TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Amazon cabin air filter

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ReversePolarity, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ReversePolarity

Decided to do a quick maintenance item for the car... I've ran exactly 30,000 miles on the original cabin air filter (yes, a little bad) and found one available on Amazon Prime for $20. 2 days and 5 minutes (installation time lol) later, I've got a new filter installed.

Below is the comparison old vs new. Size/fitment seems to be spot on, except I don't understand the yellow. Another somewhat unknown point is, that it'd be nice to know exactly how much particulates the OEM vs Aftermarket filter can actually filter. but.. maybe I'm just thinking too much :)

PS... OEM filter was made in Poland, new filter was made in China, but I'm sure a lot of Tesla's sourcing decisions have to do with politics, import duties, parts content when it comes to country of origin, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 2
  2. EV Revolution

EV Revolution Member

... and how much the Tesla Service Center will have you charged for it?

Note: The SC might anyway change the filter during your next visit, without asking,
    and might ask you to pay for the full price plus installation labor!

• Like x 1
  3. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

2 day install?

4. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

Amazon Prime shipping = 2 days (usually)
    Installation = 5 minutes
    Total "installation time" = 2 days and 5 minutes

• Love x 1
  5. Olle

Olle Member

I paid $8 (eight dollars) at the Tesla service center for this filter

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

As did I

• Like x 2
  7. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Do you have the part number for this part or did you just ask for it and they sold it to you? I was thinking of replacing it myself to hold me off until the next servicing in August. I have put a lot of miles on my car since I first got it.

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

My Poland-sourced OEM filter is the expected grayish-whitish color.

Been driving through a lot of bee colonies, were we?

• Funny x 1
  9. Olle

Olle Member

All I told them was I want a cabin air filter for my Model S.

10. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Is this the PUP or non-PUP filter? Is there any difference ? I want to know if there is a "higher quality" drop in filter. Just curious.

11. ReversePolarity

Thats... a surprisingly good deal considering that other tesla parts cost just as much as a few kidneys.... Not to mention, autozone, honda parts even cost more than that... Kudos for that information!

Buena park is easily an hour roundtrip + time inside the store, so $20 seems like a viable option!

12. ReversePolarity

I don't think there is a way to tell what kind of filtration this is, except the appearance that its a "charcoal" type filter instead of a paper sort of filter. And I doubt theres a "higher quality" filter out there unless a MFR decides to make one, and can actually PROVE that it filters better.

I can tell you though, based on me replacing HVAC filters on my house recently, that a filter that can prevent smaller particles from passing through, is going to have lower rate of flow. I bought the highest quality air filter for my hvac and now the air doesn't come out of the vents as quickly as I want to.

But if someone really wants to test whether these $8 filter (tesla) or $20 (amazon filter) works well or not, someone can borrow a PM2.5 tester (same as the one tesla used for their BioWeaponDefense) and do back to back testing. This is probably the most viable way although who would want to do that? lol. Other alternative, i guess, is to contact accredited testing labs (again, who the heck would want to do that, haha).

13. EV Revolution

EV Revolution Member

How much would cost the (3" x 1") HEPA Filter?

What about the second small curved filter? Is it also a Tesla filter, or a filter from an other car and used for comparison?

[​IMG]

14. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Chinese filters will kill us all!;)

15. bradhs

bradhs Member

I'm waiting for someone to mod a filter by adding in some charcoal filtration. Anyone know a way to do this reasonably?