Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon Echo Auto (2nd gen) Installed w/Jowua USB Hub & Tray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry this is quite long.
TLDR: Here is info about a nice and neat little DIY installation of the latest Amazon Echo Auto device into a current (second generation) Model 3/Y console, using the Jowua USB LED Hub and optional matching tray setup.

Happy to entertain discussion about the Echo Auto itself and I do give some background on it below, but I'm not really looking to promote it or to debate users who want to campaign against it. Thanks.

Pinging @jcanoe as I remember he's a user of the Echo Auto product.

------------------

I've been using the original (1st gen) Echo Auto device in the MY since I purchased the car. For me, as a user accustomed to the Alexa interface at home, I find it to be a very good solution as my primary "manager" for Bluetooth streaming from amazon, Sirius XM, podcasts, YouTube and other phone-based audio, as well as the usual handy information-assistance usage: business hours, weather forecasts etc. Note that if you use your Alexa at home for Smart Home control, then this capability extends into the vehicle and you can do things like control lights when you leave or arrive, check the locks and garage door etc.

(You can also use the Alexa intercom-like network to "drop in" and chat with family or friends - however I personally do not like this idea at all, I stay far away from this kind of thing, and I have not allowed that to be enabled on my Alexa ecosystem!)​

I seriously need reading glasses to shift from driving to dashboard tasks, so I really appreciate any well-executed voice assistance. I wish Tesla would develop this aspect of their UI further; right now I'm not aware of any listen-and-respond capability. You can give certain voice commands to the Tesla but not others that it should understand, and it doesn't answer or acknowledge you by voice even though the navigation system can talk to you. Finally in this regard, I will note that I use the very functional Tessie app which has a highly functional integration with Alexa (as well as with Google Assistant and with Siri). I find that I can actually get certain information and/or control things that Tesla has not added to their voice control, by using the Tessie skill through Alexa and bypassing the Tesla screen UI. Mostly this is designed to do things like start the climate system or precondition while you're still inside your house, but having the Tessie voice control in the car adds another way to interact with the Tesla beyond the somewhat primitive native voice commands

As I said up top, I'm not really here to evangelize the Echo Auto or Alexa ecosystem. I'm happy to answer further questions but I'm not trying to start a debate. I completely understand that there are other ways to do everything it can do, including some of the Tesla built-in apps, Google or Siri alternatives and so on. (I started with Echo Auto in some older cars that didn't even have Bluetooth, much less any modern smart infotainment capability. For those cars, it's a real treat.)

Also by the way, I don't use the "Auto Mode" of the Alexa phone app - it provides a simplified large-icon interface, something akin to Android Auto, designed to make it safer to interact with the phone app while driving. I didn't enable that because I don't even look at the phone at all, while using the Echo Auto or pretty much any other time. Not only do I have the issue of switching glasses, but also FSD beta would scream at me and disengage if it caught me looking at the phone!

-----------------------

With all that preamble, I want to share a new installation I just did with the 2nd-gen Echo Auto unit, integrated with the Jowua USB LED hub and its matching sliding tray set. The Jowua setup is available from Amazon and probably several other places; I purchased mine from Abstract Ocean in 2021. It appears that AO still carries it, though as an older product they don't feature it as strongly. It's not particularly cheap so maybe that limited its popularity. I see they've headed a few alternative hubs and trays.

The sliding tray and a selectable style/color of silicone compartmented insert or designed with a slim cutout that conforms to the shape of the installed USB hub. It's a nicely design setup but again not the cheapest for sure - the normal price is around $100 for the complete set, but I've seen them on sale so you could look for that.

