Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen upgrade for older Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have atom on my S and there's no lag. btw they're not even using the latest ryzen so it aint future proofing much other than getting bunch of people excited. while yes I hope my new car comes with it, its beyond my control and no I will not pay for the upgrade if it ever becomes avail.
I mean the ryzen is several times faster than the atom. And the GPU is closer to 20x faster. Even if it's not the absolute top end product you can buy off the shelf today, does not mean it isn't significantly more future proof than the atom. If you're going to argue that the Ryzen was outdated on day 1, that argument applies even more so to the atom when it was launched on these cars in 2017.

I mean the ryzen is several times faster than the atom. And the GPU is closer to 20x faster. Even if it's not the absolute top end product you can buy off the shelf today, does not mean it isn't significantly more future proof than the atom. If you're going to argue that the Ryzen was outdated on day 1, that argument applies even more so to the atom when it was launched on these cars in 2017.
my point was stop whining about amd. 20x faster GPU doesn't mean anything at all. Practically that's only if they use graphics acceleration which I doubt and if they do, extra power drawn for something ridiculous for a car (range > anything else). At the end of the day, it's based on their software/OS that utilizes hardware. but of course most that whine don't know/understand that

Eitherway it's not in your control and even the atom is better than most offerings in the market today (let alone being about to get a car in time). There are bigger problems to fry but couch surfers have nothing better to do.

Keep in mind it's a custom SOC in 2019/2020 manufactuired last year most likely. Do you even know what the hell that means? Tesla picked and chose the architectures they wanted to use which was Zen 1 cpu arch with NAVI gpu arch. He's so wrong, it's ridiculous and you trying to take his warped side is head scratching.
You’re the one that’s getting all worked up. I know what it means and even if Tesla is having custom architecture added to the chip I was merely pointing out the Ryzen chip did exist back when they moved to the MCU2 when you said that Ryzen didn’t exist. Their custom chip might not have but the basic chip did. They went with Atom at the time even though it was outdated comparatively speaking it was cheap. Just like they are going with the Zen1 instead of Zen3, even though it’s four year old tech. It’s much cheaper.

And contrary to your opinion I would reject an Atom car and wait for a Ryzen if I was presented with that dilemma.

my point was stop whining about amd. 20x faster GPU doesn't mean anything at all. Practically that's only if they use graphics acceleration which I doubt and if they do, extra power drawn for something ridiculous for a car (range > anything else). At the end of the day, it's based on their software/OS that utilizes hardware. but of course most that whine don't know/understand that

Eitherway it's not in your control and even the atom is better than most offerings in the market today (let alone being about to get a car in time). There are bigger problems to fry but couch surfers have nothing better to do.
I mean it is kind of in your control. You have the ability to reject the atom cars. Which you should. There's no reason to pay the same money for an inferior product.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
20x faster GPU doesn't mean anything at all
I mean, there isn't even any point taking this discussion further with statements like this. To be clear, you are saying that the speed of the GPU... one of the primary components of the chip that impacts all the hardware accelerated rendering and visualization, doesn't matter at all. Next you're going to try and convince me that the AMD is an actual downgrade over the Atom because the GPU doesn't matter and it has a higher TDP than the Atom.

You’re the one that’s getting all worked up. I know what it means and even if Tesla is having custom architecture added to the chip I was merely pointing out the Ryzen chip did exist back when they moved to the MCU2 when you said that Ryzen didn’t exist. Their custom chip might not have but the basic chip did. They went with Atom at the time even though it was outdated comparatively speaking it was cheap. Just like they are going with the Zen1 instead of Zen3, even though it’s four year old tech. It’s much cheaper.

And contrary to your opinion I would reject an Atom car and wait for a Ryzen if I was presented with that dilemma.
Still wrong. The arch was released in 2017. They didn't have their custom SOC business running yet. That would come later. Atom MCU was 2018, thus it would have to have been planned and ordered in 2016/2017. How exactly is Tesla going to choose an arch that wasn't released when they were planning to release it in 2018, spend 2017 in production, and planned in likely 2016 maybe even earlier? And you cannot just slap a Ryzen 1 cpu into an MCU because they didn't have that capability in 2017. The gdamn arch was released in 2017 in desktop sockets. Were APU's of Zen 1 available then? Like wtf man?

