Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amending Model 3 Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I couldn't see any thread that covers this, so wondering whether someone who has done this can share their experience.

I ordered a model 3 in mid-Jan with red paint, black interior and the 19" wheels (which at the time were the only option). The red paint was a $2900 option.

Have decided to switch to white exterior. My question is: in this situation would Tesla simply remove that red paint option when creating the final invoice (and keep everything else as is)? Or do they effectively re-price the vehicle at the current list prices? If they re-price everything, I'll end up paying more by removing the red paint.

I am waiting from a call back from my SA about this but I'd be interested in anyones experience of this.

Cheers,
Joe

I am not to sure if you they will re price the car on the price at time of order or the price today( I have a feeling it would be todays price but I could be wrong). Then again, I am pretty sure that you will be moved to the bottom of the queue, as if you have just placed an order today

Thanks. My understanding is that Tesla 'rules' have changed, and that you can change colour/wheels/interior before your VIN is assigned and keep your place in the queue. Changing models (eg M3 LR to P / M3 to My etc) will send you to the back.

Thanks. My understanding is that Tesla 'rules' have changed, and that you can change colour/wheels/interior before your VIN is assigned and keep your place in the queue. Changing models (eg M3 LR to P / M3 to My etc) will send you to the back.
Really? That would be great. Has anyone had experience doing this and not being dropped down the queue? I regret not ordering the bigger wheels on the MY RWD and was hoping to change.

I ordered an M3 SR White in February with an Aug - Oct delivery, I changed to Red in early March while in Perth at the centre. They advised at the time it put my delivery back to Nov-Dec. I hope it arrives this year but as I don't get to see a delivery estimate I don't expect I will hear anything until I receive a VIN.

I ordered an M3 SR White in February with an Aug - Oct delivery, I changed to Red in early March while in Perth at the centre. They advised at the time it put my delivery back to Nov-Dec. I hope it arrives this year but as I don't get to see a delivery estimate I don't expect I will hear anything until I receive a VIN.

Really Nov-Dec?!?! I almost changed my order from Red to Grey that I placed in mid Feb, but was told that I would be back of the line, glad I did not. I guess thats the frustrating thing, SA's can be very inconsistent with their information.

Thanks for the info. Does your account show the later delivery timeframe or still Aug-Oct? I won't change the colour if I will get pushed - the inconsistency in what is possible and how it works is annoying. If a VIN is assigned then I would expect to lose my order and rejoin the queue, but since Tesla doesn't build to order, making a change before VIN is assigned should be allowed. I'll update when I have spoken to the SA with what was said in case anyone else is interested.

Reactions: Blaq
Thanks for the info. Does your account show the later delivery timeframe or still Aug-Oct? I won't change the colour if I will get pushed - the inconsistency in what is possible and how it works is annoying. If a VIN is assigned then I would expect to lose my order and rejoin the queue, but since Tesla doesn't build to order, making a change before VIN is assigned should be allowed. I'll update when I have spoken to the SA with what was said in case anyone else is interested.
No. As I am more than 3,000k from the nearest delivery centre my account does not show any delivery time frame. I only had the estimate as I placed the original order & the info from the delivery centre in Perth when I changed the colour.

I hated the aero hubcaps on my M3 order but promised myself I would not go for any xtra cost - and took white with black seats / after hearing a video from sarahjawesome on taking off the ugly caps and cleaning the wheels …. I gave in called Tesla and added the sport wheels / for $1500 - the little photo of my car in the app updated and my deliver window is now 4 weeks less -

Alan g
If you can afford it keep the red especially if your buying instead of leasing - that color is. Stunning

Reactions: 121Gwatts
I hated the aero hubcaps on my M3 order but promised myself I would not go for any xtra cost - and took white with black seats / after hearing a video from sarahjawesome on taking off the ugly caps and cleaning the wheels …. I gave in called Tesla and added the sport wheels / for $1500 - the little photo of my car in the app updated and my deliver window is now 4 weeks less -

Alan g
If you can afford it keep the red especially if your buying instead of leasing - that color is. Stunning
This is an Australian post and looks like we may be expeciencing different outcomes when changing orders to those in the US, a few people are saying here that when changing the car's configuration you go back to the end of the queue.

