Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with my SA yesterday to confrim a few things prior to delivery this Friday. He confirmed my car has the Intel chip. 12/31 build 356 vin. Oh well.
I would probably reject that if I were you. That is a pretty old build date for a car being sold at the end of Jan. It is most likely a reject from another customer that may or may not have needed some work prior to making it available for matches again. That being said, depends on your circumstances and how urgently you need a car. The Atom is still fine and what almost all of the fleet has right now, so it's not like it won't be capable for many more years to come. But it may be more limited when it comes to some future features/visualizations and responsiveness will always be a challenge compared to newer processors.

So dumb question I received my model y long range on jan 7 and it’s Intel atom. Will Tesla retrofit or no? I feel so unlucky missing out by a few days
Unfortunately not. Rumor has it that the Ryzen is coupled with the Li-ion battery and the latter is also not a retrofit that Tesla is offering because it supposedly isn't all that easy to just swap that out.

if 99.9% of the fleet across 3/y/s/x have the atom ( or worse ) you can rest easy that at SOME point the AMD will be available. It may be a different chipset that runs slightly lower than the current one if the lithium is in fact a requirement. There is no way they leave the ENTIRE fleet in the dust with features. It would be a bad look and would have essentially everyone who every purchased a Tesla quite upset.

if 99.9% of the fleet across 3/y/s/x have the atom ( or worse ) you can rest easy that at SOME point the AMD will be available. It may be a different chipset that runs slightly lower than the current one if the lithium is in fact a requirement. There is no way they leave the ENTIRE fleet in the dust with features. It would be a bad look and would have essentially everyone who every purchased a Tesla quite upset.
Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The correct conclusion is that because 99.9% of the fleet has the Atom processor, Tesla will continue supporting it, testing against it, and ensuring that their UI/updates still work on them. However, they have absolutely no requirement to support all new features that may require newer hardware on the older Atom processors. When you buy any other car, you get what you get when you buy it and if you want any upgrade in software or hardware you need to buy a new model year car. Tesla's OTA updates are fantastic but not an excuse to hold it over their head and pretend that you are owed every single feature update they make at some indeterminate point in the future.

And there is absolutely 0% chance they will offer a free upgrade to the AMD chip. Everyone who bought a Tesla with an Atom chip got exactly what they paid for and were promised at the time of purchase.

Don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The correct conclusion is that because 99.9% of the fleet has the Atom processor, Tesla will continue supporting it, testing against it, and ensuring that their UI/updates still work on them. However, they have absolutely no requirement to support all new features that may require newer hardware on the older Atom processors. When you buy any other car, you get what you get when you buy it and if you want any upgrade in software or hardware you need to buy a new model year car. Tesla's OTA updates are fantastic but not an excuse to hold it over their head and pretend that you are owed every single feature update they make at some indeterminate point in the future.

And there is absolutely 0% chance they will offer a free upgrade to the AMD chip. Everyone who bought a Tesla with an Atom chip got exactly what they paid for and were promised at the time of purchase.
I understand the upgrade path wont be free, but in my opinion it will be a paid option. And no, no one got exactly what they where promised when they paid for the car. Lots of features are added/removed without notice to the customer. If these options are cut and dry and listed I would agree. If Tesla wants to surprise the buyer with a new/old chip, lumbar/no lumbar, USB controller support vs none....the list goes on and on then they need to offer the option in the future.

I spoke with my SA yesterday to confrim a few things prior to delivery this Friday. He confirmed my car has the Intel chip. 12/31 build 356 vin. Oh well.
I would 100% reject this. People saying "you'll be fine! Atom is good!" are insane. Are you getting a discount? Check all the threads about the massive improvement the updated MCU brings. Now as yourself if you were buying a used 2022 in a few years would you verify which MCU it has? Would you pay the same for the Atom one as you would the Ryzen? There's you're answer. You'd be paying the same money for a car that is already worth less.

I picked up my 2022 Model Y yesterday in the Denver area, birthday was 1/13 vin 358336 has Ryzen, I will check the battery over the weekend if I can figure it out. From looking at the sheet, looks like most that have Ryzen have the Lithium also but I will try to confirm.

Reactions: orion2001