Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon delivery van backed into my parked car, advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The media tends not to care about personal beefs unless it contains something sensational. Boring accidents tend to be ignored. IMHO Best to take the high road unless it becomes your last resort.
There is a sensational/political aspect to this which I think is why I got the couple of suggestions to go to the media. Anyway, it's mostly moot, again I was just curious what others thought.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
People who I gave full details of the incident about suggested going to the media. There is more info I'm not giving here that makes it... worse.

These details are unrelated to my insurance questions, though. But that's why I included the aside. Just wanted to hear other people's takes.

My take: **** amazon, they're trying to screw you. also, you never want to make something more complex than it is. Who cares if they showed back up later, who cares if they were pointing at your building or whatever. When people try to make a bigger deal out of something than it is, that's when it escalates and becomes a bigger deal.

Reactions: ladysbff
Just FYI, Amazon doesn't own the delivery network or those sprinter vans (although they definitely control it). They farm last mile delivery out to independent operators who operate in specific territories (I looked at one that was for sale recently but quickly decided against buying it). So basically, Amazon doesn't care and the liability will fall on the independent operator.

Amazon has also seen just about every imaginable scenario, so unless the driver did something so far out of the norm (racist, etc) then going to the media is a terrible idea. That's assuming you don't want a bunch of attention. If you do, go for it.

Ultimately, your insurance needs to take responsibility and figure it out for you.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and ladysbff
I don't understand the part about the police not being able to do anything because it was on private property. That just makes it sound like someone could do any criminal activity on private property.
Police will investigate criminal activity on private property but not traffic accidents. If the Amazon driver assaulted the OP, the police would get involved. Many years ago I was at a gas station pumping gas into my car and a truck backed up right into my car damaging the fender. The police came but wouldn't write a report or get involved in any way because it was on private property. Luckily the guy was honest and had his insurance fix my car.

• Helpful
I worked for Dell back in the 90's when it was "small", and the factory in Austin was a converted warehouse in an office park. The employees therefore parked in a crowded lot which was also frequented by tractor-trailer trucks. They were writing multiple checks weekly lol. In fact, they were so good about compensating for damages that people would joke about parking their beaters in the right spot to try and get a payout.

However, as others have noted, Bezos doesn't own those trucks. They're independent contractors, but they still need insurance ffs. Given the size of Amazon's fleet, there must be accidents daily, so you'd think this would be pretty pro-forma at this point.

Some victims of corporate greed have found the company to do a 180 when an unflattering video posted to social media goes viral. It can be an effective strategy but it doesn't seem necessary at this point.

Seems like the OP asked for advice from an insurance agent, who advised "go do the thing that will cause me the least amount of effort". Just file a claim.

• Helpful
People who I gave full details of the incident about suggested going to the media. There is more info I'm not giving here that makes it... worse.

These details are unrelated to my insurance questions, though. But that's why I included the aside. Just wanted to hear other people's takes.

I'll just add my two cents... As others said, make your insurrance carrier do their job which you pay them for. As far as going to the media is concerned, what would be the purpose of that? What do you think going to the media would accomplish?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Seems like the OP asked for advice from an insurance agent, who advised "go do the thing that will cause me the least amount of effort". Just file a claim.

ding ding. My wife is decently high up in the insurance adjusting world (not auto thank god) and I can say the entire industry is slammed. Since my wife has been doing this for almost 20years she's got an encyclopedic understanding of the laws in her jurisdictions and the process, she has the lowest case load for any of her peers in the territory between roughly the Mississippi river and the Pacific ocean.

I have no doubt that auto adjuster is sitting on 200 other claims and doesnt want to deal with a self-insured like amazon. sucks to be them...

I'll just add my two cents... As others said, make your insurrance carrier do their job which you pay them for. As far as going to the media is concerned, what would be the purpose of that? What do you think going to the media would accomplish?
I had added more about why people suggested I go to the media but I deleted it. Don't want to keep talking about it in the public forum. The potential media frenzy over details I haven't shared here would be interesting in the current US political landscape, and would be prime clickbait fodder. That's the last I'll say on that.

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance and feedback. Very helpful, and will file a claim with my insurance company if this isn't sorted out soon.

One last question - for those who have gone through something like this, but didn't get their own insurance involved - were you able to get rental car coverage from the third party/self-insured?

One last question - for those who have gone through something like this, but didn't get their own insurance involved - were you able to get rental car coverage from the third party/self-insured?

Unlikely. that is a specific benefit you are entitled to under your policy. It does not matter that amazon is self insured or if they were using Geico or some other insurer, you are not their insured (client), thus you are not their "problem" = no incentive to outlay any additional money than they are legally and contractually obligated to do.

insurance companies are not altruistic, that goes even more so for self-insured as this is a cost center to them and affects their bottom line.

