Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient lighting for non PUP X's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sent an escalated email to tesla headquarters:

I recently was given a loaner model x while mine was being fixed. I loved the ambient lighting in the loaner that I drove. Just curious now if that can be activated in my model x non PUP. This is now standard with all model x's. It looks like all the lighting is there just not turned on or plugged in. If you would consider to have an upgrade path for those non PUP tesla owners it would be great to have this option. I appreciate your time and consideration. Thanks Steven Johnson. PS: my tesla has been the best decision we have made. Love our X
Hello Steven,

Thanks for contacting Tesla. I am going to work with your local service manager to see if the ambient lighting feature is available for your Model X. We will contact you soon with an answer. Thanks for your support!

Best,

Emmett D. | Executive Care Tesla

I hope this means ambient lighting for all

Interesting, I'll be curious what they do. I've made similar requests of the SC in regards to retrofitting options and responses has varied. Some they seem willing to do if you pay for the parts, like high amperage charger, driving lights or tow bar. Others, they claim to have no guidance from corporate, such as bio-weapon defense mode (although they sold me the HEPA filter), ambient lighting and self-presenting doors. I'd be willing to pay a small fee to have options enabled that are now standard where the underlying hardware already exists.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Interesting, I'll be curious what they do. I've made similar requests of the SC in regards to retrofitting options and responses has varied. Some they seem willing to do if you pay for the parts, like high amperage charger, driving lights or tow bar. Others, they claim to have no guidance from corporate, such as bio-weapon defense mode (although they sold me the HEPA filter), ambient lighting and self-presenting doors. I'd be willing to pay a small fee to have options enabled that are now standard where the underlying hardware already exists.

How much was the HEPA filter? Does it work? They won't activate BioWeapon mode even with it (self)-installed?

How much was the HEPA filter? Does it work? They won't activate BioWeapon mode even with it (self)-installed?
$175 plus tax. They offered to install it as well, but I opted to install myself. I assumed they'd want 30 min labor to install it, but I didn't actually ask. In either case, they mentioned they couldn't enable the bio-weapon button in climate. The button is a bit of a gimmick though anyway, since you get the biggest benefits just having it installed. All fresh air passes through the HEPA filter, so just turning off recirculate filters all incoming air. My understanding then, if you want to same effect as bio-weapon mode, just max the fan speed.

Since installing it, I've noticed less dust accumulating in the car and less odor in traffic and while driving past water treatment plants.

• Informative
I recently sent an escalated email to tesla headquarters:

I recently was given a loaner model x while mine was being fixed. I loved the ambient lighting in the loaner that I drove. Just curious now if that can be activated in my model x non PUP. This is now standard with all model x's. It looks like all the lighting is there just not turned on or plugged in. If you would consider to have an upgrade path for those non PUP tesla owners it would be great to have this option. I appreciate your time and consideration. Thanks Steven Johnson. PS: my tesla has been the best decision we have made. Love our X
Hello Steven,

Thanks for contacting Tesla. I am going to work with your local service manager to see if the ambient lighting feature is available for your Model X. We will contact you soon with an answer. Thanks for your support!

Best,

Emmett D. | Executive Care Tesla

I hope this means ambient lighting for all

Let us know what happens! I'd be very interested to do this also on my non PUP X. I installed the Abstract Ocean lights including the ones under the front seats which helped a lot.

Gee, and all I want is for them to remove the code from the radio that makes it start over on Slacker every time you get in the car if you didn't pay for UHFS.

As an FYI, not all the ambient lights are in the car if you didn't buy the package. For instance, the under-seat light plugs are there, but the lights aren't.

• Disagree
Gee, and all I want is for them to remove the code from the radio that makes it start over on Slacker every time you get in the car if you didn't pay for UHFS.

As an FYI, not all the ambient lights are in the car if you didn't buy the package. For instance, the under-seat light plugs are there, but the lights aren't.

Depends on the installer...one of the negatives of poor quality control is that you get panel gaps. One of the positives of poor quality control is you sometimes get items you're not supposed to. This is probably where simplifying the build helps too.

In any case, the ambient lighting in the door panels should all be there and is software controlled. The underseat lighting may or may not be there depending on whether Fred, Bob, or Sue built your car that day.

• Funny
Reactions: outie
I installed the two under-seat lights when I replaced the interior lights with AO lights. When the SC replaced my driver's seat, the new seat came with a light installed. Since it was the OE light and nowhere near as bright as the AO lights, I swapped it with the one in the glove box.

Depends on the installer...one of the negatives of poor quality control is that you get panel gaps. One of the positives of poor quality control is you sometimes get items you're not supposed to. This is probably where simplifying the build helps too.

In any case, the ambient lighting in the door panels should all be there and is software controlled. The underseat lighting may or may not be there depending on whether Fred, Bob, or Sue built your car that day.

I didn't get PUP but got the under seat lights in X, but had to install them myself in our same-year S!

It appears it's a crap shoot if you get all the lights without having ordered PUP. My late 2016 Model X didn't have the under-seat lights.

Which, of course, makes it really hard for Tesla to offer it to "all" customers as an upgrade. It turns into some kind of weird by VIN table, which will frustrate some customers that they can't upgrade, and giving it away will frustrate people who did pay for it and wonder why. Seems like a bunch of negative scenarios for Tesla for little upside.

Which, of course, makes it really hard for Tesla to offer it to "all" customers as an upgrade. It turns into some kind of weird by VIN table, which will frustrate some customers that they can't upgrade, and giving it away will frustrate people who did pay for it and wonder why. Seems like a bunch of negative scenarios for Tesla for little upside.

Hats quite optimistic. I’d say they just don’t know who has it period. As another poster above, my AP1 X had them. AP2 did not. So I’m more sure they purposely put them in some and others..