Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants amber turn signals on their Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason the center mounted brake light is good is that it clearly isn't a turn blinker. I can remember seeing a car with red turn blinkers and no center mounted brake light, at night, with at least one bulb burned out, turn blinker on, and pumping his brakes. As far as I could tell he was signalling that a train was about to cross my path...

With the yellow turn blinker you know immediately, without hesitation, that he's signalling a turn and not just tapping his brakes. Sometimes even a fraction of a second can make all the difference.

90% of the time around here turn signals aren't used for turning or changing lanes. They're used as "shopping lights" for stopping illegally outside stores and blocking roads. :rolleyes:

In my experience, especially on the highway, drivers are already half way through their lane change by the time they signal!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I believe actually does help are the amber turn signal repeaters on the front side of the car. Sometimes they're on the side view mirror and other times they're on the front fender, usually behind the wheel. I can't remember if Model S has these...

In my experience, especially on the highway, drivers are already half way through their lane change by the time they signal!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I believe actually does help are the amber turn signal repeaters on the front side of the car. Sometimes they're on the side view mirror and other times they're on the front fender, usually behind the wheel. I can't remember if Model S has these...
Yes, it has. In the Tesla logo on the side.

90% of the time around here turn signals aren't used for turning or changing lanes. They're used as "shopping lights" for stopping illegally outside stores and blocking roads. :rolleyes:

Oh geez. I haven't seen that phenomenon before. I hope it doesn't spread. It sounds worse than the parking lot stalkers, which make me nuts. :cursing:

The car that I drive now has amber turn signals. I find that people are very responsive to them when I go to change lanes on the freeway. When I drive a different car without the amber turn signals I wonder if the turn signals are working at all. People don't see them or they ignore them.
The amber is much more eye-catching in traffic.

It seems that since people have started to use their brakes on the freeway so much (for whatever crazy reason) that red flashing lights have lost meaning. It used to mean one should prepare to brake "all in" because there is an accident immediately in front of you or a stationary object is blocking the road.

Hmm, doesn't the whole outer red area blink on the us cars? I like the yellow, but the light looks so small

Yes. In the N. American market the brake and turn signal can be combined into one whereas in Europe, the brake (red) and turn signal (amber) have to be separate elements. It would likely be more involved than just replacing the lamp on the back of the car.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I am) I thought that the European brake light had to be independent of the running light as well (i.e. the brake light has to go from completely off to completely on even if it's night and the tail lights are on).

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I am) I thought that the European brake light had to be independent of the running light as well (i.e. the brake light has to go from completely off to completely on even if it's night and the tail lights are on).

Not required, but personally much more appreciated.

During daytime most new cars have the rear red lights completely off to make the switch from not braking to braking easier to spot. During night they can use the same for rear lights and braking, but having a second part of the fixture light up does make it easier.

On the other hand, not many cars without a third brakelight on the roads.

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

Lots of back and forward with Tesla to see whether this can be fitted to my upcoming Model S but it seems there is no chance for that.
We Roadster owners have been asking for this for years to no avail. Gotta say that is ONE benefit of an independent dealer network - they'll sell parts to anyone to make a buck. On the Corvette forums members would routinely arrange group buys of Euro turn signals from a dealer over there and ship them to the US. Tesla won't sell them to us as they know what we're going to do with them.

We Roadster owners have been asking for this for years to no avail. Gotta say that is ONE benefit of an independent dealer network - they'll sell parts to anyone to make a buck. On the Corvette forums members would routinely arrange group buys of Euro turn signals from a dealer over there and ship them to the US. Tesla won't sell them to us as they know what we're going to do with them.

I will challenge Tesla to sell me euro lights In Norway so I can ship to a forum member that has shown interest. But we have to wait untill autumn/late summer.

If it works well for him i would be able to help export lights In the future - as long as i am able to get them.

AFAIK Norwegian laws does not give them the right to deny sell me the lights or other parts. Will buy them through my friends paint-shop company if they ask questions on why i need, say, 10 pairs.

Ill stop by the thread In a few months when I know more.

Thanks Laumb! It's always baffled me why Tesla wouldn't sell us lights. Parts have a huge markup (why turn down profit?) and they're not responsible for what I do to my car. I'll definitely take you up on it both for our Model S and Roadster.

Lloyd: It's possible based on how different parts of the light blink on a US vs Euro car, but I'm handy w/ wire cutters, a soldering iron, and multimeter. :tongue: