TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

American Express & Tesla offer Factory Tour for Sept 13

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by benemac, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. benemac

benemac Member

I received an email from American Express about offerings they have and had a double-take when I noticed this:

Insider Access with Tesla Motors

Where:Tesla Motors Fremont Store, 45500 Fremont Blvd, Freemont, CA
    When:9/13 at 8am – 1:15pm or 9/13 at 12pm – 5:15pm
    Price:$400
    On sale:Thu 7/17 at 3pm ET
    Event of interest in Freemont, CA: Join Tesla Motors as they accelerate the world’s transition into electric mobility. Take an insider look into the groundbreaking factory of Tesla Motors and enjoy a scenic drive in a Model S, the world's first premium electric car that sets the standard for 21st century performance.

Go behind closed doors for an exclusive tour of the Tesla Motors factory
    Witness the unprecedented range of the Tesla Model S by partaking in a scenic driving experience
    Learn about the history, technology, and sustainable energy future of Tesla Motors with a presentation and Q&A
    Enjoy a midday lunch on-site at the factory hosted by a Tesla executive
    Conclude the day with a thematic gift

Either a morning or afternoon session is offered. Availability is limited. Drivers must have a valid drivers license and be 25 years of age or older to participate.*

Interesting. I always thought the tour could be a money-generated option. This could be a tryout to monitor a price point. Glad I have my tour set up for the end of September!
    Bernadette

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Interesting. Are you an Amex elite cardholder or something like that? I have a relatively lowly SPG Amex card and didn't receive such an offer (that I'd definitely take),

3. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

i have an issue of tesla exec selling his time for lunch to american express or whoever is compensating him or her. i hope tesla looks into that.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wonder what the thematic gift is.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

It looks like Tesla is aware of this event, and probably designated the Exec to have lunch with the AmExers. I bet he is 'sacrificing' his lunch hour for the cause.

6. benemac

benemac Member

It was a platinum American Express offer. Just received it via email this morning. I couldn't copy and paste the picture of the car, but this is a typical weekly email. It's the first time I saw a Tesla offer. Usually, it's tickets for shows.
    Just strange to see. I'm sure they're trying this out to see if the tour will entice someone to place a deposit on a car.
    Smart move and a moneymaker. Even without a car purchase.

7. loganthefirst

loganthefirst Member

I find it hilarious that they are offering this yet I was unable to use my Amex for my Model X reservation. Only Visa, which I can only assume is due the outrageous fee Amex would take off the top. First time I've been disappointed by Tesla.

8. benemac

benemac Member

You are so right. Who knows. This could be a step toward accepting the card. Luckily, I had another card that I wanted to use to get miles. And I'm glad I could charge any amount.

9. rnlass2

rnlass2 Member

I found the same problem with being unable to originally use my Amex for the reservation. The workaround turned out to be simple. Make your Amex the card of choice on Paypal and use Paypal to make the reservation!

10. timf

timf Member

Exactly what I did and worked like a charm. Paypal must have their service fee negotiated down to a lower percentage than Tesla could manage on their own.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#11 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    <soapbox>
    Credit Card Surcharges | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Unfortunately in many states there are stupid laws that prevent companies from adding credit card surcharges that would fairly represent the actual additional cost burden of the transaction. That, combined with the leaching of margin out of the state is why, although I have a couple of credit cards, I try to avoid them.

To make matters worse there can be hypocrisy in the law as government entities are allowed to impose them.

Title 9-A, §8-509: Credit card and debit card surcharge prohibition

The fact that they had to include the governmental clause should have been reason enough to make it clear that the law is wrong.
    </soapbox>

12. tekstrand24

tekstrand24 Member

Interesting. I am supposed to take delivery on the 13th at Fremont and have a tour.

13. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Other than the gift and lunch, wonder how it is different from the standard tour.

14. benemac

benemac Member

#14 benemac, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Let us know if your tour somehow breaks away from anyone on the AMEX deal. You might be lucky enough to join the same group. But since it seems that the intent is to get a sale out of the presentation, they may not want to take a chance with an owner joining the group. Enjoy the tour. We go on ours 2 weeks later. Very excited to see what they'll show us.

Bernadette

15. benemac

benemac Member

#15 benemac, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    I was wondering how the tour went? Looks like you got your car the same day. If you toured, did they take you with the Amex group?
    Congratulations on the car. You may still be in it and we won't hear from you for awhile. :)

Bernadette

16. tekstrand24

tekstrand24 Member

I don't know if the amex tour was at a different time but my tour was great. About 4 owners and their guests. It was really cool to see the old and new production lines. The robots were also working which was very aweaome to see.

17. benemac

benemac Member

I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the update. I'm sure the Amex tour was separate.

Bernadette