Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear as mud......is Tesla installing the Ryzen GPU in Model Y's out of Fremont right now?
Zapcar is likely talking about M3 judging by his username. There is less confidence in that data.

For MY, there has been no official word that they have switched to AMD but there have been reports from SAs that sometime on 1/9 Fremont switched to AMD. Since some SAs tell facts (they can only see what chip you have, not what battery you have) and others make things up to make you keep your order, it is hard to believe what they say. My SA told me on 1/10 that no updates had been done yet regarding the 12V, cpu or rear glass. Yet he has since confirmed that my car built on 1/14 has the AMD and li-ion 12v. I am hoping he is correct on the 12v but I am getting a car with tow and I have not been notified that some features will not work currently so I will find out when I get my car later today.

My guess is unless the new Li-ion battery has a data connection to the car, it cannot be identified by the computer. Unless there is a database where every part number is entered manually for each car, the car computer has no way of identifying what parts are attached unless they have a data connection. If only one of these SAs wanted to be honest and show the data they are looking at (a screenshot of whatever they are using to identify these parts) then we could start believing what they are spewing. Or Tesla created a legit window sticker or build sheet it would be much easier to track these features.

My guess is unless the new Li-ion battery has a data connection to the car, it cannot be identified by the computer. Unless there is a database where every part number is entered manually for each car, the car computer has no way of identifying what parts are attached unless they have a data connection. If only one of these SAs wanted to be honest and show the data they are looking at (a screenshot of whatever they are using to identify these parts) then we could start believing what they are spewing. Or Tesla created a legit window sticker or build sheet it would be much easier to track these features.

The Li Ion battery is at 15V versus 12V for the lead acid battery. It seems like there should be some way for the car to see the difference.

Zapcar is likely talking about M3 judging by his username. There is less confidence in that data.

For MY, there has been no official word that they have switched to AMD but there have been reports from SAs that sometime on 1/9 Fremont switched to AMD. Since some SAs tell facts (they can only see what chip you have, not what battery you have) and others make things up to make you keep your order, it is hard to believe what they say. My SA told me on 1/10 that no updates had been done yet regarding the 12V, cpu or rear glass. Yet he has since confirmed that my car built on 1/14 has the AMD and li-ion 12v. I am hoping he is correct on the 12v but I am getting a car with tow and I have not been notified that some features will not work currently so I will find out when I get my car later today.

The new battery suppose to have higher voltage than the old one. If someone who has new battery could measure voltage of cigarette lighter... It should be around 15v for new battery vs 12v for old when battery is not charging. If measured voltage is different then we would get another way to validate if the car has new battery or not.

Last edited:

For QA, recall and safety purposes Tesla should have build sheets in a database for each vehicle so they can identify what parts are installed all the way to supplier and batch. They would not want to do a fleet wide recall of all Model Ys if only some had the part (12v vs 15.5v battery)

I know for a fact that is how mature car companies do it like VW, Toyota, etc, but cannot speak to whether it’s Govt mandated or specifically if Tesla does it.

Reactions: Mrbrock
For QA, recall and safety purposes Tesla should have build sheets in a database for each vehicle so they can identify what parts are installed all the way to supplier and batch. They would not want to do a fleet wide recall of all Model Ys if only some had the part (12v vs 15.5v battery)

I know for a fact that is how mature car companies do it like VW, Toyota, etc, but cannot speak to whether it’s Govt mandated or specifically if Tesla does it.
Just because they have that doesn't mean that sales people would have access to it.

Just because they have that doesn't mean that sales people would have access to it.
True. But the techs do which is why I’ve recommended in the past talking to the Service Center techs vs an SA if you can.

The techs have the ability to look up build data on the cars. Which is why some SAs say they can’t (because they can’t) and others can (because they either have access to or know how to use the maintenance apps or they talk to a tech who gives them the answer).

Reactions: DrGriz

I believe the Li-ion battery is higher voltage (about 15.5V), so, since the car's systems must be able to monitor voltage in order to keep the small battery charged, the car should be able to identify the battery.

.... oops. Replies before seeing several others have said this.

Another M3 owner claiming to have AMD. Thought I’d share.
C986C627-3D43-4015-B81B-3992B29D6B59.jpeg

Actually, at this point I can't remember if she directly confirmed anything about the battery. It might have been something like if the Ryzen chip isn't in there then the 12 volt probably isn't either. But she definitely did seem extremely confident in the data she pulled up about the chip.

Everyone I've talked to at Tesla, which is several people, they all said that they can confirm this stuff once they have a VIN. So I called in after getting a VIN and this is what they told me. I guess different employees have different depth of access to info but there's another way in which something about this Intel chip is displayed that she can also see, the lady that helped me last time. So I trust her information on that and delayed my order.

For what it's worth I called Tesla asking about procuring the AMD Ryzen MCU for my 2018 Model 3 and was told by an escalations contact that the option will never be offered as its tied to the Li-Ion 12V and has different wiring. The voltage difference is negligible for the MCU so I don't think that is it and I'd be surprised if they changed the connectors on the MCU to not give them the ability to retrofit it into older gen cars (if they decided to do that again).

For what it's worth I called Tesla asking about procuring the AMD Ryzen MCU for my 2018 Model 3 and was told by an escalations contact that the option will never be offered as its tied to the Li-Ion 12V and has different wiring. The voltage difference is negligible for the MCU so I don't think that is it and I'd be surprised if they changed the connectors on the MCU to not give them the ability to retrofit it into older gen cars (if they decided to do that again).
The bottom line is - it isn't going to be an upgrade option offered by Tesla. They've confirmed this several times over the last couple of weeks.

It doesn't matter what the "actual" reason is, does it?

So, I can confirm AMD and Li-ion 12V. No dual glazed rear windows. No passenger lumbar (still). Working wireless phone charger. No heated wiper tray.

Birthday 1/14/21, NF360XXX

The upgrade to HEPA (bio weapon defense) has added a new upper tray above the battery so it is much harder to see without removing the frunk tub but thanks to others I can verify that this red cable and silver capped battery is the type used on li-ion and not the old lead acid style.

7C80E492-7FC4-4806-8713-3073CE2758C6.jpeg

CDEF8C13-3A5F-4DC9-A57D-0B55F6F8465A.jpeg

D0B927F1-CB54-407B-92D6-BA8F599065DE.jpeg

Got VIN (F366xxx) assigned for MYLR today. Checked with SA for processor. He said that its build date is today (1/20) but Intel processor. I thought its AMD for all MY builds since this week. Hope SA is wrong!
If you do get intel, it means that they switched back which would suck. I noticed few more people are now getting Ryzen on M3. Wonder if they flipped the supply and then again in few weeks they’ll flip back to MY.

Have you reached out to the phone/chat support and see what they say?

So, I can confirm AMD and Li-ion 12V. No dual glazed rear windows. No passenger lumbar (still). Working wireless phone charger. No heated wiper tray.

Birthday 1/14/21, NF360XXX

The upgrade to HEPA (bio weapon defense) has added a new upper tray above the battery so it is much harder to see without removing the frunk tub but thanks to others I can verify that this red cable and silver capped battery is the type used on li-ion and not the old lead acid style.

View attachment 758096
View attachment 758097
View attachment 758098
model y?