TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Amber rear turn signals?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Stuart, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Who wants amber turn signals on their Model S?

1. Definitely want!

77.8%
  2. Don't care either way.

16.0%
  3. Don't want.

4.3%
  4. "Tell them I hate them!"

1.9%
  1. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

It's sure going to take a long time to drop some anachronistic expressions. Hit the *gas* pedal. Run up their *tail pipe*. *Dial* the telephone. :smile:

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I think it's more useful for lane changes on the highway. E.g., is the guy in the lane to my right slowing down or about to cut in front of me?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

A motorcyclist lane splitting would appreciate being able to quickly tell which cars are about to change lanes.
    (Assuming that the car bothers to signal, and cares to warn the cyclist to not try to pass.)

Where the color matters to me the most is in very busy multi-lane highway night use.
    Driving in LA on the 405 it tends to be a sea of brake lights with so much 'stop-and-go', but if I see a grouping of yellow/amber up ahead in one lane I know that lane has an issue and I should start finding a different lane. (Not that I have been on the 405 recently, but I still remember how I felt driving it.)

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I don' think you drive the 405 as much as you occupy a slowly moving space on it.

5. zack

zack Member

Amber turn signals. Please. Anything to protect me in my little carbon-fiber electron-manipulating beast.

6. mt2

mt2 Member

From Lloyd's post a few ahead of yours ...

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It was many many years ago when it actually kind-of moved a bit.

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

In that case, I'm all for it.

9. Ardie

Ardie Member

My name is Ardie and I am a 405 commuter.

(Hello, Ardie.)

Seriously, since half my commute is before sunrise, the turn signal color might have some consequence for me.
    I suspect its too late in the game to make design changes, and I'm sure that whatever Tesla offers, I will be happy to become their customer.

-- Ardie

10. Stuart

Stuart Roadster#326, ModelS#1409

If I were asking Tesla to make design changes I'd agree with you, but since they have to sell cars with amber turn signals in the rest of the world anyway, I'm just asking them to not make a different version for the US market (or at least offer US buyers the option of getting their cars with the worldwide lighting configuration).

11. strider

strider Active Member

Has anyone investigated buying amber signals for Roadsters? Over on the Corvette Forum we used to run group buys where someone in Europe would buy a bunch of replacement taillights and ship them over to the States. Tesla might be more difficult since a franchise dealer will sell to anyone to make money while Tesla might raise an eyebrow if someone in the UK walks into the London Service Centre asking for 10 sets of rear indicators. But curious if anyone's asked?

12. Tommy

Tommy Member

Maybe I am missing something here, but when I toured the factory the beta's all had an amber light in the rear (see photo). Is it possible they already intend to use amber. My question to forum members is if the amber light in the photo is not for a turn signal than what exactly is it for. In any case, given the amber light is already present, I wouldn't think it to difficult to have amber turn signals incorporated into the final design.

View attachment 3107

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's the tail lights from the Alphas. IIRC, they were just used in testing. The beta tails have a pipe-light effect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Actually the Alphas had yet another prototype LED "slap together" arrangement.
    alphalight.jpg

Those round ones seen on that one car in the Tesla factory were probably some kind of experiment, and temporary test. We may never see a car like that on the street.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

One can hope.

16. Tommy

Tommy Member

Yes, they could be some sort of experiment, but as this beta was configured with amber/red lights, I am making the assumption that this configuration will be the one incorporated into the final design. The final look of the tail light assembly pipe-light not with standing, if the purpose of the beta is to test the function of the rear lights and Tesla intended to use all red lighting, it just seems that's what they would have shown. Some circular logic here perhaps, or just wishful thinking.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

My take has always been that it was a test fixture - temporarily put on that chassis to test the wiring harness.
    It is easy to install/remove those kind of lighting assemblies so they could swap them around on short notice.
    I think the ones on the cars driving around outside were the closest representation of what they intend for production.
    Odd parts inside the factory probably weren't representative of any future directions.

18. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

While we're talking about turn signal characteristics that the Europeans enjoy but we Americans do not, I would like to put in a plug for the turn signal stalk being able to register a slight up or down which makes the turn signal blink 3 times and stop. I had my current car re-programmed and it now allows me to do this and I love it. Which is funny to say about a turn signal. But the ability on the highway to give a light tap and signal a lane change without having to then manually turn the signal stalk back into the unblinking position is a simple but very nice touch.

Late to the game? Ford adds three blink tap to turn signal

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yes, when I went to the event on the 1st, I had a mini that didn't do it. I ended up just holding the stalk for a couple seconds to simulate. I think I had this on my wishlist, but I haven't seen anything about it being included. Perhaps a software tweak can enable it.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't like the auto three blink tap. I like to be able to decide for myself how many blinks I want.