Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon delivery van backed into my parked car, advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting this for advice. I have plenty of photos and video footage of what happened. Amazon delivery van (tall/long sprinter type) backed into my parked car at work, damaging the passenger side of the front bumper, two sensors, and the front passenger side fog light.

I took the car to get quoted independently and the estimate is 3x the cost of the Amazon quote. When I looked at them both in detail, I realized Amazon put less than $10 of replacement parts needed. Meanwhile the independent shop has over $600 worth of parts including replacement sensors and lamps.

Amazon is now saying I have to start the repairs using their estimate and then Amazon will negotiate a price directly with the shop and pay them? Anyone have experience with a situation like this? The last thing I want to do is start a repair and have my car held in the shop because of negotiation. Knowing how long Teslas already take to repair, this is something I want to avoid. Also, Amazon has not offered rental car assistance or anything.

2018 LR AWD 3 with EAP

Last edited:
Tell Amazon to go screw, file a claim with your insurance, make them do the leg work. If their insured (you) is not at fault (you werent) there is no way in hell they are going to accept and pay out the loss. They have plenty of people who handle just this and nothing more. They will get the money from Amazon.

I guess I dont see what all the issue is here? Most at fault parties would like you to do what they want, welp... sucks to be them.

Wow what a nightmare. Yeah, I assume there is a police report somewhere? I would call your insurance agent and explain the situation but I suspect he/she will tell you to take it to a shop you know and trust, give them your insurance information. They'll go after Amazon on your behalf. Definitely don't settle for anything less than quality repair + I would also demand compensation for diminished value of the vehicle due to the accident/repairs.

Reactions: ladysbff
Ugh this is my worst nightmare. There are delivery trucks backing up in front of my car all day while at home because my assigned space is adjacent to a natural turn around area. Assume you are already working with your insurance carrier on this and would go with a Tesla-approved shop. Good luck, you have my sympathies!

Ugh this is my worst nightmare. There are delivery trucks backing up in front of my car all day while at home because my assigned space is adjacent to a natural turn around area. Assume you are already working with your insurance carrier on this and would go with a Tesla-approved shop. Good luck, you have my sympathies!
Yes, the independent shop was Tesla approved body shop. I told Amazon in advance about this, and insisted on an in-person adjustor for this reason (which they eventually sent, after escalating my case twice). It seems like they are just trying as hard as possible not to fix the car correctly?

I would probably handle it the way @yeahthatguy says (go to my own insurance and have them deal with amazon). A lot of people say " go directly to the other insurance company", and that works for them, but your insurance company works for YOU, while amazons works for THEM.

I wouldnt be going to the media, because the only thing that would attempt to do would be to escalate the issue, and shame the driver and or Amazon further. Especially since the driverr "knows where you work" you dont want an issue where they feel like they need to single you out for something.

In this case, it would be best to just go get your car fixed through your own insurance, and turn over all information to your insurance company for them to deal with it, and not go on any sort of crusade to bring extra attention to it.

Reactions: jroydog
Wow what a nightmare. Yeah, I assume there is a police report somewhere? I would call your insurance agent and explain the situation but I suspect he/she will tell you to take it to a shop you know and trust, give them your insurance information. They'll go after Amazon on your behalf. Definitely don't settle for anything less than quality repair + I would also demand compensation for diminished value of the vehicle due to the accident/repairs.
No police report but plenty of photos of the officer and the driver. The officer refused to take a police report because it was private property, also refused to ask the Amazon driver to apologize or calm down etc.

also refused to ask the Amazon driver to apologize or calm down etc.

well they're not babysitters. others are under no obligation to be nice to you or to act in a non-belligerent manner. Is this your first insurance claim? File a claim, upload all of your evidence, take the car to a bodyshop and wait. while waiting enjoy the schadenfreude that your insurance company will get their money come hell or high water. Its called subrogation.

I would probably handle it the way @yeahthatguy says (go to my own insurance and have them deal with amazon). A lot of people say " go directly to the other insurance company", and that works for them, but your insurance company works for YOU, while amazons works for THEM.

