Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen upgrade for older Model Y [none offered]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kithytom

Special Guest
Jul 30, 2021
F3V4+837
Seems most Model Ys built before Jan 6, 2022 from Fremont have Intel Atom
One of my remote co-workers asked about upgrade possibility at service center in Vancouver, and the technician said infotainment upgrade will be available to certain Model 3/Y soon but do not know exactly when, price is 1,500 CAD. He said it will be through the app, under category 'Other,' for purchase and installation.

I checked my app no such option. Will you upgrade it?

One of my remote co-workers asked about upgrade possibility at service center in Vancouver, and the technician said infotainment upgrade will be available to certain Model 3/Y soon but do not know exactly when, price is 1,500 CAD. He said it will be through the app, under category 'Other,' for purchase and installation.

I would think that it would be available at some point, and have read that in a couple of places (not firm, just assumptions based on past changes to hardware). I wouldn't expect them to do it for a while, though, until they have sufficient supply for both production and retrofitting.

I would think that it would be available at some point, and have read that in a couple of places (not firm, just assumptions based on past changes to hardware). I wouldn't expect them to do it for a while, though, until they have sufficient supply for both production and retrofitting.

The only report I saw was that it was NOT going to be retrofitted, but that was from a non tesla (but fairly tesla connected) twitter source. No one knows what tesla will end up doing, but I would suggest people NOT expect to be retrofitting this any time soon, if ever.

By which time they'll have yet another MCU proc being used and .....on and on.

Not worth carping about. The car works well using either proc and the Ryzen was added because it was more available than the Intel Atom.
Note that Ryzen draws more power, which is likely why the Atom was chosen over Ryzen to start with.

Not worth carping about. The car works well using either proc and the Ryzen was added because it was more available than the Intel Atom.
Note that Ryzen draws more power, which is likely why the Atom was chosen over Ryzen to start with.
Don’t listen to this guy. He has no clue what he is talking about.

Wife just picked up her Fremont LRMY on March 3 and discovered that while it had the new lithium ion battery, it had the old Intel Atom Infotainment processor.

More BS. Do you need to be reported man wtf?

Ryzen didn't exist when the Intel Atom was chosen. WTF is wrong with you?

Ryzen didn't exist back then. Atom was chosen because it was cheap. And unless you're actually loading the CPU/GPU to near max (which the car shouldn't be most of the time), we're probably talking about a power consumption difference on the order of plugging in your phone to charge.

Ryzen was chosen because it is faster. It was spec'd for the S/X before the pandemic and supply chain isues (there are leaked documents from 2019 that show this). And they eventually transitioned the whole fleet.

More BS. Do you need to be reported man wtf?

Ryzen didn't exist when the Intel Atom was chosen. WTF is wrong with you?
I’m not sure when exactly Tesla made the decision internally to go with the Atom, but he’s not entirely wrong. The Ryzen was released in February of 2017, and Model 3’s were first to launch with the MCU 2 and production wasn’t till summer of 2017. The MCU 2 upgrades for Model S and Y happened in 2018.

Keep in mind the Ryzen chip they are using is a Zen 1, so by Ryzen standards it’s old. They are probably using them now because they are cheaper to use now, same reason they probably went Intel at first vs whatever the top of the line chip was at that time.

I’m not sure when exactly Tesla made the decision internally to go with the Atom, but he’s not entirely wrong. The Ryzen was released in February of 2017, and Model 3’s were first to launch with the MCU 2 and production wasn’t till summer of 2017. The MCU 2 upgrades for Model S and Y happened in 2018.

Keep in mind the Ryzen chip they are using is a Zen 1, so by Ryzen standards it’s old. They are probably using them now because they are cheaper to use now, same reason they probably went Intel at first vs whatever the top of the line chip was at that time.
Keep in mind it's a custom SOC in 2019/2020 manufactuired last year most likely. Do you even know what the hell that means? Tesla picked and chose the architectures they wanted to use which was Zen 1 cpu arch with NAVI gpu arch. He's so wrong, it's ridiculous and you trying to take his warped side is head scratching.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Keep in mind it's a custom SOC in 2019/2020 manufactuired last year most likely. Do you even know what the hell that means? Tesla picked and chose the architectures they wanted to use which was Zen 1 cpu arch with NAVI gpu arch. He's so wrong, it's ridiculous and you trying to take his warped side is head scratching.
The entire Intel/AMD MCU discussion/argument is over nothing.
The material difference the user might see is minuscule at best.
Even then, it can only seen if directly compared side to side in the same location with the same network access, etc, etc, fill in your variables.

At this point it's all emotional.
Purely about humble brags, or making people feel bad or 'gypped' because they didn't get the latest internet cause celeb.
That's not helping.

I note that Tesla continues to deliver both Intel and AMD-based MCU Model Y cars. Can't be that huge to them when that's the case.

Time to admit it's not worth the keyboard energy and move on. Done.

Last edited:

yea I wouldn't take SC words. Probably mistaken for FSD. I dont see much value in upgrading to AMD from Atom other than potential rev gen for Tesla

Even then, it can only seen if directly compared side to side in the same location with the same network access, etc, etc, fill in your variables.

Purely about humble brags, or making people feel bad or 'gypped' because they didn't get the latest internet cause celeb.
That's not helping.

I note that Tesla continues to deliver both Intel and AMD-based MCU Model Y cars. Can't be that huge to them when that's the case.

Lol. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

While the Atom is fine and obviously will remain supported for many years to come, it is ridiculous to pretend like there are no material differences between the two. The lag with backup cam doesn't exist on the new chipset. There is a lot more responsiveness and speed improvements in the infotainment UX. These are facts, not conjecture. It doesn't make or break the ownership experience, but for those dropping $60K+ today on a Tesla, it makes a lot of sense to care about future proofing and having the better tech. It's not rocket science.

That's not helping.

There was no argument until you created one by flat out making *sugar* up and trying to dissuade people from their preference or want of the Ryzen MCU in multiple threads. And now the audacity to spin it to suggest it's all emotional. I don't even know what to write... I don't understand what would compel you to even double down on this stance. /smh

There was no argument until you created one by flat out making *sugar* up and trying to dissuade people from their preference or want of the Ryzen MCU in multiple threads. And now the audacity to spin it to suggest it's all emotional. I don't even know what to write... I don't understand what would compel you to even double down on this stance. /smh
1646672437470.png

😉

Lol. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

While the Atom is fine and obviously will remain supported for many years to come, it is ridiculous to pretend like there are no material differences between the two. The lag with backup cam doesn't exist on the new chipset. There is a lot more responsiveness and speed improvements in the infotainment UX. These are facts, not conjecture. It doesn't make or break the ownership experience, but for those dropping $60K+ today on a Tesla, it makes a lot of sense to care about future proofing and having the better tech. It's not rocket science.
I have atom on my S and there's no lag. btw they're not even using the latest ryzen so it aint future proofing much other than getting bunch of people excited. while yes I hope my new car comes with it, its beyond my control and no I will not pay for the upgrade if it ever becomes avail.
emotional post right here