Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen upgrade for older Model Y [none offered]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They'll still get an update/upgrade, just with fewer changes. Likely at least the Spotify upgrades as well as the Audible addition.

This is not the first set of features that were not available to Intel model 3s / Ys. I have one of those myself (2018 Model 3P). Zoom is not available to intel model 3s at least I know it wasnt when it was launched on the car interface. There will be others. "Legacy" model S/X owners can tell model 3/Y owners how this goes if they have questions, as they have been dealing with it for years.

None of the above is going to keep some people from "discussing" it, though

That certainly wont stop people from complaining "discussing" the fact that "omg there is no upgrade".
I think we may be coming to a limit point with the Atom processor. I own a August '21 MYP (vision only) and a December '23 MYLR (with the AMD) both with FSD and the difference in performance on the infotainment system is noticeable between the two cars. Frankly I don't really care if it takes an extra 45 seconds to pull up Sentry Mode events or launch YouTube. I hardly care that following the v12 FSD rollout that it's taking 10+ seconds to get the camera views when backing up and I'm experiencing a poor frame rate and glitching. I'm even ok that occasionally one of the repeaters won't come up at all.

I do care about the impacts to FSD behavior though. I see markedly different behavior from FSD in certain situations that I'm hypothesizing to be related to the processing power.

Example 1:
When approaching an intersection with long turn lanes my '21 seems to take quite awhile figuring out which lane to get into if I'm turning left. At one specific intersection that I go through every day, it just straddles the solid white line between the left turn lane and straight lane for about 5 seconds then figures it out and gets into the left lane. My '23 in the same intersection shifts to the left before the lines start and smoothly gets into the left turn lane immediately. Both vehicles executed this lane selection flawlessly under v11.

Example 2:
The left turn into my neighborhood is from a 4-lane boulevard at 50MPH and the entrance has a center island. My '21 and '23 on v11 always executed this turn flawlessly and didn't try to cut too close to the center island. Now under v12.3.4 the '23 executes it flawlessly. My '21 slows to a creep and steers directly at the center island initially, then finally "sees" the center island 1/2 way through the turn, brakes to a crawl, and makes a hard right to go around it.

It seems that it's taking longer for FSD to determine what it needs to do in my '21 which is resulting is some FSD undesired behavior issues.

I do care about the impacts to FSD behavior though. I see markedly different behavior from FSD in certain situations that I'm hypothesizing to be related to the processing power.
None of the FSD processing is done on the Intel/AMD MCU. That is all handled on the HW3/HW4 processor. (And HW4 is currently running in HW3 emulation mode, and people say it performs worse than HW3 vehicles.)

I would say you should make sure all your cameras are clean, including that there isn't any off-gassing haze on the inside of the windshield for the front facing cameras, on your '21 MYP. Or you could try recalibrating the cameras on it.

None of the FSD processing is done on the Intel/AMD MCU. That is all handled on the HW3/HW4 processor. (And HW4 is currently running in HW3 emulation mode, and people say it performs worse than HW3 vehicles.)

I would say you should make sure all your cameras are clean, including that there isn't any off-gassing haze on the inside of the windshield for the front facing cameras, on your '21 MYP. Or you could try recalibrating the cameras on it.
Thanks for the intel, so my hypothesis is bunk then. The cameras are clean including the front-facing camera. I am familiar with the issue with the front camera. A friend vapes like a chimney and he started having an issue with FSD getting blinded pretty much any time the sun was low in the sky and we found a YouTube video on how to pop off the molding around the camera and clean the windshield. I haven't gotten any errors running FSD related to the cameras like you might if a camera gets obscured or sun blinded.

I will try recalibration to see if that makes any difference.

And I wonder who could’ve predicted it? 🤔

Who could have predicted what? That there would be no upgrade to AMD Ryzen? Pretty much everyone predicted that?

Thats like me predicting: " That certainly wont stop people from complaining "discussing" the fact that "omg there is no upgrade".

Its pretty easy to see from how much Tesla owners complain about just about anything that there will be people complaining about this too.

Who could have predicted what? That there would be no upgrade to AMD Ryzen? Pretty much everyone predicted that?
I won’t speak their names. But you can go to the earlier posts on this thread and from when the MCU2/3 changeover happened. Just being snarky since some people were actively telling others that there wasn’t a processing power difference between Intel and Ryzen.