Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants amber turn signals on their Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm cycling, I HATE red turn signals. It's so hard to tell at a glance - and sorry, that's all I've got time for as I also have to pay attention to the other moron behind me who might do a stupid right hook turn (it's dangerous, and it's illegal, at least in California, to turn right without merging into the bike lane - yet all the stupid drivers... sigh...)

Even worse, the U.S. has to have the stupidest turn signal regulations EVER, as they allow colocation of said inferior red turn signal with the brake lights. How stupid is that? Cadillac and Jeep designers seem to be the most fond of committing this atrocity.

Turn signals should be amber, and never in the same location as the brake lights. Period. The EU has this right.

(I would buy into a group mod for the Roadster).

Here's something I saw in the MVPA that could put a damper on anyone wanting to tweak their Model S by swapping parts, or even tinkering with the software:

mvpa2.PNG

Though I think the Roadster had the same MVPA (this doc says copyright 2010) and OVMS and similar projects have definitely tinkered with the software -- and we know people have swapped tails and other things, so maybe this is just some broad legalese that will never be enforced (or I'm interpreting wrong).

Tesla has always been weird about selling parts. Something about Lotus owners buying all their stock. That may have changed because the last time I asked they said "We will sell you what ever you want." I am skeptical.
Can you buy a manual?
A front T logo?
A CF trunk for your 2.5?

Do we have a EU US taillight reference?

Now people have driven the Model S, any final word on the turn signals?

I some videos I saw the front and side signals to be amber, so we can be sure on that one. I never saw any rear turn signals.

Anybody noticed?

I did not mean modifying the software, I meant tinkering around as in looking under the hood, poking things to see how they work.... Reverse engineering.

Probably most accurate to say that we reversed engineered some of the messages on the car's can bus. The only 'tinkering' has been on that bus. The OVMS 'tinkerers' haven't gone near the firmware in the car itself (either VMS or VDS). Quite frankly, we haven't needed to. Think of it as trying to understand what is going on inside someone's brain by listening to what they say and hear, rather than opening up their skull.

I do suspect that others have gone deeper, and there has been and will be some serious tinkering going on - just not for the OVMS project :)

Sorry. Probably used the wrong terminology. I meant the tail lights on the black and the white S given out at the ceremony looked like they had a different color than the Red. They looked smoked or amber.

If you're talking about the white car that was on a sort of stage, it's an alpha. Seems wierd that they chose to put it on display, as a lot of the news articles included pictures of it with no mention that it was the alpha model. But yeah at least some versions of the alpha or beta had rear amber turn signals, for instance:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2012-tesla-model-s

For the record, I like red rear turn signals, simply because I think it looks better. I agree, amber turn signals are safer and make it easier to distinguish a turn signal from the brake light, but I think it looks nicer with red blinkers in the back. And since the model S has a very large upper brake light along the roof line, I don't think it's much of an issue.

Really makes you wonder how often some drivers look at their instruments. Of course, in my roadster, I can't see them behind the steering wheel ;-)

I have the same problem in mine.

The Roadster turn signals don't seem to auto-cancel as well as other cars I've driven. And the clicker is too quiet to hear over the wind noise at freeway speeds. And the dashboard indicator lights are hidden out of sight behind the steering wheel.

All of which adds up to me feeling like an idiot when I realize I've been driving for who-knows-how-long with my turn signals blinking.