Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if the Model 3 has any ambient lighting options or will the interior be just black at night with some lighting from the 15" screen?
I believe there is ambient lighting in the footwells, in the front door pockets, and under the front seats for the rear passengers. I recall that was what I saw during the test drive videos at the 50 car handover event.

A missed opportunity IMO. There should be more color-selectable ambient lighting in areas where it’s more visible, as many other cars have. Those who don’t like it, can switch it off/change intensity or colors.

E244DAD2-0AF2-49EE-9286-E0A0009271A9.jpeg

825FF9D6-5522-4A90-8FF7-08D7C8EA0DEF.jpeg

Reactions: insaneoctane
Ive experienced this in my father-in-law's Buick Enclave. At first it seemed silly, but the more I rode in it the more I appreciated how it expanded the "stage" of the interior and made it feel bigger than it really was. it was subtle and most effective at night. one that Yu could choose the color and intensity would've been nice. aftermarket would still be an option...
2015-Buick-Enclave-lighting.jpg

Last edited:
Would be neat, but we're also using 100k cars as examples so far. Well maybe a car that starts in the 50-60k range with the E class :).
This is why I’m glad there is a Model 3 because I wouldn’t want to spend a dime on this type of crap. Save it for the euro luxe boats.

A few strategically placed leds, sure. Disco lighting? No thanks.

If the auto mfr is going to put in LED interior lighting, which most do now, making them color change is incrementally little cost. Many 30K vehicles have programmable interior lighting color today. If you don't like "disco colors", you simple set them to white. The added programmable color ambient lighting is more a "design" element rather than functional.

I can appreciate the ambiance and premium "feel" the ambient lighting provides, but the colors are bit much. Reminds me too much of some high school kid who is tricking their car out with stuff from the JC Whitney catalog. Probably showing my age there...:p Anyway, at least it can be configured to something bit more muted. Not a deal breaker feature for me though.

Reactions: DR61