Abstract Ocean Jowua USB LED Hub
Abstract Ocean Matching Console Tray+Insert - Multi Styles/Colors

Amazon Jowua USB LED Hub
Amazon Matching Console Tray+Insert - Multi Styles/Colors

Note that his is specifically for the Gen 2 Tesla 3/Y console with the sliding cover and the two USB-C ports down low in the console compartment. The Jowua hub plugs into those ports and provides two USB-A ports down low, as well as USB-C and USB-A ports up on the top edge of the hub. There's also an on/off LED light switch, to illuminate the console better than the small built-in lamp; both of these original and supplemental lights are mostly useful for the deep compartment under the tray, not so much useful for lighting the contents of the upper tray, although it does help a bit with that.

Previously, I had the Amazon Echo Auto (1st gen) sitting completely underneath the sliding tray, plugged into one of the hub's USB-A ports and with the longish cable just laying coiled in the .eep compartment. The high-tech Echo microphone was good enough to hear me address the Alexa with the tray slid rearwards in its normal position, but then closing the sliding console lid would create a double acoustic barrier, and it would then struggle to hear me unless I spoke very loud. So I basically left the cover open and the tray contents exposed.

With the new Echo Auto (2nd gen), I was able to create a cleaner and better installation. The new product has a very small mic unit with its two control buttons (Mute and Action) that are now quite easy to access, though I rarely if ever need to use them. More importantly, the mic is now mounted just above the sliding tray and under the sliding console lid, so Alexa can easily hear me even with the lid closed. More attractive and dust resistant.

Here's a short video of the installed operation; it's on YouTube because I can't seem to upload the video file directly to TMC.

Here are pictures of the Jowua hub after I opened it up, made a few mods and tucked the excess USB cable inside. The modifications were to create a couple of U-shaped cutouts for USB cable entry and exit, and then a few cutouts to thin molded supports inside so that the cable could run next to the PC boards and be bundled up mostly in the center of the inside cavity of the hub. I haven't reopened the hub to take photos of what I did inside; I could do that but I'm not sure if it's needed or worth it (and there may be exactly zero users who want to duplicate my installation :) ).

The first picture shows the Echo Auto not plugged into the hub yet, including a right-angle USB-A adapter I bought to keep the external cable as short as possible:
Amazon USB-A 90 Degree Adapters
1684649267963.png

The second photo shows the speaker module wrapped around the bottom, with the USB connector plugged in to the hub. I could add mounting tape to further secure the speaker unit, but it doesn't seem necessary. The speaker output fires upwards across the front face of the hub.
1684649501724.png

To be clear, the speaker is basically used during setup or to advise the user of a failed Bluetooth connection etc. In normal operation, all audio including Alexa's chime and voice responses will come through the Tesla speakers. Likewise, the mic is used only to listen for the wake word ("Alexa", or a couple of other choices if you can figure them instead). Phone conversations are routed through the Tesla mic and speakers.
(The basic principle of the Echo Auto is that it uses the Alexa infrastructure to respond to queries and initiate actions, but the actual audio of those communications, as well as any streamed music, phone calls, message reading or whatever else, take place between the phone and the Tesla Bluetooth audio, as they would if you initiated them using your smartphone.)​

The third photo below is similar to the video already linked above. It shows the completed installation. The mic unit magnetically attaches to a little self-stick mount - note that this mount is included when you buy the Echo Auto 2; they offer a bundle with amount for about $5 more, but you don't need the extra one. I chose to stick the magnet directly to the flocked edge of the console under the lid. It seems to be sticking but if it fails, I'll do something else.
1684653316377.png

I could have used a 3M Command strip or Velcro tape to allow the magnet to be taken off and reattached, to make it easier to remove the sliding tray if needed. As it is, the magnet sticks out over the tray edge, so if I want to remove the tray I have to take out the silicone compartment insert and then the ABS plastic tray can just be maneuvered past the magnet. Not a big problem as I rarely need to remove that tray completely. But you should watch out for this and take care not to completely block the installation and removal of the ABS plastic tray. Again, mounting the magnet with a Command strip or Velcro so it can be removed, or alternatively mounting the mic directly to the console edge using one of those, are some other ideas.

