TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Amazon PrimeAir

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by NigelM, Dec 2, 2013.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#1 NigelM, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Clever marketing on Amazon's part to release this on Cyber Monday. Saw it on local TV news, and Amazon didn't even have to pay for a spot! Well played, capitalism...

Unfortunately it is just an advertisement for now, just like the earlier pizza delivery video. US FAA laws currently prohibit 'drone' flights for commercial use. We shall see how long it takes for that law to be changed.

3. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

#3 Zzzz..., Dec 2, 2013
    The idea of drone delivery is quite old. And there are few similar claims around already. First really nice video I saw was from Shanghai startup planning to deliver cakes:)

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

Drone delivered pizza would be pretty cool, would save the company's tons of money & take some reckless drivers off the streets.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

What am I supposed to do with that sturdy plastic box once my item is removed? Do I put it out in the yard for the drone to come pick it up again?

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

May just be thin plastic. Meant to be recycled, I suppose, like the cardboard boxes of today. I don't think Amazon would want you to plug the empty box into a waiting drone.

7. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

ah, what the world will be like for my 3 year old daughter when she is in her teens.......can't wait! Love this idea.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

... and then there's this proposed bounty for shooting down drones!

9. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

If you watch the video linked by NigelM, you will see that Jeff Bezos directly addressed and answered your questions in the video.

Mine daughters are teen age. I have no doubt that singularity event will happen in their life time. But following AI developments closely (not what reported by media but mostly from reading deep learning related papers and such) I'm getting more and more optimistic about witnessing singularity myself:smile:

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Make it biodegrade in 4 hours. ;)

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I really think this was a news attention getter to push Amazon in the headlines. I don't think the idea will every "take off". You'll just have kids and adults waiting for these things to fly by to pick them off with a gun, net, or anything else to capture the goods. Also there are many people living in condo's, apartment buildings, etc where the drone delivery system can't work. Lastly all you need is for one of those eight blades to poke some kids eye out and well, all hell would break loose.

12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I've got a upstairs back porch I'd be fine to have drones drop packages on, or anywhere on the slab downstairs by the heat pump or trash can or walkway. Heck plenty of places to drop it that don't include the grassy areas in the front or back yard.

Worred about hitting a person or someone trying to intercept? How about delivering at 2am or 4am when it is dark as can be? I can pick up the package in the morning when I wake up. Drone can use infrared/low light cameras to see by.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Dec 3, 2013
  14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

But it might be an answer for the lack of a spare tire. Tesla just sends a drone out to where you have the flat. Of course, it would have to be bigger than Amazon's, and you'd need to carry a jack as they didn't do the air suspension right, but a jack is easier to carry than a spare tire.

16. jandkw

jandkw Member

I love technology all my life but even if the PrimeAir technology works out perfectly, I hate to see this implemented. Imagine we'll have thousands of this thing flying over my head daily and invade my air space. We have enough airplane and noise above us daily and the last thing we want is the packages flying all over. We have kids playing on the streets so is this thing a full proof without accidents, I doubt it. We are asking for trouble to execute this. I hope FAA never approve this technology.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Don't worry, it won't happen. This is all about getting free publicity for Amazon during the Cyber Monday craze. And it worked beautifully.

18. jandkw

jandkw Member

I hope you're right, Doug_G. Amazon is a huge enterprise with great lobbying power. We'll never know. One thing I know is I will join forces to fight against it.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Sadly, it could be a Hyperloop. But this should happen, damn it. For certain things it should be more efficient per mile, using a hub model. Urban hub with rural distribution? Or I guess people could just pick up. :p

On a variant of this, I watched a TED talk from the CEO of Matternet, who want to use drones for distribution where roads are lacking or where it avoids dealing with heavy congestion.

Andreas Raptopoulos: No roads? There’s a drone for that | Video on TED.com

20. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX