Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am traditionally a Buy a car and then tow out the corpse 10-15 years later . With these EV's I am not really sure what to expect long term. I do expect the values of the Y to plummit once they rid themselves of the backlog.
I'm 100% that guy, and, usually only bought used cars! Never traded in or sold a car, and have only bought two new cars in my life. And the first one didn't really count; we were living in Germany and could buy a BMW cheaply through the military buying service, so we did for our 20th anniversary. And we still have that car. And the second one was only 3 years ago.

But I'm 65 so when I buy the next level Y in a year or so I'm probably done buying cars. But I also don't want to wait a year and a half, so I'll get this at my $53K price, drive it a year or so, and probably get $50K back then and buy the 'final' one. So I'm not going to drag it out waiting for a chip or a pane of glass. I'll get it, love it, and in a year or so move on to something a level of magnitude better than anything we'll get now, chip or no chip.

Hey guys looking for a little advice. So I have a M3 LR on order with a delivery window around 1/20. My VIN is 153XXX with a build date of 12/31 at 1120pm. So according to the tracker there are 2 M3 LR with AMD chip and lithium battery upgrades with VIN 139 and 154. I fall in the middle of them idk if I'm grasping at straws here in the hopes I get the updated hardware. For me the AMD chip would be a super sweet upgrade, but the lithium battery is kind of a must / deal breaker for me. Maybe I'm over reacting and would love some feed back but I hear horror stories of ppl stranded due to the 12v battery just dying on ppl. I work offshore and I can't have my wife stranded like that. Anways would love to hear what ppl think. I am super pumped to get my car but this possible upgrade does give me anxiety about my delivery and Tesla reps are in the dark about what we get.

Hey guys looking for a little advice. So I have a M3 LR on order with a delivery window around 1/20. My VIN is 153XXX with a build date of 12/31 at 1120pm. So according to the tracker there are 2 M3 LR with AMD chip and lithium battery upgrades with VIN 139 and 154. I fall in the middle of them idk if I'm grasping at straws here in the hopes I get the updated hardware. For me the AMD chip would be a super sweet upgrade, but the lithium battery is kind of a must / deal breaker for me. Maybe I'm over reacting and would love some feed back but I hear horror stories of ppl stranded due to the 12v battery just dying on ppl. I work offshore and I can't have my wife stranded like that. Anways would love to hear what ppl think. I am super pumped to get my car but this possible upgrade does give me anxiety about my delivery and Tesla reps are in the dark about what we get.
How do you track your delivery?

I think some people are missing the bigger picture of the new MCU. This should in theory effect everything user interface related, including responsiveness of pressing a button and it going to a subscreen, maps responsiveness, visualizations for autopilot etc. Also longer term, when Tesla continues to do software updates they are likely to push things harder assuming this new AMD chip is their benchmark which is going to make the Intel folks in a situation where the UI continues to feel more and more unresponsive and laggy as time goes on.
THIS! This is why you should try to get newer chip, AMD! I understand you will not see much diff right now but longer term you will be better off with newer hardware. now if you can't get it, than its fine. Tesla will offer upgrade program later this year and I highly suggest folks with intel chip should upgrade to new hardware.

Reactions: DrGriz
Reactions: DrGriz
I am starting to think they put the new MCUs into a production day's worth of cars because of a part shortage on MCU2. Given builds in the last 2 weeks still have MCU2, they still have to use all of the them before switching to MCU3.

Reactions: Tesraki
Just saw this in Model Y user manual (link: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla)

At least it is acknowledged from Tesla, they are switching the Car PCs this year. It will just be a matter of luck if you are getting delivery in coming months whether you get it.

1641479875308.png

How did you find the build date?

Just saw this in Model Y user manual (link: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla)

At least it is acknowledged from Tesla, they are switching the Car PCs this year. It will just be a matter of luck if you are getting delivery in coming months whether you get it.

View attachment 752610
It will be interesting to see Cars delivered with a January manufacture date to see if there was a hard change .

Reactions: MR F
Personally I'm not that concerned about future proofing because let's face it, we're probably about 6 months away from a major step change once they have 4680, battery pack, megacastings, etc, all sorted. So I'll probably only keep whatever I get in the next month or so a year or 18 months, sell it, and get the fully actualized series 2 MY. And that will be the car I intend to keep long term. By then it'll have the headlights, maybe air suspension, and all the computer upgrades, maybe even FSD by then, who knows?

So for me any car I get now is strictly sort of short term anyhow while I wait for the fully actualized series 2 with the million mile battery that I'll keep 'forever'.
Couldn't agree more - I have a mid-year build 2021 MYLR ordered in April when the base price was 50,490. Has the double pane windows, wiper upgrades, 82kw battery and other cosmetic updates. Plenty of car for me for the next two or three years at which point I'll trade in for a Y or X or cyber with 500+ mi of range and god knows what other enhancements Elon and co will cook up. Not sure what all the hand wringing is about over a slightly quicker infotainment interface and "possible" future applications, even with the Atom you're getting an incredible technology that will only get better with software updates.

Is it possible the AMD/Ryzen draws less power, reducing phantom load in sentry mode and general battery drain in non-driving modes?
If anything, it probably has a slightly higher power draw than the Intel chip. In either case, I don't think infotainment power draw has much impact on the overall power draw of Sentry Mode. The car was never designed with Sentry Mode in mind, and it was added later on as a handy feature, but one that requires the entire car to be "on" which is what results in the high power draw.