Conclusion: Now that I've done this, I'm glad I purchased the second generation Echo Auto unit. It's a better installation with less stuff cluttering up the console well and now I can use it comfortably with the console lid in the closed position.

Attachments

• 1684649881477.png
    1684649881477.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
What are the power requirements/options for the 2nd Generation Echo Auto?
If you mean, How does it get power?, it still plugs into USB-A like the 1st Gen product, but now there is no detachable connector on either the speaker unit or the mic unit - whereas the first gen had a micro USB receptacle on its single-piece unit.

It comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB-A port to power the Echo, plus an additional USB-C "fast charge" port (QC3.0 apparently), presumably for use by people who use such adapters to charge their phones. I don't use that 12V adapter at all, because I have the USB hub with its several USB-A and (if needed) USB-C as well.

If you mean, "How much power does it draw?", I didn't even think about that until now. This spec is surprisingly difficult to find; it's not found in the Full Technical Details table in the Amazon product listing! There are a couple of tiny booklets in multiple languages, and I finally found an entry in the "important information" booklet. It lists the spec as "5.0V MAX 2.0A". However this seems highly doubtful to me; the unit would run quite hot if it consumed more than one or two watts. So I suspect the continuous average power draw is far lower than that spec, but there may be transient loading over 1A. Never any sign of a problem with the USB hub connection. The hub connects into the two USB-C ports in the console, and I believe those stay on unless the car is really sleeping. Are you concerned about battery drain between drives? This wasn't something I even thought about with the first gen unit.

If you mean, How does it get power?, it still plugs into USB-A like the 1st Gen product, but now there is no detachable connector on either the speaker unit or the mic unit - whereas the first gen had a micro USB receptacle on its single-piece unit.

It comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB-A port to power the Echo, plus an additional USB-C "fast charge" port (QC3.0 apparently), presumably for use by people who use such adapters to charge their phones. I don't use that 12V adapter at all, because I have the USB hub with its several USB-A and (if needed) USB-C as well.

If you mean, "How much power does it draw?", I didn't even think about that until now. This spec is surprisingly difficult to find; it's not found in the Full Technical Details table in the Amazon product listing! There are a couple of tiny booklets in multiple languages, and I finally found an entry in the "important information" booklet. It lists the spec as "5.0V MAX 2.0A". However this seems highly doubtful to me; the unit would run quite hot if it consumed more than one or two watts. So I suspect the continuous average power draw is far lower than that spec, but there may be transient loading over 1A. Never any sign of a problem with the USB hub connection. The hub connects into the two USB-C ports in the console, and I believe those stay on unless the car is really sleeping. Are you concerned about battery drain between drives? This wasn't something I even thought about with the first gen unit.
I power the 1st Gen Echo Auto using the 12V accessory adapter as my 2020 LRMY does not have a spare front USB port. I later added a passive USB hub to the USB-A data port so I could play MP3 files stored on USB thumb drive. Since the Echo Auto was already setup to be powered from the accessory port I never changed it to use the USB hub (unpowered). I am not sure of the power draw limitations from the passive hub.

One of the more interesting (annoying?) things about the Echo Auto device is every time my Tesla Model Y wakes from sleep mode the Alexa app sends a notification to my iPhone or Apple watch that the Alexa app is Ready to Drive.

One of the more interesting (annoying?) things about the Echo Auto device is every time my Tesla Model Y wakes from sleep mode the Alexa app sends a notification to my iPhone or Apple watch that the Alexa app is Ready to Drive.
I haven't noticed that, but like I said I disabled Alexa Auto Mode.

Also, I just played with the Alexa app (Android).
If you go to
[More Button]->Settings->Notifications->Auto Mode
there is a selwitch for "Send a Phone Notification"

Mine is turned off, maybe because I don't use Auto Mode.
But you could try going to that setting and switching it off.

I haven't noticed that, but like I said I disabled Alexa Auto Mode.