Update from SA. Some useful info in case anyone else is considering a change.

Changing your exterior colour will not make your vehicle subject to the pricing inceases that occurred as you're locked into your price upon order. You'll see the price of the red exterior colour be subtracted from your order.

Changing colour will not push you to the back of the line, if more people have ordered Pearl white in your spec before you, this could push your timeline out. We unfortunately don't have a way to see positions and timelines in queue, so it would be a bit of a gamble on your end.

Hopefully this information helps, let us know if you'd like to make this change.

Thanks,

-The Tesla Team

This was my experience, and I didn’t actually make a change to the build. I only entered the modify order section and saved, and it basically reset the clock. If I remember correctly, there were warnings before entering that area you’d be going to the end of the line again. This was fine with me since my goal was to push delivery away from the middle of winter. I believe my original order date was October 2021.

That method of delaying was suggested by the local Tesla center.

Forward to January and I get a call my VIN was assigned. I was shocked because it was very early according to the initial estimate and again it was winter so I told them I just bought another car and I didn’t want it any more.

Forward to March and again I get a call that my VIN has been assigned. Explained I thought it was canceled and since I was still enjoying my Audi and didn’t want it. I asked, if I had a friend that wants it could they move it to them? They were happy to do so. Unfortunately none of my car buddies want anything do with a “kitchen appliance” as they call it. Order canceled!

Forward to May… I get another call, my VIN has been assigned. I was very confused, I’ve canceled this order twice and delayed it once. But… I just fueled up the Audi about 5 min before they called, so the pain at the pump was fresh in my mind. Needless to say I took the first day possible for delivery this time and it was in my garage 5 days later! Positive thing was my purchase price was held from time of order. Yes, they honored price from original order. I fully expected it to be the new pricing. But if you’re not going to force me, I’m not going to offer.

Forward to May… I get another call, my VIN has been assigned. I was very confused, I’ve canceled this order twice and delayed it once. But… I just fueled up the Audi about 5 min before they called, so the pain at the pump was fresh in my mind. Needless to say I took the first day possible for delivery this time and it was in my garage 5 days later! Positive thing was my purchase price was held from time of order. Yes, they honored price from original order. I fully expected it to be the new pricing. But if you’re not going to force me, I’m not going to offer.
Hahahaha what a story.

I'm in Australia so maybe this doesn't apply everywhere but my wife & I ordered a Model 3 then two weeks later we decided we wanted the Long Range variant.

I emailed the person at our Tesla dealership who had organised our test drive and he 'reset' something then told me to log in and click the "“Edit Design" button (or a button along those lines). I logged in and there was the button, I clicked it and it allowed me to rebuild our order from scratch. It kept our order number the same, so I feel we're still in the queue in our original position.

This is a really nice experience, one of those things that is so different ordering a Tesla compared to other car yards.

Reactions: cafz
This was my experience, and I didn’t actually make a change to the build. I only entered the modify order section and saved, and it basically reset the clock. If I remember correctly, there were warnings before entering that area you’d be going to the end of the line again. This was fine with me since my goal was to push delivery away from the middle of winter. I believe my original order date was October 2021.

That method of delaying was suggested by the local Tesla center.

Forward to January and I get a call my VIN was assigned. I was shocked because it was very early according to the initial estimate and again it was winter so I told them I just bought another car and I didn’t want it any more.

Forward to March and again I get a call that my VIN has been assigned. Explained I thought it was canceled and since I was still enjoying my Audi and didn’t want it. I asked, if I had a friend that wants it could they move it to them? They were happy to do so. Unfortunately none of my car buddies want anything do with a “kitchen appliance” as they call it. Order canceled!

How do you feel about the change from the Audi to the Tesla now? worth it? Thanks