Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon Echo Auto to the rescue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw the announcement for the amazon echo auto, it's a device that connects to your phone and to the bluetooth in your car to allow you to use alexa on the go in the car. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to use my phone for spotify or sirius streaming is because I don't want to be fumbling with my phone while driving. Using Alexa to change stations or stream albums from spotify would be way better than using the phone. Check the link for more information.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...62b-4f81-b307-070f98ee5a96&pf_rd_i=9818047011

I'm really hoping this will work as an easier way to connect to SiriusXM, but honestly I'm not sure it's going to be ideal, seems like if Echo Auto is connected to the car's BT, then the phone won't be, so calls won't route through the car...unless it routes through Echo to the car...which seems redundant and complicated.

• Funny
Reactions: TT97
seems like if Echo Auto is connected to the car's BT, then the phone won't be, so calls won't route through the car
yeah, I don't have my M3 yet, but my understanding is only one thing can be the active device on Bluetooth at a time, which makes this a problem. I have Sirius XM streaming which works over Alexa great, but if it disconnects my phone, then I'd just use the XM Radio app on the phone.

The nice thing about using my regular non-car Echo is that it has its own speaker which might be a low tech way around the Bluetooth limitations

Yeah... oddly they leave out the words "hotspot" or "wifi" but that 's what they mean:

"Echo Auto uses your existing smartphone plan and the Alexa app for connectivity and other features. Carrier charges may apply."

I took it to mean that Echo Auto will establish a direct WiFi to your phone using the Alexa app. That way you don't have to create a hotspot, but that's just my guess. My camera does the same via the camera app on the phone. It will still use your data but you don't have to enable a hotspot every time.

It would be cool if it works with Alexa drop in. I could just drop in at home on the way back and ask "Anybody home? Need anything from Costco?" :p

Really this is just an interface to the phone Alexa app. Because you can do everything already with the Alexa app.

It looks like it uses bluetooth connectivity to your phone...my guess it's going to be a bluetooth session over to the Alexa app on your device for it... here's the connectivity details: Hands-Free Profile (HFP) support for calling, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of media sessions, Serial Port Profile for Bluetooth connectivity to Android phones and iPod Accessory Protocol for Bluetooth connectivity to iPhones.

The regular small Echo works off USB, so planning to try that in the car. When the Auto version comes out, I’ll probably switch to that (especially if they send me the $25 launch offer.)
I've meaning to try my home echo in the model 3 as well and see what it offers. I can create a hotspot on my phone. I have unlimited data. I put in for an invitation for the car version.

my guess: it'll connect to your phone via bluetooth, you'll use the "alexa auto" app or whatever they use on your phone, and it'll connect to that and run everything from there. your phone still connects to the car via bluetooth, so you don't lose the ability to do phone calls...and no need to do any kind of hotspot, since it's all running through the app on your phone. similar to how pandora works on my volt. if it works, this will be an acceptable solution for other streaming until someone figures out how to add an aux input and/or satellite radio.

now, just need to find a good place to mount it and a different power source...that looks hideous in their promotional photos with the wire hanging down the dash like that. not sure why they thought that was good idea...

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pegann and Joe F
It would be cool if it works with Alexa drop in. I could just drop in at home on the way back and ask "Anybody home? Need anything from Costco?" :p

it says right on the product description page that it will work with drop in...

When you’re leaving the office, use Drop In to connect with compatible Echo devices at home to check in with the family, or send them a quick Announcement that you’re picking up dinner.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Just saw the announcement for the amazon echo auto, it's a device that connects to your phone and to the bluetooth in your car to allow you to use alexa on the go in the car. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to use my phone for spotify or sirius streaming is because I don't want to be fumbling with my phone while driving. Using Alexa to change stations or stream albums from spotify would be way better than using the phone. Check the link for more information.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...62b-4f81-b307-070f98ee5a96&pf_rd_i=9818047011
I saw this on slate this morning. Some folks have just been using an Echo dot which fits into some cupholders but this seems better designed for this purpose.

I have read that Amazon is working with a number of carmakers to integrate this capability into their cars, just like they worked with Sonos for integrated function, before Amazon stabbed them in the back with their latest addition to the Echo line. Many of us have begged for years for better voice command capability with the Tesla (e.g., climate control), either organically or tying up with Google, Apple or Amazon for their voice functions. The integration of the Amazon Auto function into other cars demands a reaction from tesla, lest we fall behind and lose the lead in seemless voice integration. What will tesla do?

I have read that Amazon is working with a number of carmakers to integrate this capability into their cars, just like they worked with Sonos for integrated function, before Amazon stabbed them in the back with their latest addition to the Echo line. Many of us have begged for years for better voice command capability with the Tesla (e.g., climate control), either organically or tying up with Google, Apple or Amazon for their voice functions. The integration of the Amazon Auto function into other cars demands a reaction from tesla, lest we fall behind and lose the lead in seemless voice integration. What will tesla do?

Unless v9 has a lot more surprises than we think they'll do the same thing they did when everyone else on earth began offering Carplay/Android Auto.... continue offering the worst infotainment system in the industry.

before Amazon stabbed them in the back with their latest addition to the Echo line
Just because Amazon made a box you can glue to your dash doesn’t change any automakers plans to build similar features into their future cars. The Echo for Auto is for the millions of older cars already in service.

The integration of the Amazon Auto function into other cars demands a reaction from tesla,
CarPlay has been around for a couple years and Tesla seems in no hurry to improve the entertainment features in their software. Heck, the stereo in the 6 year old Acura I just traded in did some things better than Tesla. Hopefully it will become a priority next year, but who knows.....

Reactions: APotatoGod