Also, I just played with the Alexa app (Android).
If you go to
[More Button]->Settings->Notifications->Auto Mode
there is a selwitch for "Send a Phone Notification"

Mine is turned off, maybe because I don't use Auto Mode.
But you could try going to that setting and switching it off.
I like getting this notification, knowing my Model Y is up to something.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
What do you use Alexa for in the car?
Pretty much anything you'd use Alexa for at home. The Echo Auto BT device enables the Alexa phone app to hear you as you speak Alexa commands over the car noise or music. The Alexa App can switch in a streamlined Alexa Auto mode that includes turn by turn voice navigation, music and phone functions.

When exploring a new area you can ask Alexa to suggest "points of interest near me."

If you have a SiriusXM account you can use the Alexa skill for SiriusXM and stream SiriusXM from your phone via BT to the Tesla audio system. You can drop in, converse with members of your Alexa circle while driving, control your home automation.

With the Alexa app and the Echo Auto accessory you can do all of these things without having to hold and unlock your phone. (You do need to open your phone when starting to navigate to a destination.)

Pretty much anything you'd use Alexa for at home. The Echo Auto BT device enables the Alexa phone app to hear you as you speak Alexa commands over the car noise or music. The Alexa App can switch in a streamlined Alexa Auto mode that includes turn by turn voice navigation, music and phone functions.

When exploring a new area you can ask Alexa to suggest "points of interest near me."

If you have a SiriusXM account you can use the Alexa skill for SiriusXM and stream SiriusXM from your phone via BT to the Tesla audio system. You can drop in, converse with members of your Alexa circle while driving, control your home automation.

With the Alexa app and the Echo Auto accessory you can do all of these things without having to hold and unlock your phone. (You do need to open your phone when starting to navigate to a destination.)
So something like Google assistant that I have in my Volt.

Reactions: jcanoe
Does Alexa need to be tethered your phone's 5g or does it use the car's data?
You need to use your phone's data plan to use the Alexa app. The Tesla Model Y (all current Tesla vehicles) do not support a Wi-Fi hotspot for user devices. The Tesla Model Y's Wi-Fi is strictly for the Tesla native vehicle applications and for downloading updates from Tesla.

You need to use your phone's data plan to use the Alexa app. The Tesla Model Y (all current Tesla vehicles) do not support a Wi-Fi hotspot for user devices. The Tesla Model Y's Wi-Fi is strictly for the Tesla native vehicle applications and for downloading updates from Tesla.
That's correct. There have been discussion concerning use of Wi-Fi hotspot in a Tesla, but there are people are talking about going the other way - they want to use their phone's data plan and have the Tesla connect to the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot as a way to avoid paying for Premium Connectivity.

I believe that Tesla used to shut off it's own access to external Wi-Fi anytime the car wasn't parked. But a year or two back, Tesla allowed Wi-Fi access to be re-enabled after the car is put into drive. So, if you don't want to pay for Premium Connectivity, but you do want to use built-in Tesla apps for infotainment streaming (rather than rely on your phone's apps and Bluetooth link), you can now put the car in Drive and then reconnect the Tesla to your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot.

I have never tried this, but it strikes me as kind of a nuisance even though it saves the $10 per month Premium charge. And for me, in the end it still has me using the car's touch screen controls to manage the built-in apps for infotainment. I prefer the more well-developed Voice assistance and streaming access provided by Alexa (or one of the alternatives). If you agree with that, and if you choose Alexa, then the Echo Auto device still isn't strictly required but it makes the experience more seamless and reliable.

I do happen to subscribe to Premium Connectivity as,well, but it's probably not really doing much for me. If I had to choose between paying for Tesla Premium Connectivity or buying the Echo Auto and subscribing to some premium services through Alexa, I would definitely choose the lelatter.

A lot of people ask about SiriusXM streaming, and the Alexa voice interface provides the easiest and most hands-free way to use it. However, there are additional things you can do with the Sirius XM app on the phone, namely you can get a few hours of time-shifting history on many news channels. As far as I can tell, the Alexa skill interface cannot do that.