Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient light toggle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I'm running v8.0 in the facelifted MS w/ Premium Package, and there's a button for "Ambient Lighting" next to "Dome lights". Enabling Ambient Lighting dims the ambient lighting when you open any door. Disabling Ambient Lighting makes the ambient lighting brighter? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

What I've noticed is that when you toggle off the ambient lighting, yes the door lights get brighter but after some time, they turn off completely. Like when you drive. So they only turn on when you open the door but when you start driving they turn off.

What I've noticed is that when you toggle off the ambient lighting, yes the door lights get brighter but after some time, they turn off completely. Like when you drive. So they only turn on when you open the door but when you start driving they turn off.

I'll also add that with the toggle turned on, adjusting the brightness of the screens adjusts the brightness of the ambient lighting as well.

Did this behavior change again in a recent update?

On my drive home tonight, I noticed that the ambient lighting in the door armrests stayed on for the entire drive. My recollection is that those lights used to turn off once the car started moving, and would only be on when the car was stopped and the door was opened.

Edit: I'm on 2.52.22.

Did this behavior change again in a recent update?

On my drive home tonight, I noticed that the ambient lighting in the door armrests stayed on for the entire drive. My recollection is that those lights used to turn off once the car started moving, and would only be on when the car was stopped and the door was opened.

Edit: I'm on 2.52.22.
See my post #3 above. Sounds like the exact same thing you're experiencing. It also sounds like you have the ambient light toggle turned on. Hence the ambient light staying on for the entire drive. If you toggle the ambient light off, then the lights will turn off when you start moving but stay on when the car stops or door opens.

I just got my car in October of 2016 and It's always been this way for me so I don't think this behavior changed.

My "Ambient" button, since I got this CPO 2013 P85+ a year ago, has always made the arm rest lights turn on at a dim level while driving (at least at night; that's the only time I notice them). I left it on for a while, mostly because I know someone paid a lot for them, but now they are off because I find the extra cabin lights distracting.

Hmm. Yes, the Ambient light button is toggled on (as it always has been, to my knowledge), and turning it off while driving turns off the ambient lighting. For some reason, I just don't recall the armrest lights staying on while the car was in motion. They were noticeably bright, which is why I ... noticed this.

If nobody else has noticed a change, then perhaps the button was turned off before and I just didn't realize it, or perhaps it has something to do with the screen brightness as post #4 mentions.