Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants amber turn signals on their Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Boston, using turn signals is treasonous -- you're giving information to the enemy!

Funnily enough, Ottawa drivers are a lot more tame, but they have this annoying habit of trying to block you when you want to merge. The Roadster is great for that because they don't have enough time to react.

No. When indicating a turn, that light would blink amber (instead of red). You still have the other tail light and the CHMSL to be solid red for braking.

Okay, I think it's reasonable for it to suppress the brake light and blink amber.

There is precedent for this sort of thing; I've noticed some cars now dim the headlight on one side so oncoming cars can see the turn blinker. Great for the oncoming cars... but I've always wondered whether the driver can see where he's going. :confused:

When I lived in Wisconsin, I learned from other drivers that one blinker should be left on at all times, presumably for decorative purposes. Especially while driving on the highway in the slow lane (i.e. left lane).

Once I was just behind and to the right of a car with its left turn blinker on and forgotten. Then it switched off, and he immediately swung right into my lane, forcing me to brake. Then he turned the left turn blinker back on again.

I believe he never realized the blinker was running. He thought he just safely signaled a right-hand lane change!

Really makes you wonder how often some drivers look at their instruments. Of course, in my roadster, I can't see them behind the steering wheel ;-)

Yeah. I sometimes what the Lotus designers were drinking when they designed the Elise in terms of visibility of controls, dials and the fixed steering wheel.

Last edited:
Model S = no gas tank. Awesome, I'll drive with my hazards on all the time. Fashion statement.

Are you sure you are not from the north, and come to visit Florida in the Winters? It seems that when it rains just a little bit, all the snowbirds here turn on their flashers to say it is raining.....Anoying as Heck!!!!! But, I found out a way to get them to turn them off...just follow them and flash your brights at the car in front of you in rhythm with their flashers....But of course we would never do that !!!!!

I just watched this video: News Videos and Video Clip | NBC Bay Area

At 1:47 you see the line change indicator and that's amber.

Don't know what the other turn signals do, but I expect them to be amber as well?

Those are basically required by law to be yellow/amber (along with the front indicators) in the USA. The rear indicators are allowed to be red or amber.

Basically IIRC the way turn indicator rules are written in the USA is as follows:

Turn signals:
They can't be white
They must be red or yellow/amber

... later in the rules

Red lights may only appear on the rear of the vehicle.

which forces all of the other indicators to be yellow.

Those are basically required by law to be yellow/amber (along with the front indicators) in the USA. The rear indicators are allowed to be red or amber.

Basically IIRC the way turn indicator rules are written in the USA is as follows:

Turn signals:
They can't be white
They must be red or yellow/amber

... later in the rules

Red lights may only appear on the rear of the vehicle.

which forces all of the other indicators to be yellow.

They also can't appear too close to DRLs apparently, which is why Audis "wink"