I wouldnt be going to the media, because the only thing that would attempt to do would be to escalate the issue, and shame the driver and or Amazon further. Especially since the driverr "knows where you work" you dont want an issue where they feel like they need to single you out for something.

In this case, it would be best to just go get your car fixed through your own insurance, and turn over all information to your insurance company for them to deal with it, and not go on any sort of crusade to bring extra attention to it.
So this is part of why I ask for advice, I haven't had to do an insurance claim in a long long time, and recently switched insurance companies. My new insurance company told me to do it all through Amazon. Any tips on taking this to my insurance?

Also, my car wasn't just out in the parking lot... I have an enclosed charging spot which is in a loading dock. So he really had to put in the effort to hit my car, which is part of what makes this such a slap in the face.

Last edited:
What state makes a difference in law and therefore approach. But, CA answer, as someone said, run it through your carrier, the most out of pocket would be your deductible and they'll get it back for you. Your be treated like Amazon is self insured and the adjuster is accustomed to pushing people around.

Chill, let your people do what you pay them for.

As most everyone else has said, turn it over to your insurance company. Let them earn their premiums. Amazon may think they can intimidate a private individual and may try even if they are not successful. That means hassles for you. They can’t intimidate the insurance company, though, and even if they try it‘s no headache for you. Definitely offload the grief to your insurance carrier.

Reactions: ladysbff and h2oAok
No police report but plenty of photos of the officer and the driver. The officer refused to take a police report because it was private property, also refused to ask the Amazon driver to apologize or calm down etc.
While the police officer may not feel like doing the paper work, why don’t you?

They aren’t the only ones who can file a report you know. That way there is an official record of the incident.

don't waste your time talking to an Amazon rep. Just deal with your carrier and let them recoup their costs from the at-fault party -- that's why you pay them the big bucks. Take it to your body shop of preference. If Amazon wants to send an adjuster out, so be it. Your carrier might do the same. But body shops are used to that hassle. Check with your local PD to see if you can file an online report just to get it on record.

Reactions: ladysbff and h2oAok
“My new insurance company told me to do it all through Amazon.”

Whaaatt? They told you to deal with Amazon? Then what the hell are you paying them for? I’ve always been told to deal with your insurance only. Your insurance is supposed to do all the leg work and then go after the other side. First thing I would do after you get your car fix is dump your insurance carrier!

What caused the Amazon driver to get belligerent? If they backed up into a parked car they have nobody to blame but themself. Did you get into an altercation with the driver after the accident? The guy sounds like he could be a bit dangerous.
He got the Amazon van stuck, wedged between my car and another. He thought I could back up my car so he could get unstuck. However, my car was in an enclosure and though he couldn't see it, there was no space to reverse. He didn't believe me. Eventually he confirmed what I said to be true and he wasn't happy about it.

Amazon told you that you have to use their system and their repair estimate?

Tell amazon to go **** themselves. They're just trying to bully you into taking a lower amount. Not sure why you're letting them try to walk over you.

Why would you go to the media about it? Do you want a bunch of attention? Just remember that ANY attention can turn to unwanted attention, and then it's too late to change your mind. Am always surprised at how deep people want to go trying to prove a point that will literally not help them at all, with the situation they're trying to resolve. Most of the time it ends up doing the opposite.

Amazon told you that you have to use their system and their repair estimate?

Tell amazon to go **** themselves. They're just trying to bully you into taking a lower amount. Not sure why you're letting them try to walk over you.

Why would you go to the media about it? Do you want a bunch of attention? Just remember that ANY attention can turn to unwanted attention, and then it's too late to change your mind. Am always surprised at how deep people want to go trying to prove a point that will literally not help them at all, with the situation they're trying to resolve. Most of the time it ends up doing the opposite.
People who I gave full details of the incident about suggested going to the media. There is more info I'm not giving here that makes it... worse.

These details are unrelated to my insurance questions, though. But that's why I included the aside. Just wanted to hear other people's takes.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt