to be REMOVED from the packaging!

I got this info from another site... this guy called 3M and got this data:

1) Use the adhesive promoter when attaching double sided tape to a plastic surface (i.e. under the spoiler). The plastic will leech plasticizers over time, which will break down the bond and the chemicals in the tape, and could weaken the grip.

2) Adhesive promoter IS NOT needed anywhere that the tape attaches to a metal surface. There is enough contact area and no chemicals to break down the bond if you prepare the surface by removing all contaminants (dish soap, alcohol).

3) Ideal installation temperature is 60-70 degrees. They do not see a need to use a hair dryer or do it out in the hot sun.

4) There is no "cure" time for the double sided tape. They said as soon as you apply pressure, the bond is pretty much set right away. No problems with putting pressure on it for a few minutes to assure it grabs, but no 12-24 cure time like some people were talking.

5) Adhesive promoter has the potential to damage a painted surface if removal was ever needed. If it is needed, they recommend general adhesive remover that they sell, along with fishing line to get under the tape.

I ordered my JC Sportline from Ebay, (Fits 12-17 Tesla Model S OE Factory Style Trunk Spoiler Full Matte Carbon Fiber | eBay)

Looks just like the factory one I had on the loaner P85D for a few days. Super easy to put on, I had someone lend a hand as its easy with two people to set down straight. Do it in the daylight so you can match the crease in the trunk. Peel the short edge tape off on both sides, then fold back the covering on the long tape so you can pull it off after the edges are stuck in place.

A tip I learned from 3M rep about VHB tape is it sticks best when you use a rolling motion to press it down. So in this case after its stuck down, use a microfiber towel and slide your hands over the spoiler pushing the length of it. Then pull back towards you in the opposite direction. Just pressing straight down on it will not allow the air bubbles to escape the tape.