TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ambient lights for the 3rd row model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tinanbran, Nov 19, 2016.

1. tinanbran

tinanbran Member

Does anyone know where to connect to allow me to put some ambient lights in the trunk for the kids, I never realized that they have nothing back there to give any light at all. I want to put some strip lights like the ones built into the doors in the rear. It needs to be on only when the car is driving and preferably with ambient lights. I asked yesterday at the SC and they didn't realize there was none either but did say they cant do it... :(

2. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Non too bright LED strips should do the job. Only medium difficulty would be to wire them into the ambient light circuit.

3. tinanbran

tinanbran Member

I was thinking the same but was not sure if anyone has done it before. I like the ones you have Stefan but I need them all the time.

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Well not all the time - only when driving. I'll peruse the wiring circuits to see if there is something convenient to tap in.

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

OK, there is a connector for the ambient lights in the left side B Pillar that could be used.

6. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

How often do you carry kids in the third row? If it's not too frequent, maybe you'd be better off with some sort of battery-powered LED solution, rather than embarking on a big project?

7. tinanbran

tinanbran Member

Yeah no... everyday we use it. I think I am going to drag Stefan out and try and use the connection for ambient light he has found. I will document the whole thing.

• Like x 1
  8. tinanbran

tinanbran Member

Thanks! I may need to borrow you and the documents to do this one...

9. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

One could get fancy and install the lights to be activated either by the ambient light circuit or the trunk open light circuit by using some diodes to protect the circuits from each other. backseatlight.JPG

10. Hota

Hota Member

Do keep us posted as I'm running into the same situation!

11. tinanbran

tinanbran Member

I have not forgotten it has just been really crazy at work and I have to get this done in the next few weeks before we leave on our 2400km road trip!