I do not mean offense by this, but this is about as basic of an insurance claim as is possible. File a claim, upload your evidence and go back to life. This is not rocket surgery, you weren't even in the vehicle! Couldn't be any more cut and dry. It seems to be YOU are making this more of a hassle for YOURSELF by not just going through the process. Sure it sucks, but c'mon this is why insurance exists. FYI, I was rear ended on 1/27/2021, they totaled my car shortly after. Its not that I am unsympathetic, this is just how this works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1 and ladysbff
Unlikely. that is a specific benefit you are entitled to under your policy. It does not matter that amazon is self insured or if they were using Geico or some other insurer, you are not their insured (client), thus you are not their "problem" = no incentive to outlay any additional money than they are legally and contractually obligated to do.

insurance companies are not altruistic, that goes even more so for self-insured as this is a cost center to them and affects their bottom line.

I do not mean offense by this, but this is about as basic of an insurance claim as is possible. File a claim, upload your evidence and go back to life. This is not rocket surgery, you weren't even in the vehicle! Couldn't be any more cut and dry. It seems to be YOU are making this more of a hassle for YOURSELF by not just going through the process. Sure it sucks, but c'mon this is why insurance exists. FYI, I was rear ended on 1/27/2021, they totaled my car shortly after. Its not that I am unsympathetic, this is just how this works.
Like I mentioned, I haven't had to make an insurance claim in a long time - more than 10 years. And just recently switched insurance companies, and the new company was not helpful at all about filing a claim. Which is why I posted and asked for advice. Thanks for the advice.

Like I mentioned, I haven't had to make an insurance claim in a long time - more than 10 years. And just recently switched insurance companies, and the new company was not helpful at all about filing a claim. Which is why I posted and asked for advice. Thanks for the advice.

It sucks that this happened to you. Its totally understandable to want to get some advice, this type of thing is what internet forums are all about, at least in my opinion. Hopefully it works out like you want (and like it should). The only other thing I would say is, since amazon is already slow playing / putting up roadblocks, I think I would pivot to using my own insurance sooner rather than later.

In any case, good luck, sorry this happened to you, and wishing you the best in getting it sorted out.

play hard ball. they (your insurance carrier) has a legally binding contract with you to fulfill services based on that contract. tell them they need to provide those services. talk to managers, be a Karen if necessary. You dont mention the state you are in, but some have a state board that helps in these situations, Oregon for example has the Insurance Ombudsmen's office.

The problem here, is you're trying to overmanage things. You keep telling us, you haven't given us "full details", and yet you want advice?!?

You get sound advice and yet you hesitate. Your insurance company works for you. The truck driver's insurance company works for him. That's all you need to know. The other stuff you are hinting at, is separate. Did he say some racist or misogynist or other hate-filled gibberish to you on video? That's a completely separate issue that you should discuss with your personal lawyer on whether you want to go public.

If it bleeds, it leads. The media is not gonna care about a fender bender in a parking lot, even if the driver was an a-hole. Now, if he physically assaulted you, they'd get right on it. Of course, if you were assaulted, the cops would have taken a report. But a truck-driver with a foul mouth is not exactly newsworthy.

Can I ask your state? Fault or no-fault state? It might also be helpful to name the carrier, as many of us may have had experience in dealing with them. I assume that you have full coverage, including collision and comprehensive?

Sounds like this involved 3 vehicles, the van, yours and someone else’s all locked together. I can see why the driver might be upset with himself and the situation. Might be afraid of Amazon firing him and sure he was also under pressure to make the rest of his deliveries. I've read these guys are under a tight time deadline, not sure how true but think it applies to most of these delivery services. Tough times and lots of people under a lot of pressure, financial and otherwise. I think it comes down to how much you want to deal with on your own and how much time you’ll sink into it and ultimately what settlement you might get.

All that aside the only thing I would add is that I believe if you go through your insurance you cannot file a diminished value claim. Something to check out for your state and take into consideration. Good luck. No accident even minor ones are fun to deal with.

You may have other claims but if you try and bring them now it could take years. Use your insurance, get your car fixed to your satisfaction and have an attorney review any release document before you sign it to preserve any other claims (disclaimer, there may be different law and time constraints in your area of the universe)

will file a claim with my insurance company if this isn't sorted out soon.
IMO, you shouldn’t wait. File an actual claim (don’t just call your insurance agent and talk about it), tell them DIRECTLY that you ARE FILING A CLAIM. And then do exactly that. Don’t let them push you around... you are paying them for a service, and you are making them provide the service you are paying for.

The advantage of actually filing the claim with your insurance company is that it makes them contractually (and according to the laws in your state legally) responsible to provide that service.

You literally don’t have a legal leg to stand on until that claim is filed.

Don’t wait. File that claim right now.