And that is just the cpu arch. RNDA and NAVI did not exist in 2017. How the F is it gonna make it into any analysis by Tesla for production/release in 2018?

And I'd add that the poster you got behind is knowingly pushing misinformation that he made up. Timeframes "look" like they are possible if one doesn't really know what is required and their respective timeframes. It takes years before actual release dates to develop products. This is why I found it head scratching that anyone would reinforce this notion.

And whichever MCU you choose is your right, your choice it';s your freaking money. I'm not the one here making *sugar* up trying to convince ppl one way or the other.

Last edited:
Lol. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

While the Atom is fine and obviously will remain supported for many years to come, it is ridiculous to pretend like there are no material differences between the two. The lag with backup cam doesn't exist on the new chipset. There is a lot more responsiveness and speed improvements in the infotainment UX. These are facts, not conjecture. It doesn't make or break the ownership experience, but for those dropping $60K+ today on a Tesla, it makes a lot of sense to care about future proofing and having the better tech. It's not rocket science.
All the 'performance benefits' depend upon an internet connection for their relevant applications. Maps, Media, whatever.
The differences between Intel and AMD disappear when the internet connection is mediocre, which is more often the case than not.
Note there's no 5G in a Tesla, so it cannot get that extended data bandwidth.
This discussion tempest is in a teapot. Carry on.....

Reactions: Ron J.
All the 'performance benefits' depend upon an internet connection for their relevant applications. Maps, Media, whatever.
The differences between Intel and AMD disappear when the internet connection is mediocre, which is more often the case than not.
Note there's no 5G in a Tesla, so it cannot get that extended data bandwidth.
This discussion tempest is in a teapot. Carry on.....
If that is what you believe, you fundamentally misunderstand what hardware accelerated rendering is and how a beefier GPU can help. Y'all are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill. As I've said many times, Atom processors will be fine and will be supported in some form for a long time to come.

But to pretend that the AMD chip brings nothing useful to the table or that it doesn't have immediate and future proofing benefits is rather silly. There are objective improvements in the overall responsiveness and speed of the UI. The backup camera lag is already a concern with Atom cars that isn't an issue on AMD cars. There are FSD visualization UI components that are limited on Atom systems to reduce the burden on the GPU. Atom is fine, but it is objectively inferior to the AMD processors (and also a lot more dated). This is the nature of technology. 🤷‍♂️

If that is what you believe, you fundamentally misunderstand what hardware accelerated rendering is and how a beefier GPU can help. Y'all are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill. As I've said many times, Atom processors will be fine and will be supported in some form for a long time to come.

But to pretend that the AMD chip brings nothing useful to the table or that it doesn't have immediate and future proofing benefits is rather silly. There are objective improvements in the overall responsiveness and speed of the UI. The backup camera lag is already a concern with Atom cars that isn't an issue on AMD cars. There are FSD visualization UI components that are limited on Atom systems to reduce the burden on the GPU. Atom is fine, but it is objectively inferior to the AMD processors (and also a lot more dated). This is the nature of technology. 🤷‍♂️
sure, the onboard camera renderings and their display are factors, and so are many others, which do substantially include the quality of an internet connection as a backbone for the automated functions. and there will always be differences between the components. but to continue to argue that they are substantial, significantly differentiating the vehicle as a whole for the customer, is simple exaggeration.
you can on with this thread for as long as you wish, as this is a blog. it just exhibits how deep people are willing to go in defense of minutiae.

Don't feed the nut.

FSD uses dedicated hardware, unrelated to the Atom/Ryzen which is purely running the display UX

Correct me but I was assuming that the visitations are handled by the Atom / Ryzen? While this display is not necessarily related to the FSD directly or indirectly it’s at least still currently used. Others with cars older than mine on the older hardware obviously have limited visitations but still have the FSD capabilities.

try running web version roblox it gets laggy and crashes.
pre ordered 2021 Oct. 2022 MYP intel
what a shame they won't offer a conversion deal
i wanted to play Sonic so bad but they got rid of sonic and cup head and, probably no steam integration later for intel version later.

ill try conversion lol if i can find a wrecked car with amd with lithium battery module heated wiper and harness and such