Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon cabin air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to do a quick maintenance item for the car... I've ran exactly 30,000 miles on the original cabin air filter (yes, a little bad) and found one available on Amazon Prime for $20. 2 days and 5 minutes (installation time lol) later, I've got a new filter installed.

Below is the comparison old vs new. Size/fitment seems to be spot on, except I don't understand the yellow. Another somewhat unknown point is, that it'd be nice to know exactly how much particulates the OEM vs Aftermarket filter can actually filter. but.. maybe I'm just thinking too much :)

PS... OEM filter was made in Poland, new filter was made in China, but I'm sure a lot of Tesla's sourcing decisions have to do with politics, import duties, parts content when it comes to country of origin, etc.

LwMWbdn.jpg

IUGM1DU.jpg

eQewdN5.jpg

Decided to do a quick maintenance item for the car...
I've ran exactly 30,000 miles on the original cabin air filter (yes, a little bad)
and found one available on Amazon Prime for $20.
2 days and 5 minutes (installation time lol) later, I've got a new filter installed.

... and how much the Tesla Service Center will have you charged for it?

Note: The SC might anyway change the filter during your next visit, without asking,
and might ask you to pay for the full price plus installation labor!

Reactions: vrykolas
Is this the PUP or non-PUP filter? Is there any difference ? I want to know if there is a "higher quality" drop in filter. Just curious.

I don't think there is a way to tell what kind of filtration this is, except the appearance that its a "charcoal" type filter instead of a paper sort of filter. And I doubt theres a "higher quality" filter out there unless a MFR decides to make one, and can actually PROVE that it filters better.

I can tell you though, based on me replacing HVAC filters on my house recently, that a filter that can prevent smaller particles from passing through, is going to have lower rate of flow. I bought the highest quality air filter for my hvac and now the air doesn't come out of the vents as quickly as I want to.

But if someone really wants to test whether these $8 filter (tesla) or $20 (amazon filter) works well or not, someone can borrow a PM2.5 tester (same as the one tesla used for their BioWeaponDefense) and do back to back testing. This is probably the most viable way although who would want to do that? lol. Other alternative, i guess, is to contact accredited testing labs (again, who the heck would want to do that, haha).

Below is the comparison old vs new. Size/fitment seems to be spot on, except I don't understand the yellow. Another somewhat unknown point is, that it'd be nice to know exactly how much particulates the OEM vs Aftermarket filter can actually filter. but.. maybe I'm just thinking too much :)

I believe the yellow is PM2.5 filtration material

Do you have an link or an brand name of part nr? I can only find the 'yellow' model 3 air filters...

Attachments

• pm2.5.png
    pm2.5.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 148